Zoom Recorders

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Stephen

Zoom Recorders

Post by Stephen »

Greetings...

any of you peeps here had experience of the ZOOM digital recorders?.... especially the H4

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h4/

I'm using a minidisc setup at the present (they are so cheap now on ebay!) with good results but only in mono... I seem to be doing more and more live band stuff these days... stereo and the 4 track mixing seem attractive tricks on the H4...

The minidisc setup is a bit fiddly to get the final recording to the PC (but as I am a very lazy person I'm trying to find if that can be improved!) and is it really worth shelling out 200 of your english pounds for the H4?...

one of the minidisc players is playing up so just thinking ahead as they are a fairly mechanically complex piece ...
Stephen

Film making is not a matter of Life and Death
It's much more important than that.
Graeme Webb

Post by Graeme Webb »

Hi Stephen,

I had a demo of one of these a while back when I was looking to buy a seperate audio solution. My main concern was that I thought the buttons and menu were a bit small, Which meant I had to wear my reading glasses (which I don't need when I'm filming) and I felt it over complicated for use in the field when I would probably have a lot of other things to think about.
That being said the audio tests that I heard were fine although the audio test was just 2 people talking to each other with the mic in the middle.
I thought it would be a great portable solution for recording ambient sound effects though, and may well consider it for that purpose in the future. I plumped for a Tascam HD-P2 big buttons (no reading glasses) very easy to use with a fool proof recording system not as portable but suits our way of working. I can place mics more effectively or use a boundary mike etc.

http://secure1.securesite.co.uk/soun973 ... /hdp2.html

I would try to get a demo of one of these prior to buying it as my other forays into buying audio equipment without a decent demonstration have ended in disapointment.

Have you seen this forum ?

http://www.amazon.com/H2-Handy-Stereo-F ... B000VBH2IG
Graeme
ned c

Post by ned c »

I have and use an H2 with good results for voice recording. I record .wav to a 4 gb card and have no problem transfering to an audio editing program. I have used for both narration recording and in the field. There are reports with tests on both the H2 and H4 in back issue of the AMPs newsletter. I am presently away from home but will send to you when I get back.

ned c
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Great stuff ........ Now I know why I keep coming backl here !!!

thanks for the info .......

Great links Graeme...

Look forward to the reports Ned!
Stephen

Film making is not a matter of Life and Death
It's much more important than that.
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

I too use the Samson H2 recorder. It has quite amazingly good audio recording capabilities for the price (about £140) but doesn't hold accurate sync with my camcorders - unlike my Minidisc.