Hood-Pro for cameras

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Peter Stedman

Hood-Pro for cameras

Post by Peter Stedman »

As ever I always enjoy and appreciate Tom Hardwick’s excellent articles in the Film & Video Maker especially this month’s discussion on the Hood-Pro for his Sony camera Z1. I think I might be correct in thinking that the LCD screen on the Z5 is a different size to the Sony Z1? This raises the question about whether the Hood-Pro is suitable for the Z5? Anyone know?

Another point mentioned, and is in other reviews, is the fact that the hood is easily moved when attached. I used to have a similar hood for my PD170 moons ago and this was also a problem. It has occured that it must be quite easy to construct a hood the does not move by having the edges of the hood extend over the edges of the screen frame when attached.

There was also another problem that I will explain. When moving camera location with the LCD screen open, it is vulnerable and easily knocked. I always close the screen for safety sake when moving the camera. Naturally with the Hood-Pro or any similar attachment, makes this action most inconvenient in practice.

A while ago I was at an event with another cameraman and he had a Sony (Model not known) that had a collapsible fold flat hood that did not have to be removed when the screen was folded back onto the camera with the screen still viewable. (I’m sure you know what I mean here!) The folded hood then protected the actual screen. Sadly I wasn’t able to get the make of this hood and wondered if anyone knows about this. I was certainly impressed. Discuss.
Pete
tom hardwick

Re: Hood-Pro for cameras

Post by tom hardwick »

I shall discuss, Peter.

Yes, the Hood Pro will fit perfectly and work beautifully on the Z5, FX1000 and Z7. Their screen resolutions are far higher than the Z1 and FX1, and because of this the Hood Pro works well. The Z1's screen is much better in direct sunlight than any of these hi-rez screens but it's resolution isn't good enough for the Hood-Pro though, as my article pictures prove.

The fold-flat hood you saw was probably on the Z5 or the FX1000. It's a standard Sony accessory, and has little magnets built into it to make it snap open and snap shut. Neat.

tom.
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

You can see some good photos of Sony's hood screen at the bottom of this page:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-hvr-z5- ... x1000.html
Peter Stedman

Post by Peter Stedman »

Thanks for that link Tom. I had actually found it yesterday and it contains lots of intesresting ideas that various folk have come up with. However the posting at the bottom of the first page by Tim Aklin saying "Here are some photos of the Sony hood etc", I certainly couldn't see any photos . . . . It might be my age again!
Pete
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

I've just re-clicked the link Peter, and the pictures are all there. Did you look on page 2 as well?
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

I was interested to read this thread because I have been shooting with the Sony EX1 for a year now and am getting ever more frustrated with the difficulty in focusing in daylight on the screen. I have a small hood which helps, I also have the hood with the magnification glass on the end that Tom writes about in the magazine. This isn't too bad but is rather in the way if the shoot is hectic and involves quick set ups. You may be interested to hear that I have been nagging Sony to improve matters but they have been very unhelpful - they want us to buy the EX3 with its far better finder which swings down over the screen. I asked Top-Teks to get one and fix it to my camera but there are practical difficulties and Sony want £300 just for the bit of plastic with a glass in it! Oh for the days of the DVCAM DSR 300 with its high resolution black and white finder, trouble is that the EX1 is a far better camera in all other respects!
Tony Grant

Post by Tony Grant »

In real terms one should not use the the LCD screen for focusing, it is always better to use the viewfinder and really if you want to do it as a pro get out a tape measure. But if you have trouble with focus let the camera do it for you in automatic and then flick to manual. If that really has not worked ever heard of soft focus!!

By the way if you are making a short film try and plug into a seperate screen and let the Director worry about it or be a pro and ask for a 'Focus Puller' you will see him mentioned on all the movies in the cinema.

While I am teaching bees to collect honey may I offer this little tip. The other day I took some film that was not really contrasty (hope thats the word spellcheck does not like it) enough, had no depth. may I suggest the following. Place your film clip on your timeline copy it and then place the copy on the time line below. Change the copy to monotone (bw) and mix the original and just experiment a little with your colour correction and wow that rather poor piece of film work can be made to look rather good.

Tony