Editing Rigs

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Stephen

Editing Rigs

Post by Stephen »

The wisdom of the this great list is required

It’s a little while since the last PC was fashioned in the shed ... =8^)

I cannot believe how much they have come on in the last 2 - 3 years…

I mean… what was the matter with good old Town Gas?..... ;-)

Seriously though …… what are the peeps on this forum using as an editing rig and why did they choose that particular setup?....

Just the bare bones system that is … we will come to peripherals no doubt in later threads !!!!

Budget… max £500

Thinking on the lines of

Mobo - GA-73UM-S2H

NVIDIA GeForce 7150 / nForce 630i Chipset
Supports Intel Core 2 multi-core processors with FSB1333
Solid capacitors design in CPU VRM
DDR2 800
Integrated NVIDIA CineFX 3.0 graphics
Graphics with PCI-E x16 interface
Integrated SATA 3Gb/s with RAID function
High speed Gigabit Ethernet and IEEE1394
Quality 106dB SNR ALC889A HD audio
Integrated DVI/ HDMI interface with HDCP

Bang in an Intel Core Duo, 4 Gb DDR2 RAM, 500W PSU and a nice shiny new case !

Only worrying thing is why software houses such as Adobe are writing code that only takes advantage of single core processing?.....

Anybody got kit that does the biz?

Hey … Ian, Dave …
can we have a place were we can upload photos of our editing rigs?
Stephen

Film making is not a matter of Life and Death
It's much more important than that.
stingman

Post by stingman »

Hello Stephen,
It`s good that your thinking of upgradeing your new computer. Will it just be for editing? or will you sneek other things onto it :shock: ! If you put the internet on it, you rendering may be a bit slower.
I don`t like built-in graphics on an editing computer. This really does eat into your computers resourses. Were you going to use the on-board graphics card.... I forget......

Premiere with duel cores? If you were to install Premiere on a Duel core system, would it work? Adobe do excellent forums on there website and there are a few just for Premiere. Take a look......

Maplins do good Motherboard/Processor bundles... Take a look.

Are you going to build it. I`ve seen how you build them :lol: :lol: :lol: !

As for Uploading Pictures. I`m sure Dave will look into it for you! The problem is that This Forum (IAC) is on some computer somewhere that is done as a sort of favour (Please correct me Dave if i`m wrong). The problem with this is Space on this computers server. As they say a picture is a thousand words! So we could have pictures if Willy keeps his excellent ramblings short and to the point :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: (Joke Willy!)
Be good all.............
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
Ray Williamson

Uploading pictures

Post by Ray Williamson »

Easy peasy!
All you have to do is compress your picture in jpg so that it is quick to up/download, upload it to your OWN web space, then link to it by clicking [Img] on the menu above where you write your message.
It takes a bit of planning and time, but if a job is worth doing it is worth doing well.
Ray Williamson, East Sussex.
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

That's no problem Ray.... and as you say it is 'easy peasy'... and no doubt will be done in the short term....

but I was thinking more on the lines of developing the forum as a "picture community / gallery / film archive"

many forums have extensive galleries and do not rely on youtube (there are issues with copyright there... how do we stand here??...)

hey... we are in the moving picture fraternity ... we are film makers !! ... so it would be nice to see a library of members pics / films executed from within the forum ....

you never know ... those that come acroos it may even stray into the IAC website !!!!!
Stephen

billyfromConsett

Re: Uploading pictures

Post by billyfromConsett »

Ray Williamson wrote:All you have to do is compress your picture in jpg so that it is quick to up/download, upload it to your OWN web space, then link to it by clicking [Img] on the menu above where you write your message.
It takes a bit of planning and time, but if a job is worth doing it is worth doing well.
Sorry, but that's hardly doing the job well. Pictures and text on the same screen is more desirable I'd say.

From a practical point, and more exactly concerning video libraries/archives, I doubt the IAC would risk allowing us lot to do things that might not be 100% crystal clear legal. And at this moment, copyright law doesn't seem to be too precise concerning what we put on myspace or youtube. If I post goals from Match of the Day on youtube, and the BBC notice and complain, youtube would remove them and email me. If I do it repeatedly they could suspend my account. That's not exactly legal action, probably because the law isn't written with close regard to this. It still must contraveen some company rights. If anyone can cite a case of a proper law-suit, I'd like to know though.

Youtube being international and the net crossing all borders, it may be difficult to tell what is covered by UK law on sound and pictures online, so it's a grey area.

Webspace is becoming cheaper all the time I would imagine, so a group like us, who make things purely for sharing, well it would seem that the web might be the way forward.

The step of gving us a website to use with pictures and video could be a small step for mankind but a big step for the IAC. And whilst the law isn't totally clear on this subject, I can't see that happening.
stingman

Post by stingman »

From what i`ve seen on a website about TV Themes (TV Ark). I think that the main website hosts the links and all the flashy bits, and when you click on the TV Programme (Movie of title music) it goes to a different website hosted by a different host. It would be a bit like Me (being the Moderator of this site) hosting all the films to do with Horror (for example). This way, the Webspace (memory) isn`t taken up by just one computer. It is taken up over a lot of computers, with just one computer holding all the links (The IAC`s one). This would proberly move all the copyright issues over to the indevidual.

So is it worth doing?

As for pictures of peoples computers. No disrespect to anyone on here but, me personaly) I find this a bit boreing! Sorry. I love my two computers, they are in 100% acrylic cases and all light up. But I even think that everyone would get bored of them. Why not take a picture of your computer and use your Avatar (on this forum) to show it.

Be good guys............
Ian Gardner
Film Maker
Ray Williamson

Post by Ray Williamson »

Billy Ellwood has got it -- not quite right!
Pictures and text DO (or should) come out on the same screen!
That is how HTML works: it matters not at all on which server the picture is: it is pulled into text from (the same or) another server and all appears as one document!
Ain`t science wonderful?
So the answer is try it first. If it doesn`t work, complain to me again and I will try to sort out what you have done wrong!

I have corrected Mr. Ellwood`s name. I am sorry for my error.
Last edited by Ray Williamson on Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
billyfromConsett

Ray - if you're going to tell me I'm wrong then at least spell my name right!

And you surely can illustrate your correction can't you?

I want to see pictures on the screen...Please do it. :wink:
Ray Williamson

Post by Ray Williamson »

Oo, "L", sorry about that! Here we go then:

Ray age 4
billyfromConsett

Hey good one, and I've not seen a bear trying to breast feed before.

But thanks to your HTML session I've gone straight and used your advice. How about this great image:

You see, proof that anyone can do it - easy peasy!
Ray Williamson

Post by Ray Williamson »

There we are! I always knew you were brilliant!
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

yup... we're getting there !!!
Stephen

Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

yup... we're getting there !!!
Or rather we're not !

Stephen this image was demanding our Blue Yonder password info to see it. I guess that really means YOUR username and password.

Since it did that as soon as anyone visited this thread - scaring the bejeepers out of folk - I have taken the liberty of removing the photo. The principle is - as you have proven - sound but there can be hidden snags like this.

Dave
billyfromConsett

It goes like this...

Easy peasy!!
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Thanks Dave.....

ain't computers just a barrel of laughs eh?

back to the drawing board...
Stephen