Magix movie editor

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
ADBest

Re: Magix movie editor

Post by ADBest »

Roy. I share your disappointment with Magix, there is obviously no peer support from within this forum so Magix can go onto the back burner for a while as I continue to do the things that matter to me in Premiere Pro. However Magix is still my only route into HD so I will persevere.

One of the options when burning a Magix project to disc is to burn to Blu ray. I have done this and saved to a standard DVD burned on a typical DVD RW drive. The resulting disc plays on a set top Blu ray player. My Blu ray player accepts normal, commercial and home produced, DVDs and up-scales them.

Hope that this answers your question.

Arthur
ned c

Post by ned c »

In answer to Roy's post. I regularly burn HD DVDs using the AVCHD CoDec to regular DVDs in a standard DVD recorder using Toast on a Mac; these play back in a Blu-Ray player but do not play in a regular DVD player. My co-worker burns HD DVDs on a PC using Vegas 9. The limitation is that the 4.7 GB standard DVDs will hold a maximum of about 30 minutes of HD.

ned c
ADBest

Post by ADBest »

Update.

Having now played around with editing HD footage on Magix and copying to DVD in Blu ray format I really must start editing in HD and distributing in both HD and SD. However the thought of spending a long time mastering Magix Movie Edit Pro 15+ and then being disappointed with it puts me off. The alternative, of full cost CS4, is not even worth contemplating.

Therefore I either stay with Premiere Pro and SD or plod on with Magix in the knowledge that the advanced version of Magix, Magix Video Pro X 2.0 can be bought for £173, (last years version), or £206.99 for the Feb 2010 release. This would be a giant leap of faith and I’m not too keen on taking £200 gambles.

Of course Premiere Elements could be an alternative solution.

The lack of support for Magix and the fact that I have so many editing projects in hand means that I cannot afford to spend the time necessary to get to grips with it. However it may be that ‘needs must’.

Arthur
ned c

Post by ned c »

I have found that Sony Studio Platinum 9 gives excellent results with both HDV and AVCHD source material and can burn both Blu Ray and standard DVDs, I see it is available in the UK for about GBP55, there is also a "Pro Pack" version that includes Sound Forge Studio for about GBP85. They come with tutorials and are quite intuitive. There is a free test download from the Sony Software site.

ned c
Roy

Post by Roy »

The Sony programmes mentioned by Ned can be purchased from EBAY. They are new and boxed from Sony dealers at the following prices.
Platinum edition £37.95 Post free
PRO PACK £56.99 Post free
These programmes only work with Windows XP and Vista( Not Windows 7)
ned c

Post by ned c »

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/mov ... ope/sysreq

At the Sony software website it shows that Vegas Studio Platinum 9 is compatible with Windows 7, ther offerings on e-bay may be older versions. The prices I quoted are from the UK Amazon.

ned c
ADBest

Post by ADBest »

Thanks to ned and Roy for their help.

I have downloaded Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9.0. (I am on the end of a very long wire from the telephone exchange and it took me 50 minutes).

If anyone from Magix reads this then they should have a look at the Sony tutorials. If they had something of that quality then they would have many more customers.

The tutorials are excellent. From my first hour spent simply following their advice I feel I can have a reasonable go at producing a project.

No doubt there will be the usual confusion which one experiences with any new application but I must congratulate Sony on the clear guidelines they set out.

The limit of only four video timelines will be a major drawback as in recent projects I have used up to twenty. There may be a work-around available but four timelines would certainly tax my ingenuity to produce some of my recent stuff.

Any comment Ned?

Thanks again.

Arthur
Roy

Post by Roy »

Hi Arthur. With regard to the Sony product, have you actually purchased the programme or downloaded a trial version? Have you got the Pro Pack? I ask because it seems to be rather limited to be restricted to 4 video tracks, I was wondering if the pro pack has more tracks available. I can't seem to find an Email address for Sony customer service to find out these things. Cheers Roy
ADBest

Post by ADBest »

Hi Roy

The copy of Sony vegas ..... I have downloaded is a 30 day trial and may be accessed from the following site http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/dow ... iestudiopp. Whether you can obtain the information to which you refer from it I don't know. The version is 9.0b Build (92).
Must get on with some serious SD editing tonight but may be able to snoop around the Sony site tomorrow.
Please let me know if you find answers to your question. Maybe Ned will have the answer.

Arthur
ADBest

Post by ADBest »

Looks like the address copied incorrectly in my last post.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/dow ... iestudiopp

Arthur
ADBest

Post by ADBest »

Roy

The following review confirms the fact that the sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum software is limited to four video and four audio tracks.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/software ... m-pro-pack

I don't know whether I could edit within this constraint.

Arthur
Roy

Post by Roy »

Arthur.
Thanks for info. I could manage ok with 4 video tracks, as I have rarely used more than three. I don't think, in fact I'm sure that I couldn't manage with four audio tracks. I remember in the old days using reel to reel audio tape recorders that was restricted to two tracks, and I managed to incorporate 8 tracks of audio in sync with film and managed to mix the eight tracks onto one recorder for final dubbing onto film stripe. It was tediously long to do but it worked. I am wondering if the same could be done with limited tracks on programmes such as Sony. In fact I don't know if I have the motive to do it, even if it was possible. Regarding Adobe programmes I suppose you know you can get great reductions in CS4 peice if you have any immediate relatives who are students and that as the programme allows two installations, two people can share the cost and it works our relatively cheap. A friend of mine has done just that. Cheers Roy
Roy

Post by Roy »

Further to my last post. The Sony Vegas 9 pro seems to be the only sony programme offering limitless video and audio tracks to work with. At a price of approx 500 USD it should do. You can get a trial of this if you want to play around with it. Click onto this URL
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro. Cheers Roy
ned c

Post by ned c »

In reply to Arthur; yes 4 video tracks plus a title track only in the Sony Studio software. For unlimited tracks you have to go to Vegas Pro 9.

ned c
billyfromConsett

Post by billyfromConsett »

Vegas Studio 9 Platinum is a pretty decent app, and it costs about £90. It hasn't had an update for a year though and is a bit flakey with AVCHD.

Magix have offered me an upgrade to Movie Edit Pro 16 Plus for £49.99. I might buy it.