Panasonic HVX200

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Indigo

Panasonic HVX200

Post by Indigo »

Is anyone using one of these camcorders?

If so what do you think?
Cheers

Indy....
Indigo

hmmmm.....

Post by Indigo »

I'll take that as a 'No' then!

Indy.....
ned c

Post by ned c »

The only person I know who uses a Panasonic HVX 200 is Bob Forward and you can access his website and connect with him. His website is www.detonationfilms.com

I am certainly sitting on my hands as far as recording to cards is concerned until the problems of the recording time, storing. work flow and archiving have been sorted out. For a documentary maker the limited storage time and the need to transfer to a storage device (lap top; whatever) from the cards or use an external hard drive adds a layer of inconvenience. A miniDV tape store 13GB of HDV, costs about $6 and is both record and archive. We have a way to go yet, I can certainly see the advantages of tapeless systems and will doubtless end up there but will wait a while,

ned c

ned c
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

I was very sceptical about memory-sticks for holding data when they first arrived but now find myself using them a lot in general computing work. For that reason I am holding fire in judging solid-state memory systems for camcorders.

On the plus side is reduced size / weight / complexity which may be exactly what is needed for certain shoots such as action sports.

On the negative side are the points Ned made and that - dammit - small lightweight camcorders are NOT what those of us interested in making movies need.

The more weight, the more mass and thus the steadier the camera tends to be. (Many so-called stabliser systems do little more than add mass to a camera.)

The larger the camera the more likely it is to have easily accessed controls for key functions rather than pootling through on-screen menus. (Of course I speak as one with large hands and clumsy fingers!)

Dave
stingman

Post by stingman »

The problem with memory sticks is the compression used (I think!) To show on a big screen, you need the max quality that you can get. That means to record via MiniDV or as an AV file on a memory stick. That`s one reason that I don`t like video cameras with Harddrives, the compression.

Be good all.....

Stingman
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Good point, Ian.

Of course most of the systems we use have some form of compression on them but the critical question is what shows up on the screen.

Dave
ned c

Post by ned c »

Sony have now removed the tape drives from their new generation of small professional cameras and this has made room for a larger imaging block. They now have 3 x 1/2 inch imagers which deliver some very real advantages.

The compression used is a variant of MPEG (MPEG2 or AVCHD) at various bit rates so the quality is going to be the same or better than that as that recorded to tape by the HDV system.

ned c
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Hmmmmm.. some interesting points raised here..... The Joe public "Point and Shoot" camera with ease of solid state recording media is something that we need to keep a close eye on...!!

the quality will most definately surpass DV tape soon.... Aunty beeb will be tapeless by 2012 we must expect our hobby to go the same way ....*without compromising quality*

same thing happened with digital SLR cameras.... when the bigger CCD's and more powerful on camera processors came on the market, 35mm film slowly died...... quality now...... outstanding...

so...... anyone want to recommend me a video camera available now thats up to our standard for less than 2500 of our english pounds?

just a thought
Stephen

Film making is not a matter of Life and Death
It's much more important than that.
ned c

Post by ned c »

The most interesting SDHC/AVCHD camera at the moment is the Panasonic AG-HSC1U, with 3 x 1/4 inch imagers and a 12 x optical Leica designed lens. 3 inch LCD, no viewfinder! Comes with a 40 GB HDD as well for storing/archiving. The price is US$ 1700 (about GBP 900 at the moment). This is the NTSC version. It records AVCHD at 17 mpbs which is a decent if not ideal bit rate. It is very small!

ned c
daveswan

Post by daveswan »

FWIW I have an HVX, and very nice it is too!
My main gripes are that the DVCPro HD codec is "only" 1440 x 1080, and that it doesn't do 24p. Oh, and P2 cards run the thick end of £600 for 16 gig, and over £1100 for 32 gig, and that a 16 gig card only hold 17 min 1080p footage.
Dave
billyfromConsett

Post by billyfromConsett »

Stephen wrote:...... anyone want to recommend me a video camera available now thats up to our standard for less than 2500 of our english pounds?
I have been giving this subject some thinking. Now my old XM-1 is being posted tomorrow, and I have the deposit for a camera upgrade...
I have been drawn to two cams:

1) Sony HDR-FX1 - great viewfinder - 1080i spec -known for its great images
2) Canon XH-A1 - 20x zoom, fine in low-light optics, XLR inputs.

Looks like the Canon will get my name on it, if I can find a few more things to liberate their value. :roll:
ned c

Post by ned c »

Hi Billy, I have an XH A1 and an excellent camera it is. However, it is "old" technology, in the world of video that's measured almost in months. The move is to CMOS chips and some form of solid state recording so I would suggest caution unless the XH A1 is on offer at an irresistable price. Have a look at the new range of Panasonic AVCHD cameras in their Professional range, AVCDHcam they call them I believe and there are a couple of models at reasoable prices. I feel this is a difficult time for camera decisions, just my two penn'orth.

ned c
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Hi peeps...

Stuck more or less on the same choice here Billy .. but as Ned says I too feel that the XH A1, although a cracking piece of kit, is a little long in the tooth...... (technology wise) !

looks as though the same path will be taken as I did with the Digital still camera....wait for an 'affordable' (read less than 3500 of your engleesh pounds) HD video camera with interchangeable lenses.... now that would be nice !!!!

Hey Billy ..you did well with your XM1 !!!!
Stephen

billyfromConsett

Post by billyfromConsett »

ned c wrote:Hi Billy, I have an XH A1 and an excellent camera it is. However, it is "old" technology, in the world of video that's measured almost in months.

I feel this is a difficult time for camera decisions, just my two penn'orth.ned c
Hi Ned
I saw your post last night whilst I was on a nightshift. When I looked at your penny's worth, I immediately thought that I might have overlooked this new memory stick recording media stuff. I had a copy of a just recent-obsolete magazine which reviewed a bunch of HDV camcorders, and which also put the XH-A1 on top of the pile, calling it a well balanced piece of good professional kit, with loads of inputs, that simply oozes quality.
But what if it goes out of production in the next 6 months? Will it, like my old XM-1, still cut it with most of the other cameras around? I think it will still do a job, just not with mega-fast downloading into computers, while I wait for real-time downloading.
I'm tempted to wait and see how the new market continues to change, but just as with doing that with holding back on computer parts, when do I actually make a move, cos there are always new technologies under development?
Over here, we can get an XH-A1 for about £2200 ($3820 ish) and it looks optically and ergonomically so good. Have you used yours in loads of different light conditions? And how do you rate it? Do you make use of those custom buttons that you pre-set for various lighting conditions? It sounds so good to have clever features like that.
The other complication that is telling me just to act now, and get my mits on that gorgeous Canon, is the fact that due to me being almost as poor as church mouse that has only one piece of cheese, I will need to continue using Premiere 6.5, editing in SD - a very much tape based editor.
The thing is though, is that I will now look further into this new technology for the moment. Do you know a cheapish Windows editing app for the Panasonic AVCHD cam?

And Stephen, the guy who bought the XM-1, posted me an example of his recent work with an XM-1 http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WdCxww-R704
I told him my camera wasn't used to that sort of thing...
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Ooooeeerrrr....its liable to get a tad wet!..... I got mine wet even though it was on the beach!!!!

these model canons are pretty robust cameras ... My xm2 has done a great job in various locations but I leave it at home when I bolt the MV750i onto the motocickle for a spot of lane scratching...... Smokin...
Stephen