buying projector

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Souterman

buying projector

Post by Souterman »

Hi
I'm a member of a club that is looking to buy a projector. Heres the catch the top line is £500. So I am looking for some advice on this matter. Please don't tell them to buy a deared model cos it just wont happen. Its for when speakers come and give talks so that they can attach their equipment and tell their storys. F
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Hi Frank,

Border people don't have to live up to the "mean Scot" image!

But your club is not alone in wanting a decent projector at a relatively modest price. I am sure a lot of readers will be interested in the replies you get here.

The cheapest sources are all likely to be internet ones ... I bought my own equipment that way.

I notice that www.pixmania.co.uk have the InFocus X8 Video Projector at £472 before VAT (£554.29 inc. VAT) It is HD ready, has a good light output and decent contrast ratio. I personally like this brand because it is designed for showing movies not computer spreadsheets. In other words the quality of image is more like being in a good cinema than in an office meeting room.

It makes sense to consider something which can have a go at HD.

Most modern projectors for cinema use are designed for 16x9 but all can show 4x3.

Remember that few video projectors have any sound facility - some have a low-level monitor - so you will usually have to provide a sound amplifier and loudspeakers.

Have fun.

Dave
FILM THURSO

Post by FILM THURSO »

Film Thurso's venue projector cost £695 and does a lovely 12 by 30 ft cinemascope picture. It's now about 2 and a half years old and the same spec can be got for the £500 margine. You'll have no trouble finding a projector to suite your club needs. Our machine is a DLP system HD ready and 16:9 switchable with zoom lens. Quite a nice little toy which as a Scottish group, we didn't mind paying for. In fact when we like what we see, we are very happy to reach deeper to pay a little bit more.
We don't all have "Aberdeen" pockets in Scotland! :D
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Fair enough. I apologise for the mean Scots joke.

Dave
FILM THURSO

Post by FILM THURSO »

Don't apologise Dave. I've just insulted Aberdeen folk! :D
Souterman

projecter

Post by Souterman »

Hi Folks
Thanks for the quick replies its nice to get a few leads on different makes of projectors. But remember the price thats the crucial bit. Amazon has what looks like a reasonable one Optoma HD700X - DLP High Definition Home Cinema Projector - With HDMI does anyone have any thoughts on this one. F
Roy

as posted

Post by Roy »

Try Ebay I bid for and won a 3M projector for £400. Have got it mounted on the ceiling and can't fault it. It was brand new by the way. It has a loud volume speaker but I prefer connecting it up to an external amp which I got from Ebay Brandnew for £10. I have that connected up to a pair of Elmo film projector speakers which I have had since the days of Super 8 Film. Roy :lol:
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Good advice, Roy.

Just a word of warning ... look for eBay projectors which are new rather than used. I don't know if they fall off the back of lorries or are just imported by bright people who can afford to undercut the shops. I've had some good eBay deals too.

Projectors are known as "beamers" in much of Europe so you may see them listed as that.

The risk with a used machine is (a) general damage and (b) lamp life. The lamps for most video projectors can be very expensive indeed: £150 upwards is quite normal. If you buy a used projector whose lamp needs replacing soon it will not be much of a bargain.

Dave
Roy

As Posted

Post by Roy »

Sound advice from Dave. I would add that I wouldn't buy anything that is not offered in the UK. If things go wrong you would have to wait for replacement transport time. Do not buy cheap Far East projectors offering very cheap lamp replacements, some of them come with a spare lamp and these are boxed as new. Most of these, according to my sources, arrive damaged. Ebay is flooded with these offers, usually not by auction, but on a Buy Now basis. It is important to follow the instructions carefully, especially the switching off routine, as this can shorten lamplife if switched off incorrectly. I forgot to mention, I also got from Ebay a 6ft motorised screen for £40 and am higghly delighjted with it. So Shop around as there are bargains to be had. If you are tempted to go secondhand, contact the seller for details of LampLife left etc. Remember even if the machine tells to a long lamplife is left, if the previous owner has not followed the switch off routine, the lamplife left could be a lot less. Best of luck with your search. Roy
billyfromConsett

Post by billyfromConsett »

FT- can you name the £500 HD ready projector that can do 12 by 30 feet? I imagine you'd need a few thousand lumens to brighten that size screen.

Reviews here
http://www.projectorreviews.com/

Choosing guide here
http://www.projectorpoint.co.uk/home-ci ... ectors.htm

The Infocus X9 looks decent and the Optima HD700x seems very popular, just a little dim, brightness wise.
Roy

As Posted

Post by Roy »

Hi Souterman Check this out
http://www.goprojectors.co.uk/ProductDe ... =TechSpecs This is new price with good specs. Look for it on Ebay for big reductions.
Souterman

projector

Post by Souterman »

Hi Folks
Thanks to all that replied the deed has been done and the Infocus x9 has been ordered. So will await delivery and see what its like. Just a wee bit excited about the whole affair thanks again. F
billyfromConsett

I really hope it does just what you want. I think it will.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

When a new projector arrives ...

After all the unpacking, plugging together etc ... try it.

It will almost always work and you may be delighted with the image. But most projectors are not setup perfectly "out of the box".

Check the manual for notes on how to make adjustments and invest in a test disc like "Avia Guide to Home Theater".

The DVD output is, in effect, the same as that which used to be generated by very expensive signal generators, so it is very precise. The DVD has detailed instructions on how to use its vast range of test patterns to set up your system perfectly. The instructions are of the American "chummy" variety but nonetheless comprehensive. The disc also covers setting up your surround sound system too.

It costs 37 dollars 38cents at amazon.com ... amazon.co.uk do not list it. Think of it as a sophisticated electronic tool and the cost seems fair.

Dave
billyfromConsett

Dave - do you know of any device (probably a DVD or blu-ray player/recorder) that has a component or HDMI input as well as either of those as an output?