Canon HV30

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Dorothy

Canon HV30

Post by Dorothy »

I recently bought this camera but my pc refuses to install it. I am running on Windows XP. The hardware wizard finds the camera, recognizes it and begins the installation. It then says it's an AVC device and after a few seconds' pause, declares that the data is invalid and the installation fails.
Is there anyone out there who can solve this for me?
Thanks
tom hardwick

Re: Canon HV30

Post by tom hardwick »

What's to 'install' Dorothy? Simply connect the camera by Firewire and press play on the HV30.
ned c

Post by ned c »

Hi Dorothy. What edit software do have you installed on your PC? As Tom says connect your HV30 to the computer using Firewire, open your edit program and enter 'capture" the program should "see" your camera as a source for clips to be imported into the edit program so that you can create your edit. Check that your edit software will handle HDV (High Definition Video) as the older and less costly programs may not handle it.

ned c
Dorothy

Post by Dorothy »

Thanks Tom and Ned C - I have Pinnacle 9 and Movie Plus 5 as edit programmes. I have tried going from the edit program but it goes back into the install loop which leads to the AVC invalid data screen. Just connecting up the fire wire and switching on gets me into the 'Found New Hardware' and back to the loop from which I cannot seem to escape. I am beginning to wonder if it's a pc error rather than a camera error. I have tried going into the registry in case there's a permissions error, but to no avail.

Thanks for responding; I'll let you know when I finally triumph!
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

Just to get some background here Dot. You've been editing DV footage on this pc from another (earlier) camcorder? Successfully using firewire?

Then I suggest that if you've shot in the HDV mode in the Canon that you downconvert it to DV (in the HV30's menu) and feed that to the pc down firewire. All shouid be well.

tom.
Dorothy

Post by Dorothy »

Thanks Tom - but I've tried that as well. I just can't get past the guards who keep telling me the data is invalid. The pc recognises the camera but just won't play.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

You are not alone with this problem, Dorothy. A quick scan of the internet reveals many other people with the same issue.

CAMERA
Have you got it set to PLAY rather than CAMERA? That seems important.
There are various output options on the "play" menus which may be worth exploring.

WINDOWS
Windows XP is not good at handling HD. You certainly need to be on Service Pack 2 at least.
You might contemplate moving to Windows VISTA which has good support for HD.

CONNECTION
I understand the camera comes with a USB cable but not always with a Firewire one. You have not said which type you are using. The USB connection is mainly intended for downloading stills when you have used the camera for that purpose.
You need to use a Firewire 4pin-6pin cable for video. (Sorry if this is stating the obvious.)

SOFTWARE
I cannot tell from online notes whether or not Pinnacle 9 copes with HD but the Corel "Movie Plus 5" claims to do so.

Some people suggest connecting the camera first, then starting the software.

A frequent suggestion on forums is that you download and use the free program "HDV Split" which is available from the author's website (http://strony.aster.pl/paviko/) but lacking an HD camcorder I have not been able to try that.

Dave
Dorothy

Post by Dorothy »

Thanks Dave - lots of ideas there! I'll look at downloading the S/P2 - not sure if I've already got it but I'll certainly check. Yes, I am using the 4pin - 6 pin firewire (it didn't come with it but I already had one). I'll explore the various 'play' options you mention (yes I was on play, not camera).
It's good to know I'm not alone - at least it meaans it's not me being daft and overlooking the obvious. I'll have look at that website and the split.
Thanks for your help.

Dorothy
Roy

Post by Roy »

Hi Dorothy. Happy new year to you. I could be wrong, as I usually am, but having read your post I have been checking the comparison tables of Vegas Studio 9 versions. It would appear that Studio 9 basic does not capture or export HDV. The next versions up Studio 9 Platinum and Studio Platinum Pro do capture and export HDV. Why I noticed this is because I am contemplating Using the Vegas Platinum Pro version myself. You can also get a DVD tutorial from the states which gives you step by step instructions. If you are interested I could send the web site details to you. Hope this has been of some help. Roy
Dorothy

Post by Dorothy »

Thank you Roy. If I manage to get the pc to recognise the camera, I'll be looking for software that can edit HDV, so your note is very helpful. You're right, Studio 9 doesn't work with HDV, so I've changed the settings on the camera so that it downloads in DV format - except that I can't get the camera and pc to talk to each other - the 'new hardware wizard' just will not accept the camera and declares there is invalid data. If I go to the edit programme first, it tells me that I am not connected! I've tried it in as many different ways as I can discover, all to no avail thus far; but I'm very grateful to all those who have offered ideas and suggestions. It's good to know there are so many folk willing to help and offer support.

And thank you for your New Year greeting - which I reciprocate in full.
Dorothy
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Another thought, Dorothy ... we'll crack this one between us all ...

You can see whether the FireWire Port on your PC is working by looking at the Device Manager.

Right-click on "My Computer" and then click on "Properties".
Select the "Hardware" tab and click on "Device Manager".
Look for the FireWire controller (often shown as "IEEE1394 Bus host controllers") in the list.
If it is not there then the port is not properly installed.
If you see a yellow exclamation mark, then you need to install the drivers, which are usually on a CD that comes with the FireWire card or can be downloaded from the manufacturer's website.

As others have suggested it is also worth finding a friend with a similar Windows XP computer and their own working firewire connection ... and trying your camcorder on it. There is a small chance that the problem is at the camcorder end rather than the computer end.

Dave
stingman

Post by stingman »

I once found that if my camera was set to record when I switched on the camera AFTER plugging in the firewire, my computer would shut down. It doesn`t now but we do get oddities now and again!

be good and I hope you sort it out....

Stingman
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
billyfromConsett

Post by billyfromConsett »

Dorothy- it sounds like the edit app maybe doesn't recognise the file system on your tape or camera setting .

Could you somehow try: set the cam to record in DV only. Record a minute of footage on a new tape. Put the cam in play mode, switch off, then connect to you firewire port. Switch on and see if your capture program works.

You can always connect the cam to another computer's firewire conection and see if the other computer can capture on that.
You can always connect another DV cam to your firewire port, and see if you can capture from that other cam.

Stick to only DV for now, and find the bit that is upsetting you. You need to establish that both the cam is functioning properly in DV mode and that your firewire port is working.

Are you near or part of a video club, with people with editing computers to ask? Or a shop with a computer, who can test the firewire connector on your cam?
Roy

Post by Roy »

Hi again Dorothy. I have just bought an HD camcorder, and I notice in the manual under troubleshooting, it tells you what to do if the PC doesn't reconise the camera.
Yours might do the same. Be lucky. Roy
Dorothy

Post by Dorothy »

I have been so encouraged by so many of you giving help and advice - thank you to everyone who replied offering technical support and sympathy. I've tried most of the suggestions but so far my camera and pc are still unable to communicate. I spoke to a member of my club who has an almost identical camera and is on XP; he tells me that his camera worked perfectly with the pc at the first attempt.

I have now tried connecting one or two other USB devices and have received the same error message - so I think the problem lies deep inside the pc - so I will take it to my local computer 'shop' where they will hopefully tweak its innards so that I can continue. So I'll be offline for a while.

Once again,many thanks to you all

Dorothy