Problem with capture

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Thomas Kovacs

Problem with capture

Post by Thomas Kovacs »

Dear All,
I recently tried to capture a video using a Panasonic video camera and Adobe Premier Pro 2.0. The computer (Dell with Windows XP/SP2) recognizes that the camera is attached. However. Pinnacle and PP2 both says that the capture device is off line. I have a web cam attached to the computer. With the web cam the capture process works. Since I need both process is there any opinion out there that would help to fathom out a solution.

Many Thanks
Tom Kovacs
Chrisbitz

Post by Chrisbitz »

could it be that the computer is seeing your webcam as your capture device? Does it make any difference if you actually unplug your webcam before turning on the computer?
I like to make films, this is- my Youtube account. What's yours?

"all of the above is nothing more than nonsensical ramblings, and definately should NOT be misconstrued as anyone's official policy"
Thomas Kovacs

Post by Thomas Kovacs »

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try at next boot up.
Thomas Kovacs

Post by Thomas Kovacs »

Tried to reboot without any luck. The computer seems to see a camera with no pictures in it. It keeps saying : Empty.
I have a scanner also but the capture used to work with the scanner installed.
Chrisbitz

Post by Chrisbitz »

rule out the obvious - unplug any sort of imaging thing from the computer.

reboot.

plug camera in, and turn on - listen for the usual bing bong sound..

It should be a real simple thing - you just have to go back to basics... in my experience it'll be something silly that you'll kick yourself about :-)

Have a look in device manger, and see if there's anything with an error symbol next to it, just in case?

"all of the above is nothing more than nonsensical ramblings, and definately should NOT be misconstrued as anyone's official policy"
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Just to check - and forgive me for asking such a basic thing - how are you connecting to the computer? Firewire or USB?

Editing software usually expects a Firewire connection.

Then have you checked the capture settings ...
Project Menu > Project Settings > Capture > A/V Inputs
I use Premiere Pro 1.5 and depending on the task may be switching from a digital capture to an S-VHS one through this menu.

Oh - and another "gotcha" which has got me on occasion ... when you start a new Premiere project there is usually a list of options in the "Load Presets" panel which appears when you start. They vary according to the capture card you have and so on. If I fail to positively choose the correct option that can cause oddities. I suspect your webcam does not use the same presets as a fully-fledged camcorder ...

Lastly - when the "not found" message appears try switching the camcorder off for a moment, then switching it on again. Sometimes that lets the editing software find it.

Keep fighting ! There is nothing like the fun of digital editing !

Dave
Thomas Kovacs

Post by Thomas Kovacs »

Thanks Dave,
I use fire wire connection. The interesting thing is that I tried both Premier Pro 2.0 and Pinnacle 8.3 to find my video camera. I switched on/off several time and rebooted several times. I also done the same with web cam unplugged. No joy. I did capture with the scanner installed so I don't believe it is the culprit.

Actually the computer recognizes the video camera, after some boink-boink a picture appears in the My Computer screen with a note of Empty besides it. So I take it that the cable is OK. It is the programs that can't see the camera. I also tried to uninstall/reinstall Pinnacle to see if it helped. Also no joy.

At the moment I use a laptop to capture with XP's proprietary capture program and transfer that to the Desk Top. It is a real pain in the proverbial but at least it works. (so far)
ned c

Post by ned c »

I had a Panasonic camera for a time, very good too, and remember that to set up for capture I had to use the remote for activating something (the camera has long been passed on so no longer have the manual) it may be that the problem is at the camera end and check the manual for setting up for capture to the computer. Apologies for being so basic but most of my own problems are basic!!

ned c
stingman

Post by stingman »

The `Empty` bit sounds worrying! It`s almost like it looking at the harddrive on the camera (if it has one, or it`s looking at the SD card, if it has one. Is the camera set to video recorder and not Camera. It doesn`t sound like it`s seeing the firewire. It sound more like USB.

One bug I get is that if i`m captureing and the recorded sound Khz changes then my computer will reboot! Firewire and USB`s are a bit dodge sometimes.
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
Chrisbitz

Post by Chrisbitz »

do you have any video editing hardware installed, like a pinnacle dv500 or Matrox Rt2000, or anythiing like that?

Thomas Kovacs

Post by Thomas Kovacs »

Thank you Stingman and Chrisbitz. You are both very kind to help.
Interestingly I have a JVC Digital Media Camera that has both SD card and a Microdrive. I transfer Pictures and Videos without any problem. When videos are on Microdrive there is no need to capture, just copy *.MOD files to a directory, then rename *.MOD to *mpg and import into any editing software. Absolutely no problem.
It is the Panasonic that is problematic. And yes I have a Pinnacle card which came years ago with Pinnacle 8 and worked very well until now. I have also bought and tested another firewire just to check.
A short while ago I had a problem with Premier Pro 2.0 suddenly not recognizing my DVD writer. After removing practically everything from my desk top and reinstalling PP2 the problem disappeared. It took me three days in time, asking a technician for help that cost me £50. It is not easy to get rid of Roxio from a computer. It leaves hidden traces in the Registry that stops other software to operate correctly.

I now begin to worry!
Chrisbitz

Post by Chrisbitz »

first thing I'd do is remove the pinnacle card and see if that makes any difference. if you have ANY other non-standard peripherals I'd remove them too -

If it used to work, and it doesn't now, then it's something you've added or changed. like I keep saying, back to basics! :-)

billyfromConsett

Post by billyfromConsett »

The video camera must be in play mode. If it has a stills feature make sure that isn't set on the cam's menu.

The adobe or pinnacle software's input setting must be set to the firewire socket you've plugged your camera into.

Make sure it's the firewire and not the USB connection. Sorry if I've just insulted you.

If you've a webcam, I'd turn off any software that uses it and maybe unplug it actually.

Please name the model of the Panasonic cam.

I also hate Dells.
stingman

Post by stingman »

This is why we try to have a seperate `video computer` to capture and edit our stuff. PC`s get so cluttered up with software and things running in the background.
On my seperate editing PC, I have everything turned off. Even the firewall, it`s not connected to the internet. It won`t get a virus as everything that goes on it comes from my other computer that is Firewalled and Virus protected. I know it`s more money, but it is well worth it and you could build one for about 3 to 4 hundred quid.

Be good....
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
Thomas Kovacs

Post by Thomas Kovacs »

Dear billyfromconsett and stingman,

To answer billy first, it is surely firewire, webcam software and camera turned off, Panasonic set to VCR and everything properly checked. There is something like a hidden small program sitting in the background that checks for webcam every few milliseconds and that activity for reasons of bad software design can't be switched off. This happened when I had a problem with Premier Pro 2 not recognizing the DVD burner. I had to remove all traces of Roxio Easy DVD maker (not very easy to clean out the Registry) and remove ALL TRACES of Premier Pro (including Registry) and then reinstall Prem Pro and swear that I will never use a Roxio product on the same computer if I want to use Premier Pro.

The Panasonic camcorder is: NV-DS60B

Stingman is absolutely correct in using a separate computer for video work. I am going to follow his example and buy a MESH Elite Q5 FX with Windows XP/SP2. and two physically separate hard disk. It seems the right computer for the price.

Thank you all for the helpful suggestions. It is nice to know that one is not alone when problem hits.