Problem with capture

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
billyfromConsett

Post by billyfromConsett »

The problem seems to be an issue of the computer not recognising the firewire port properly.

You could use a free app to capture the footage. There are some free apps available. See here http://forum.doom9.org/archive/index.php/t-31979.html

You can turn off most programs that start when windows boots up - by unticking some of the options via msconfig. (hit start, run, then type msconfig and hit ok. Look at the startup tab on the top right, and untick some of the apps on the list. You can see what's what by looking at their description, or by just googleing the name. Do this with a bit of caution but the worst you can do is command the computer to start up virtually in safe mode).

If you're in windows you can close any app by using control-alt-delete and end processing any of the running apps. Some can't close but I'm sure the web camera spotter will close.

Maybe you could get the cam and the lead checked with another computer, to eliminate those two from the blame.

Good luck.
stingman

Post by stingman »

I had a programme called `EndItAll`. It basicly closed down what wasn`t needed! You booted up then ran the programme. You then were left with a computer that just had the main bits running and not all the silly ones as well. The good thing is that it doesn`t change any settings so when you next boot, all is back to normal just like it hasn`t been used.
My friend had a problem with his firewire. He used to capture and all of a sudden it would drop the connection. May be something checking for an input. Anyway thy can be a pain in the bottom and act weird. My only gripe is the audio bug and the odd reboot. But as long as I save every so often, I don`t worry about it.
It`s a pleasure to help.
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
Thomas Kovacs

Post by Thomas Kovacs »

Thank you all for the effort for trying to help me.
I will try out the EndItAll. I know that the problem is that something usurps the firewire input that stops all other progs to use it BUT which one! Probably EndItAll will sort that out

Thanks again.