DIY telecine machines

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Mike Shaw

Re: DIY telecine machines

Post by Mike Shaw »

Ah thanks Tom. OK. Now I know where to look.

I must say the light quality is beautifully even on this machine. So now my two Eumigs (silent) have been deligated to the attic - I'll be using this one in future methinks!
FILM THURSO

Post by FILM THURSO »

I never did like Eumig's drive system. They do make excellent quality projectors but the system without a top sprocket puts far too much load on the perforations and as super 8 is single sided perf, this makes for an even more unsteady image in the gate. It can cause frequent jumping especially towards the end of a reel which in turn can cause damage to the perfs. The rubber coated flywheel is also prone to wear and can result in the projector being unable to sustain the correct speeds. We have an S926GL which has great recording facilities but is no longer suitable for film transfer for these reasons.

By far the best machine for consistant operation is the Imac Bisonix, (also available as a Panasonic)a twin track dual 8mm machine with 100w lamp. It had switchable speeds and this could be tweaked on the circuit board. Additionally its drive belt was replacable with a Hoover belt which could be bought for 38p (probably £1.50 now)

The Elmo GS1200 is now our main super 8 machine but we are keen to get another Imac Bisonix. We use direct-gate transfer methods for 8mm right up to 35mm.
granfer

Post by granfer »

There is a vast range of information out there on this subject... I am continually finding new ideas to improve my existing transfer machines.
There are basically two methods...1. frame by frame (animation in reverse) at speeds from 4 fps to as much as 26 fps, and.... 2. at either 16.667 or 25 fps (PAL, 20 or 30fps for NTSC), speed and phase locked to a video camera. In both cases a Computer is involved as speed correction is needed. Method 2. is generally easier if sound is involved.
I am currently involved in the basic research for my Mk.4 machine which will be able to use both methods on Standard 8, Super 8 and Single 8.
The same principles can be extended to any gauge.
Granfer.
Brian Saberton

Post by Brian Saberton »

Mike, you probably know of these firms but if not you could try them for projector lamps: Derann Film Services Ltd, Dudley 01384 233191 (ask for Ged).
Classic Home Cinema, Cleethorpes 01472 291934 (Phil Sheard), Lees Cameras London 020 8202 9918. I hope you are successful.
Brian Saberton
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

Thanks Brian - I've made a note of all those names, though right now I'm all 'lamped up' and ready ... shan't be watching any of the films that came with the projector (all for £10!!) though until winter ... busy busy right now!