Panasonic HVX200

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
ned c

Post by ned c »

Hi Billy, I used the XH A1 for the Uganda shoot where we were far from any sort of technical support in high humidity, dusty roads and had no problems. So far I have shot 67 rolls of miniDV tape recording HDV on most of them. I did have one shoot where we shot 10 tapes in SD.

The great strength of the XH A1 in my opinion is the lens and the signal processing which are truly outstanding. Yes, I have used the presets to set the camera up for different "looks". Its low light performance is good and the gain is effective and controllable. The manual controls are good and easy to use.

Negatives. By hand held camera standards it is heavy and not the sort of camera that lends itself to casual use. The flip out screen is small and difficult to see in day light and my experience with a "slip" on hood not satisfactory. It was difficult to quickly line up accurately.

Regarding editing there are "low cost" (here that's about USD120) programs by Sony, Corel and Pinnacle that will edit HDV and AVCHD even mixed on the timeline with SD. I use a Mac and iMovie will edit HDV, don't know about AVCHD. I have FC Express which offers the same mixed CoDec ability as above. (I also have FCP 5HD which does not).

Bear in mind that the computer needs for editing HDV/AVCHD are pretty demanding and fast processors and lots of RAM are necessary to get the best results.

The XH A1 is a gorgeous camera and I love using it but the writing is on the wall for tape based cameras. Have you looked at the Canon HV20/30? It doesn't look as sexy as the XH A1 but it is a very capable camera, we use one as a back up and it intercuts seamlessly with stuff shot on its big brother.

Let us know how you get on.

ned c
daveswan

Post by daveswan »

I wonder, if people aren't needing a camera urgently, whether it might not be worth waiting to see what Red bring out with the Scarlet re-design?
It looks as though the price could be in the £2000-£2500 bracket once it gets over here, and can record to CF cards.
I would have suggested looking at the Panny HPX 170 (I think I've got that right) but P2 cards, though brilliant, are a tad expensive.
Cheers,
Dave
ned c

Post by ned c »

Hi Dave, given the demands of editing the Red output have you heard anything about the recording CoDec of the Scarlet and the editing protocols?

How are you archiving your material as you use P2 cards? This seems to me to be the sticking point with the card recording systems. I archive a lot of material and store it on tape, full size DV cassetes for most material.

Thanks

ned c
daveswan

Post by daveswan »

The editing of .r3d is pretty steep, I expect to have to get a new comp. I think Quad core is going to be minimum with as many gigs of RAM as you can afford. At the moment I have an eSATA case plugged into my laptop with removable hard drives. But yes, archiving without tapes is something that's giving me pause too. Have you checked out the Scarlet user forums?
Dave
billyfromConsett

Post by billyfromConsett »

I waited, and had another think about what I'm going to do in terms of a next camera investment which will give me true 16:9 - curious to check into maybe a solid state tapeless option.

The cams which had been given serious consideration are:
Sony FX1 - but quite old, no XLR and front-end heavy.
Canon XH-A1 - great optics, but smallish sidescreen.

But now I learn that Sony are about to launch the HDR-FX1000 and HVR-Z5. These two seem to have such a leap in progress that it's a case of waiting for those two to come to market and at what price? So now

I've more time to collect pound notes for the next one...
ned c

Post by ned c »

Hi Billy, just back from the DV show in LA where the hit of the show was the Panasonic AG-HMC150 (151 for PAL I believe). this records AVCHD to SDHC cards, 16 GB holds about 4 hours. This tapeless system needs some new thinking for us oldies (me not you). It is a file based system and the files can be transferred directly into the editing system, no digitising, no mechanicals. This is provided your NLE handles AVCHD and a number do now; including the lower cost systems. Just plug the card into a USB adaptor, plug into a USB2 port and drag the files into the computer.

This camera records at 21 mbps which is close to the top rate possible, the claim was made that at 9 mbps the picture quality is equal to that of HDV. The camera is priced at $3995 here but no doubt given a few months the street price will come down.

I bought a 16 GB card for $80 and tested the camera and got clips for an edit test on Final Cut Express 4.

Archiving is a question usually raised but that question raised three more questions, why are you archiving, how long do you hope to keep the archive, how long can you actually replay the archive contents without re-recording to a current technology?
(what to do with those old U-Matic monsters!).

