frazzled firewire connection

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
flora

Post by flora »

I have 2 computers & 2 camcorders (sony digital8 & panasonic mini dv)

both worked fine capturing to pinnacle 9.5 & 10.
last week I tried both cameras in both computers & neither computer recognised either of them, the only thing that was done to my computer was a new 'C' drive was installed .
took both camers to video club, neither worked there.
clubs mini dv camera tested ok also a members digital8 ok.
brought clubs camera home tried on both computers ok, tried next day wouldn't work on either computer.
took club's camera back to club it didn't work.
have tried about 8 different firewire cables, with same results.

so conclusions we (video club & myself) have arrived at is that there is something on one of my computers which has affected all 3 cameras, repair bill estimated £100 - £150 per camera.

I think computers are going to have to go to computer shop to see if they can find out what the problem is, the problem then is when I get another camera dare I connect to computer!!

has anyone come across this problem before?

help
stingman

Post by stingman »

If you need a new firewire board for your computer then I think that they cost about £20.

Be good...

Stingman
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
flora

frazzled

Post by flora »

it's not the firewire boards, think there's a fault somewhere on 1 of my computers
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

It sounds as though the computer whose disc was changed is causing a problem. It is unlikely that it has caused physical damage to the camera hardware - that can happen but it is more likely to have upset the software in the camcorder.

1) Try resetting the software in all the cameras.
If this works you can breathe again.

There are ways to reset most camcorders to "factory default" state. The procedure varies. For many Sony camcorders: Turn your camera off. Unplug the A/C adapter and remove the battery. Turn the power switch ON or hold down the power button for 15 seconds. Move the power switch OFF, or release the power button. Put the battery back in the camera. Turn the camera on.
For other manufacturers, check the users’ manual or visit the support portion of its Web site on how to do it.

2) If that works and the camcorders work ... try linking to the club's computer ... as this seems to be OK.

Do a thorough check ... re-boot the computer and the camera at least twice. Each time make sure the camera-computer link works. It takes a few minutes but is worth it.

3) If that is OK ... try one of the camcorders linking to one of your computers - the one which has NOT had its C drive changed. Again re-boot the computer and camera a couple of times, checking the links between them each time.

4) If all is well then try linking it to your other computer. If that crashes the camcorder then you know for sure where the problem lies ... and you need to see a computer technician.

Good luck and tell us what happens.

Dave
Chrisbitz

Post by Chrisbitz »

Yep, I've heard of this a couple of times before.

Where the firewire connector goes onto the Motherboard, if you reverse it, (plug it on the wrong way round) then it will blow the FW port on any Camcorder. Bad news, I'm afraid.

To fix it, just reverse the plug for the FW port where it connects to the Motherboard.

It seems quite plausible that when fitting the HDD, the FW connector was knocked off, and someone plugged in back in, back to front....
I like to make films, this is- my Youtube account. What's yours?

"all of the above is nothing more than nonsensical ramblings, and definately should NOT be misconstrued as anyone's official policy"
flora

Post by flora »

thanks for your reply Dave, have done what you said with my sony camera but don't think it's worked because when a firewire connecter is connected to any camera the computer makes a bing bong sound & a window shows on the screen to say that it's ready to use, this does not happen(tried on blue computer- C drive NOT changed)

don't know how to reset my panasonic nv-gs70 camera, does not show in web site probably because it's 4 years old, it might be an excuse to get a new one, but the camera itself works fine & is an excellent camera, I suppose I could either lash out & get a similar one or just buy the cheapest I can find with dv in & out to capture to computer after I find out which computer has the problem

then I will need another dig8 camera so I can capture any footage I need to computer

I don't think the firewire has been wrongly connected to my silver tower (C drive changed) because 2 cameras were tried after new firewire ports were fitted & they are both still working

unfortunately I can't do much at moment going on holiday on monday for 2 weeks

do you know of any equipment that can be used to capture to computer instead of using camera?

I phoned 3 computer repair places comments were - it could be
1 firewire ports
2 electrical fault
3 firewire drivers
4 motherboard

any other comments would be just great to try & pinpoint the problem
stingman

Post by stingman »

Unless i`m missing something, has this camera worked on another computer. If not then it`s the camera.

If you plug a camera into a firewire port and it`s turned on or the computer is turned on then you can easily fry one or both equipment. It must only be done with both turned off. I`ve plugged mine in while turned on and it`s sparked. I was lucky.

Be good......

Stingman
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
flora

Post by flora »

Hi Ian, thanks for comments, yes both cameras have worked on the clubs computers, I never have camera connected to computer until I am in my editing programme & ready to capture, but it's worth noting

as I said before the club & myself think that one of my 2 computers have damaged the firewire connections on both my cameras & the clubs camera.

it's been suggested that I change the motherboard on the computer I want to use for editing & that should cure the problem, but then of course I have to pluck up courage to connect another camera!!
flora

frazzled reason why

Post by flora »

had both computers checked out
1 was ok
the other apparently was subject to fluctuations in voltage which is why it frazzled 3 camcorders

I could have had motherboard changed at a cost, but am not using it for editing purposes just the net & general bits & pieces

have bought 2 cameras from ebay which work perfectly well on the computer which did not have a voltage problem