Ian and YouTube!

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
stingman

Ian and YouTube!

Post by stingman »

Dear all,
It may be time to put some of my film onto Youtube. But I have a problem!

As we all know a 5 minute standard film file is quite large in size and too big to upload.

Can someone give me advice on what and how to convert this to a convienient size for Youtube?

What reselution as well.

Thanks

Ian
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
billyfromConsett

Post by billyfromConsett »

bunny

Post by bunny »

I have several films on you tube and use the Riva FLV encoder which is free with good results.

http://rivavx.de/index.php?encoder&L=3

Hope that helps

Keith
Growing old is inevitable growing up is optional
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

You can also download the free Windows Media Encoder and this will let you compress your film as much or as little as you like. The trouble is (I find) that YouTube recompresses whatever you send them, reducing the quality still further.

tom.
stingman

Post by stingman »

Thank you guys for your help. I`ll look into it and let you all know how I get on. My workmate uploads stuff, but his is from a Cameraphone, so the quality and filesize is already crap!
One thing I noticed on his is that he is into Starwars and has fights with his mate useing those Lightsabras. Because of the low reselution, and may be framerate, the blur of the Lightsabra when he moves it is really good. If I wanted to do it properly with my video camera and with Premiere. It would proberly take me all day to do what he has done!!!

See You guys and thanks
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
stingman

Post by stingman »

I`ve managed to put 5 of my films on Youtube. At last, I hear you cry! Yes. I`ve gone modern. The films are - Abba, War of the worlds, Amarillo, YMCA and Shapes. If you enter Ian Gardner and change your search to recent, then they should appear up more in there search ending around the 24 hours posted mark (Re todays date.)

I hope you enjoy.

As a subnote:- my USB`s suddenly stoped working on my Video Computer. I thought that my USB harddrive had fried, I tried my other USB devises and they had malfuncioned as well. (good news then, it wasn`t the harddrive!)
If I cannot fix it then it`s a new motherboard etc. Good chance to upgrade.

See yer,
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Regular readers know that one of our correspondents, Fraught", set up a YouTube group for IAC members to post movies. So far not many have chosen to add their work to this.
Pop over to
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OtgoRmXSwE

Why don't more of you put your shorter movies onto this group? It costs nothing and makes them available to the world - albeit in a form only suited to viewing on computer.

Dave
fraught

Post by fraught »

Thanks for mentioning that Dave... i haven't been around much lately, and was wondering if people are using these things?
stingman

Post by stingman »

I don`t use Youtube much. I quickly got dissalutioned with it. I thought that it would be great for people to have a giggle at my work. But mr copyright got his hands on it and one was taken off. Oh, but if I miss an episode of something off of the telly, then I can watch it on youtube!

Be good.

Stingman
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
Peter Stedman

Post by Peter Stedman »

I don’t visit this board very often but did so today to put a posting and I noted some discussion on YouTube. Till yesterday I had never tried putting a video on this so I registered and tried putting on a video of under 4 mins. It’s an AVI file. After many hours of trying and failing I put questions on various boards and received answers but my problem wasn’t solved. It goes without saying that I’m on broadband.

Following advice I changed my browser to Firefox as I was assured this would work. I also made my AVI file just a 10 sec. job. Still no joy. I will prove my ignorance by assuming that YouTube compresses this file itself and that no action from the sender is required. I would mention that I received no error messages. So what the devil am I doing wrong when millions of kids do it millions of times every day.
Pete
billyfromConsett

Post by billyfromConsett »

It could be that your broadband provider is only giving you minutely small upload speeds, so your attempt at uploading an AVI file is not working too well...

You can check your speed both to download and upload with this site http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/

I take it you have also tried the other tips on this forum. I would not send an AVI file to youtube, even though the site will probably recode it anyhow.

My broadband provider lets me download at about 5912kps, but upload at only 335kps (less than 6% of the download speed).

Yours could be worse. Is it?
fraught

Post by fraught »

I tend to only upload WMV files to YouTube... dont get problems very often. Although there is the odd occasion (depends on their site traffic) where it does take an absolute age to upload.
Peter Stedman

Post by Peter Stedman »

Thanks for the tips . . . I will follow up. I'm working away from now till Tuesday but will investigate when I return, Thanks again. Pete
Peter Stedman

Post by Peter Stedman »

Been away for a few days but just had another go at uploading to Youtube. Firstly I checked my upload speed as suggested. I tried a couple of sites for this a few times and it seemed to average around 350kbps. I can see what is meant by knowing about these things.

So using Firefox I tried uploading a file of about 20 seconds. This time I have exported the clip from Premier 6.5 as a Quicktime file instead of avi. I tried the upload and after 25 minutes whilst I could see the upload logo whizzing around, I decided to call it a day.

Are you going to tell me that a 20 sec clips will take longer than 25 minutes to upload???

I understand that Youtube does it own compression so why do folk suggest
"I have several films on you tube and use the Riva FLV encoder which is free with good results."
I don't mind trying this suggestion but can't quite understand why compressing BEFORE uploading for Youtube for them to compress again.

Clearly I have a lot to learn yet, but I say again, kids seem to get their videos on to Youtube with no problems at all.
Further advice and discussion welcomed.
Pete
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Full size AVI files are very, very large. Even 20 seconds of uncompressed 720x576 AVI will be huge.

For simple uploads to YouTube there is a limit of 100Mb or 10 minutes.

They recommend outputting your video from your video editor thus:

Our recommended file format is MPEG4 (Divx, Xvid, or SVQ3 rather than h.264) at 640x480 resolution with MP3 audio (64k mono).

Dave