Ian and YouTube!

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
stingman

Post by stingman »

David is right. A five minute film is really, really big! So I had to find away to compress it. The quality does suffer, but Youtube isn`t about quality, it`s about showing the world what you can do! If people want quality then they can contact the film-maker and request a dvd.

Stingman
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
billyfromConsett

Post by billyfromConsett »

I'm wondering if there is a security app on your rig that is stopping any files leaving your computer.
I haven't uploaded anything to youtube for a while, so I can't without doing an upload, tell you precisely what to do.

But I take it that you have a youtube account and you are logged in whilst trying to upload your file.

It should accept an AVI, Mpeg2, mpeg4, WMP file and maybe others.

Can you try sending it an mpeg2 file, and wait a few hours for youtube to process it? Or try sending a media file via your account from another computer, to eliminate your rig's browser.

I don't know if firefox has its own issues with security or file transfer.
Peter Stedman

Post by Peter Stedman »

SUCCESS. I downloaded the recomended Riva programme ran it and tried uploading a 10 sec. clip that worked so very fast but the sound was missing. I discovered that I could remove this test.

I then set about uploading a full 3 minutes clip and that uploaded in a few minutes. The screen then said 'wait while it processes'. This seemed to take ages and in the end I went to bed and left it. This morning it still said 'wait while it processes' so I switched off my PC, restarted and there it was in all its (fuzzy) glory.

If you are interested try this link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeArMoTSlKI
Thanks to all for your advice. I still don't understand some points but I have finally got there. PHEW.
Pete
billyfromConsett

Not sure what was screwing up your attempts, but hey ho, the job's a goodun.

Here's one of my few attempts at youtube - go on, make my day, rate it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KxAyXDLxHU
Last edited by billyfromConsett on Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Stedman

Post by Peter Stedman »

I have looked and commented on your Youtube link. I really do think it is good. It may all look so simple but we all know that there is more than meets the eye in making it.

I have also posted a reply to your posting on the PA projection thread. Pete
fraught

Post by fraught »

billyfromConsett wrote:Not sure what was screwing up your attempts, but hey ho, the job's a goodun.

Here's one of my few attempts at youtube - go on, make my day, rate it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT892R_fMcY
Thoroughly enjoyed that! Really good! That old lady is scary! LOL...
Roy

As posted

Post by Roy »

I've had a lot of bother with trying to upload to You Tube, as the page expires before the upload is completed so it has been a couple of hours wasted. I now have to wait until I think the
internet is quieter. I now compress my files using main concept
standalone converter to make an Mpeg 1 and use it as if I was making a VCD. I am worried about the quality of the finished article on You Tube. However would you please have a look at the excerpt of a Documentary I have put on You Tube as a test and please tell me if it is watchable, and if not how can I improve it. Click onto
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVoms7_xuSs

Thank you Roy
Peter Stedman

Post by Peter Stedman »

Roy,
I've had a look at your bit in Youtube and like it and have put a comment. The quality looks as good as most others.

What I still don't understand is that, in theory, all you have to do is upload (say) an avi file and the job is done.Youtube compresses it their end. This didn't seem to work for me.

However the advice seem to be that we should compress it ourselves (I have done this) and all will work and it does. Surely this means that Youtube then compresses it again and thus the quality is lowered again.

Can anyone explain this or have I got it all wrong again?
Pete
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Rather than me summarising it here ... take a look at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YouTube

Wikipedia explains the YouTube history and gives a lot of technical detail about how they handle files. It also points out that there was for some time a confusion with utube a site owned by people who make pipes!

Dave
Peter Stedman

Post by Peter Stedman »

Well . . . . I knew all of that of course . . . . :roll: :wink:
billyfromConsett

There's an interesting piece on that wikipedia blog about the new high quality standard. I've re-encoded one of mine to see if it works. If anybody does the same and you see a decent improvement will you say.
billyfromConsett

There is some improvement actually.
Roy

Post by Roy »

[quote="Peter Stedman"]Roy,
I've had a look at your bit in Youtube and like it and have put a comment. The quality looks as good as most others.

Hi Peter. Thank you for putting a comment on You Tube about my video. I looked at your "hole in my Bucket" spoof and enjoyed it, and I must say the quality was better than mine. I don't know the technical reasons for doing things and am not bothered, all I want is to be able to know how to do things. I do know that you have to sacrifice quality for speed.
Roy
Roy

as posted

Post by Roy »

Hi Peter. I have been experimenting with quality controls to upload to You Tube. I think I have found an improvement. Using the decoder I have decoded to Mpeg 2 instead of Mpeg1 and lowered the bitrate rates to make sure the resultant Mpeg file is well under 100 MB. If you log onto
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqvBYuavXAs you can see my video "Living Statues" and at the same time compare it with Street Musicians clip. Click on to more from RoyfromDurham and you play both and compare. Let me know if you see the difference. You might notice in the clip that a dog has been trained to be a living statue. I would be happy for anyone else to make comments. Roy
stingman

Post by stingman »

Heh guys,
How do I delete one of my films from Youtube. The lipsync is out by about 8 seconds!
If I cannot delete it then how can I rectify the problem.

Thanks guys.
Stingman
Ian Gardner
Film Maker