I'm looking for a certain plugin for iMovie4

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Kurt

I'm looking for a certain plugin for iMovie4

Post by Kurt »

Hi,

I've been looking for an effects plugin for iMovie4, but not even the Apple site forum experts can help.

I want a plugin that will simulate the cross-hairs of a rifle's telescopic sight. Got plenty of overlays, exxes, squares, boxes, etc, but I can't think of a way to create a cross-hair overlay using these.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to look, please?

Thanks,

Kurt.
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

How about creating such a sight in a photo editing package, either with an alpha channel (if your editor accepts alpha channels), or against a chroma background that can be keyed out in the editor. With a 2d editor effect also applied to the clip, you'll be able to resize and move the cross-hairs wherever you want.

Just a thought...
Kurt

Post by Kurt »

Mike Shaw wrote:How about creating such a sight in a photo editing package, either with an alpha channel (if your editor accepts alpha channels), or against a chroma background that can be keyed out in the editor. With a 2d editor effect also applied to the clip, you'll be able to resize and move the cross-hairs wherever you want.

Just a thought...
I have Photoshop, and I've heard the term "alpha channel" but will have to study up on the Help file to learn about how to use and export it. Might work.

Using chromakey sounds easier. Never thought of that. :oops: Thanks, Mike.

Cheers,
Kurt
chrisk

Crosshairs

Post by chrisk »

Hi Kurt,

I don't know iMovie but I guess it has a built in titler. In Premiere I use the titler for this sort of application. The geometric features, straight lines, circles etc of any size and colour can be used to build up the crosshairs and positioned as required. The background is automatically transparent.

Chris
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

Create the cross-hair in he titler! Of course - an even easier way to do it.

Why didn't I think of that ... :oops:
Kurt

Re: Crosshairs

Post by Kurt »

chrisk wrote:Hi Kurt,

I don't know iMovie but I guess it has a built in titler. In Premiere I use the titler for this sort of application. The geometric features, straight lines, circles etc of any size and colour can be used to build up the crosshairs and positioned as required. The background is automatically transparent.

Chris
Another good idea I didn't think of!! Thanks, Chris. I'll try that too, and see which looks best.

Cheers,
Kurt
stingman

Post by stingman »

I do all my animation like this in my editing Programme (Permiere Pro 1.5). It takes me a long time to do anything in new programmes.
If you save it as a title, and then do another `save as`, you could put it in a seperate folder of `Goodies`to use in other films.

Be good....

Stingman
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
Kurt

Post by Kurt »

stingman wrote:I do all my animation like this in my editing Programme (Permiere Pro 1.5). It takes me a long time to do anything in new programmes.
If you save it as a title, and then do another `save as`, you could put it in a seperate folder of `Goodies`to use in other films.

Be good....

Stingman
Thanks, Stingman. If I had a bigger computer than my humble eMac, (and a bigger wallet), I'd get Premier and solve a lot of problems.

:)