Magix movie editor

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Dave Watterson

Re: Magix movie editor

Post by Dave Watterson »

We hope to see Magix 16 at the CEMRIAC Training Day this Sunday. If no one else does it I will try to ask them about better English-language support. The Newcastle demo aroused such a strong positive response that I am looking forward to seeing this one.
- Dave
Pqtrick

Post by Pqtrick »

Careful! You may end up with a full time job.

If you can ask a question of how far back can versions go to run on Window 7. I have version 10 which is usefull for quick projects and especially for burning a quick DVD with a menu. (Version 10 will not install).

Now that I am poor and inpoverished retraite, with the depleted Livre against the Euro, I don't want to fork out again for another version. Pqtrcik. Villeurbqnne. Frqnce. (I could go on, it is a azerty nuisance).
leif

Post by leif »

Interested in Magix MEP 16+?

At least in the US, Magix is running a short time promotion for - as I understand - existing owners of the system at a favourable upgrade price of usd 60.
http://www.magix.com/us/online-marketin ... o-16-plus/
Maybe this offer is sort of acknowledgement from Magix. yhat there was something rotten in . . .

Magix UK has a similar offer at 60 GBP for a full plus-version:
http://www.magix.com/uk/movie-edit-pro/

By the way:
If you own a Videoi Pro X, you can upgrade to the new version Video Pro X2 with a 50 % discount.
leif

Post by leif »

Interested to learn more about Magix Movie Edit Pro?

Maybe MAGIX has listened to the many requests for better instructions?
There is a official book available from Magix: "Video editing made simple with Movie Edit Pro", which you can order here:
http://www.magix.com/uk/books/ (price: £29.99 + postage), or try Amazon etc.

Magix give the following introduction to the book:
Edit ProYou're not familar with terms such as "timeline" and "keyframe"? Then the official MAGIX Academy textbook is exactly what you need. Step-by-step, Rainer Hagner, author of the book, gets you set for video editing with MAGIX Movie Edit Pro 16.

Second edition, completely revised!
In addition to the explanations, each step is illustrated with high-quality color images. The book goes beyond video editing basics that are explained using MAGIX Movie Edit Pro Classic, Plus und Premium (starting with version 15) to cover advanced topics for more experienced users.

I am trying to get a copy. I hope it will give some real help to the users - not least the new ones.
leif

Post by leif »

Pqtrick wrote: . . . .how far back can versions go to run on Window 7. I have version 10 which is usefull for quick projects and especially for burning a quick DVD with a menu. (Version 10 will not install). . .).
According to Magix their videoproducts are only compatible from version:

Movie Edit Pro 15
Movie Edit Pro 15 Plus
Movies on DVD 8
Rescue Your Videotapes! (Version 2.0)
Video easy

http://www.magix.com/uk/support/support/windows-7/

So your version 10 will not run.
Roy

Post by Roy »

As I've got some time to spare and finished my editing with Adobe Pro 2 I am playing around with Magix again. The editing I have managed so far has given pleasing results. So much so I am toying with the idea of using a Blu-ray burner. I have a problem, maybe it's just my ignorance, but When I click ontop the burn button I notice thare is not a choice of burning to a Blu-ray disc. Only three choices are evident, one being DVD/CD burning. I have used this with very pleasing results. Is the fact that No Blu-ray writer is connected to the PC as yet the reason why the choice is not displayed in the Magix Burn programme. I must say that the DVD's I have burnt from the HDV timeline are exceptionally good when played back through an upscaling player. Another strange thing, I think, is that the DVD won't playback to the the PC from the DVD writer it was burnt on. It players back on all my DVD players though. Anyone got any thoughts on that. Roy
Roy

Post by Roy »

I have finally given up on Magix and have now downloaded a Sony Vegas trial which burns to Blu-ray with no problem. The "show me how" tutorials with this programme are really excellent. They not only tell you how to perform functions but actually show you by highlighting parts of the timeline etc which you have to use. After two days I have managed to make a complicated video using a rolling title, fade ins and outs, various transitions etc. I have burnt a HD quality 30 min. DVD from the timeline quite effortlessly Another thing I have been able to import clips and files onto The vegas programme which were made on Adobe Pro 2. So if I wish I can edit in HDV on Adobe Pro two ,transfer the finished video onto Vegas and burn it onto Blu-ray. All at a price much cheaper than investing in Adobe CS4. The last straw for me with Magix was when I burnt an HDV quality DVD from magix, the picture was brilliant but the sound was horribly disorted. I tried half a dozen times with different settings but the bad result was always the same.
leif

Post by leif »

Hi Roy. I am sorry to learn about your bad Magix experience.

For myself I must say, the experience is overall quite good. Since I upgraded my hardware to intel quad processor, I have only had minor problems. In my opinion Win 7 is often to blaim for problems like lockups.
I think it is a shame, that Microsoft again again have released new operating system before it is properly tested.

For Magix like all other editors it is important to have enough muscle in the pc.

At present I am testing the Magix Movie Edit Pro 16 Plus, and I have so far only good to tell about this editor.

It is important to remeber, that changeover to another editor is always hard work, because you will have to learn many new tricks - not so easy for us old dogs.
I know Vegas is a very good editor with a fine reputation. Ro, I wish you luck with the new tool.

In my opinion there is no such thing as the perfect editor. Every videomaker has her/his own preferences, so the important thing is for each of you to find the solution you feel comfortable with and that suits your preferred workflow. I think most editors are unnecessarily complicated due to many rarely used functions. Keep it simple with good basic functionality.
billyfromConsett

Post by billyfromConsett »

leif wrote:For myself I must say, the experience is overall quite good. Since I upgraded my hardware to intel quad processor, I have only had minor problems. In my opinion Win 7 is often to blaim for problems like lockups.
I think it is a shame, that Microsoft again again have released new opereting system before it is properly tested.
I have Windows 7, 64bit as the core OS. I admit I've an i7 rig with 8gb memory.

My rig rarely locks up, and has not done since I got the new memory - it's also 25% overclocked, and still stable.

I find Windows 7 to be really good. CS4 works reliably on it. In my experience, brute power is more stable than the choice of OS. For high def editing I'd say a quad core and 4gb memory should be the attractive options to keep stability gremlins to a minimum.
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Leif. I agree with you that most editing programmes have far to many applications and I think the average video maker uses only about 25% of what is offered, It's the same with camcorders. The manufacturers seems to try to outdo each other buy cramming in so many things that are never used by the average person. However I am very happy now with Sony vegas and After waiting a week to get a Verbatim BD-RE I have now Burnt my first Blu-ray Disc. Incidently for BD and DVD supplies I can highly recommend www.fidelis-corporation .com I received my order post free the very next day. :D