Solid state is the future, there are a number of issues to be resolved but the absence of moving parts is a great boon, no more decks to buy/borrow/rent. Our work flow ends with DVD these days and they will eventually be replaced by some solid state medium.

You can read all about the camera at the Panasonic Broadcast website and download the manual.

Read the AMPS newsletter for more.

ned c
billyfromConsett

Thanks I'll check it out Ned.
daveswan

Post by daveswan »

On the 13th, Red are going to post the new specs for the Scarlet camera, I think this cam will be worth waiting for, if you can wait, and if you can justify the likely price, given the free-falling pound and the dire economic outlook :(
I think consolidating your footage onto removable disks will be the best archiving option for the near term (2-5 yr), beyond that is anyone guess.
Dave
billyfromConsett

I've had a look at some of the websites that talk about solid state video recording, and I wonder if this is really a good option for me.
I record footage and turn it into movies for the amateur competitions. The IAC couldn't cope if I sent Biaff a media card with a film on it. All along from judging to showing, it is a no-goer in our entire club circuit, and probably will be for years.

I also record a few things like weddings and school nativities, and for the money I charge, three-chip prosumer kit is more than adequate (barring the 16:9 option).
The longer recording time these solid state cams have would give would save me looking at the tape time left counter mind.
Looking at the higher possible data-rates these solid state cams can capture at is way way beyond what the aunt nellys of this world will be too bothered about. The picture standard with HDV seems brilliant, though I understand AVCHD uses a better codec for another rise in image quality.
I know HDV is not a true broadcast standard, but that's not what my target client is ever going to be.

I had a brief glimpse of the red camera, and I'm sorry but I couldn't find anything to attract me to it in the least. It has a fixed length lens and apparently there is only one editing app that can use it. Maybe I looked at the wrong site, so if anyone can give me the real deal points that a hobbist like me would work a heap of extra 12 hour shifts to get the funds to buy one of these then I'll listen.

The XH-A1 is maybe a few years old, but it looks very good to my eyes. And compared to that cracker of a cam, the Sony HDR-FX1000 or Z5 look as good as I would ever want.
ned c

Post by ned c »

Hi Billy, in use the solid state recording medium is only used in the camera, it is not intended as a distribution medium. You download the files into your NLE and then wipe the card for further use in the camera. Do your edit in the normal way and then create the DVDs using your regular DVD creation software. Your entries into BIAFF and copies for the bride will be on DVDs. My view is that this is the future, I am sure that miniDV tape will be around for a few more years but I have a box full of 30 minute VHS tapes I can't even give away!

Having said all that the XH-A1 is a great camera and I have been delighted with mine, my plan is to keep it for another year whilst the dust settles in the solid media world and then trade it in for a solid state camera with a good history.

ned c
daveswan

Post by daveswan »

The red One is a pro digital cinema camera using interchangable, mostly PL mount cine lenses. Body only is $17500, and you know what's hapening to the exchange rate :( it's totaly out of our league.
Scarlet should be another matter entierly, but isn't available yet. Editing could be a problem, but as they're hoping to reach a larger market, I hope they'll sort that out.
Oh, one other thing, the better the cam, the better the tripod you'll need, I'm looking at Sachtler, at £1800, will have tot be on the never-never, not sure I want to go down that route with the economy as it is :(
Dave
ned c

Post by ned c »

http://www.dvuser.co.uk/content.php?CID=150

This is a review of a Libec tripod that I use, reasonable price, works satisfactorily. Not a Sachtler or Vinten but good value.

ned c
daveswan

Post by daveswan »

Cheers, Ned.
I had a look at the artical, the chap seems quite impressed. I had written off Libec after reading a thread over at scarletuser where a number of posters slatet off Libec.
Still fancy Sachtler though even if only at the "yah boo my tripod's better than your tripod" playground level :lol:
Dave
stingman

Post by stingman »

I like and love the Sony FX1. I received my copy of DV User and it has a good article on HD, and a good camera they recommend for the money is the Canon HF11 or the Panasonic SD100. They only downfall is that to Manual focus is a bind, but they have cracking Images and are only about £699! They use SD cards and are HD at a very impressive 24MPS!

Check them out...

Be good.........

Stingman
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
billyfromConsett

So you film with a FX1 Stingman? Any films anywhere for us to see how you manage with such a beast?

The FX1000 or Z5 is on my shopping list. Just need to get wor lass to get a bit of overtime in....