A soundcard for editing HDV

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
billyfromConsett

A soundcard for editing HDV

Post by billyfromConsett »

Anyone any knowledge about the merits of upgradng to something beyond the sound chip on my Asus mainboard for processing sound in Adobe Premiere CS4 when editing either standard but now mainly HDV.

I notice that at the pre-render stage, I can hear slight sound interference probably coming through what the cheap sound chip is struggling with. I am having some problems with handling the audio in the various sound channels too.
stingman

Re: A soundcard for editing HDV

Post by stingman »

I don`t edit in HDV (But it`s one of my Dreams to!) I use premiere Pro 1.5. The soundcard I use had Dolby Digital on so this should be OK, unless I`ve missed the point of this Thread (which won`t be the first time!). The card and all the speakers can be had for about 70 quid I think. They're about 4 years old now!

Smile and make someone HAPPY today ;-)
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Soundcards can be tres expensive !!! DAMHIKIJK

it depends on exactly what you want it to do Billy ...

finally got the sound running tickety boo on this latest rig without resorting to 300+ sobs soundcard
(I do a lot of plugging instruments in and out etc the firebox has more inputs/outputs you could ever want for us there video peeps)

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~nam ... D~6343.asp
http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product.asp?id=4529

might be worth shopping around for best deal
Stephen

Film making is not a matter of Life and Death
It's much more important than that.
billyfromConsett

Post by billyfromConsett »

The experience I've got over the last couple of months suggest that the bog standard sound chipset on the mainboard is good enough. Maybe CS4 does it all in software, and with a quad core we're rocking. I first had worries when the sound was a little choppy when playing the timeline. But after exporting it's fine.

CPU power rules :mrgreen:
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

As you know I still have the scars of the quad core episode!!!!

Intel certainly seem to have it sewn up! the AMD duo core 3Ghz is resigned to monitoring the temperature of my tea... :wink:

the sound on big productions playing along the time line on this Q9550 quad core (mmmmm...) is also choppy but as you say no probs on the finished item...

just put in there man by bored programmers to keep us awake!

sheesh...
Stephen

Film making is not a matter of Life and Death
It's much more important than that.