HD/SD integration

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Richard Gabb

HD/SD integration

Post by Richard Gabb »

A very basic question! Can I import both Standard Def and High Def clips to the same time line using Premier Pro CS3 or do I have to export my HD footage in SD to make it compatible with existing SD footage :(
Ricardo G
billyfromConsett

Post by billyfromConsett »

I would guess that into a premiere project, you can import assets (maybe sd and hd clips) in various forms.
The problem might be that the dimensions of the movie files will be different though. SD is 720 x 576, whilst hd might be 1920 x 1080 pixels. Can you put these into the same timeline? Have you tried? You can certainly put different sized stills into a timeline, and it seems premiere resizes them to its output frame.

I'm about to buy CS4 Premiere Production Suite, so I may come to test its willingness to accept different kinds of movie files into the same project. I'll ask a friend who has CS2 and a HD cam, and try to come back.
The one constant when you export from a project is that the movie will be fitting to its chosen export format.
Michael Slowe

HD/SD Integration

Post by Michael Slowe »

Yes, I'm sure you can have them on the same timeline but if you have a SD timeline any HD clip you want to lay will have to be conformed by the software. I don't know if this is possible the other way around though. With my system (Media 100) I get told this when I drag the clip to the timeline and I have to choose what codec I require. As I'm in full uncompressed 1080 X 1920 HD the conforming process is lengthy, five times the run time of the media. I have read that Final Cut's process is not dissimilar.
billyfromConsett

From my friend Jim:
Yep. It looks as though it is possible. See the attached .mpg. It's a 10sec clip, the first 5secs is HD (.mpeg), the second 5secs SD (.avi). I did it in 6.5 and it took 4mins to render the whole 10secs!!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UWVW2vAABFE
Richard Gabb

Post by Richard Gabb »

Thanks very much Billy and Michael. It looks encouraging and my best bet is to do what you have done and run a short trial. For interest I make bird-watching holiday DVD's from trips around the world. The first I made years ago was on The Gambia in SD using a Canon XM2. Now I have supplementary HD footage from a Sony V1 I want to re-do it. Hopefully my filming and editing skills have improved a bit over the years!!
Ricardo G
billyfromConsett

You've got a Sony. What do you think of the HRV-Z5? It's on my smallish target list for a next cam.
Chrisbitz

Post by Chrisbitz »

it is possible, however, in an SD timeline, the HD clips will need to be scaled down, (using the motion settings) as you'll be looking at a window in the middle of the clip, and in an HD timeline, the SD clips will be small, and will need to be scaled up to fit.
I like to make films, this is- my Youtube account. What's yours?

"all of the above is nothing more than nonsensical ramblings, and definately should NOT be misconstrued as anyone's official policy"
chrisk

Post by chrisk »

Rather than use the motion settings, the check box 'Default to frame size' (in Prem Pro 2 preferences- general) can be ticked and then SD clips will be automatically scaled in an HD timeline and vice versa in an SD timeline.

If this box is not set then individual clips can be scaled by right clicking on the clip in the timeline and selecting 'Scale to frame size' for that particular clip.

Chris
Richard Gabb

Post by Richard Gabb »

Billy, Just key in DvUser on Google and you will get a comprehensive and pretty unbiased review of the Z5 from someone I respect. I don't think you will go far wrong with it.
I also use a Schneider (Century) 1.6X teleconverter if you want more grabbing power. It doesn't degrade the image one bit but will lighten your pocket and put a strain on your shoulder if you also use a decent tripod and head.

Richard
Ricardo G
billyfromConsett

Thanks for your post Richard.
I've checked out DVUser and can see an intro for the Z5 and FX1000. Is that the review you meant? Can't see anything on their forum (which looks interesting, and has a HDV camcorder section)

I use a wide angle lense on my VX2100 by default, but as the 16:9 cams are wider-screen by shape, and also the Sony's have lenses that go quite wide, maybe I won't need such a lense again.

My tripod is a Libec 950. That should be ok enough.