Your next Camcorder?

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Roy

Post subject

Post by Roy »

I'm waiting(probally in vain) for a camcorder, 3 chip, with buttons to press to select whatever is offered that is useful, without having to go through menus to change something. Something on the lines of the last of the super 8mm. film cameras. Most of the features offered on modern Camcorders, I never need to use. I suspect many others don't use them either. I would like a cheap Mini DV tape playback unit to transfer to computer for editing. mainly to save wear and tear on the small camcorder motor. I suppose I shall be looked on as a luddite, but at my age I couldn't care. There's to much worry about gimmicks and not enough about content. Roy
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

I think you'll be waiting in vain Roy. Menu-driven switching is far cheaper, lighter, more reliable and comprehensive than mechanical 'real' switches.

The further away from the consumer Handycam you get the more you're offered in the way of discrete buttons and switches though. This is partly due to the fact that the bigger cameras have more real estate on which to place the switches as well as the fact that a camera used professionally needs instant acting switches that aren't 3 menu levels deep.

As you say, you don't need or want many of the latest camcorder features, so better that they're menu-driven rather than vulnerable mechanical switches. That way they're there should you want them and their inclusion has kept the purchase price down.

Down? Well yes. If Canon didn't offer such a host of little used surprise and delight options in the advertising brochure the customers would all be over at the Sony shop, buying what appeared to be a 'better value' camcorder. So the gadgets and gizmos keep the customers coming and keep camera quality amazingly high for those of us who just want a good lens and chip-block.

tom.
Willy

Post by Willy »

tom hardwick wrote:I think you'll be waiting in vain Roy. Menu-driven switching is far cheaper, lighter, more reliable and comprehensive than mechanical 'real' switches.
Cameras
This is a thread about technical problems. These are important, but I find exchange of ideas about real filmmaking more important. I mean : power in the film, storyline, photography, etc... Now a bird is known by its note and a man by his talk. In my club there are also some friends who always want to talk about their cameras and editing machines and they get bored stiff when I talk about structure of films, etc... I accept their approach and I even give them enough time and opportunities to demonstrate their equipment.

Panasonic SVHS Sony 2000
Of course you need an excellent camera. I have already used my sony 2000 for 5-6-7 years and up to now I have not decided to buy a new one. Last week I showed my "Irish Moment" in a club. The camera work for that documentary was still done with my impressive Panansonic SVHS. I made a copy of it on a mini-DV. The picture quality is still excellent. Nobody said : "That film was not made with a digital camera !".

The naked eye
Sometimes you cannot see the quality difference with the naked eye. I think I will only buy a new camera when I am really obliged to do it. For instance after having dropped my camera or when DV-cassettes are not availalbe anymore. I must only admit that you can see the difference between a VHS-film and a digital film, but when judging films I never consider the quality of the images as a criterion.

He dropped his camera. He did it on purpose !
I have a clubmate who is always eager to buy the newest cameras. I must admit : he is not a poor man you know. However his wife is against buying new cameras and editing machines all the time. Last year he dropped his camera. He did it on purpose. Anyway that's what he told us. His wife didn't know that he had done it on purpose. So this time she didn't harp on about spending too much money on a new camera. He just had to buy a new one and she even felt sorry for him. Naughty of him, isn't it ? He deceived his wife !
Willy Van der Linden
bunny

Post by bunny »

tom hardwick wrote:Good. Glad you've changed your mind. Mini DV is streets ahead of the silly DVD camcorders, though I'm pretty sure salesmen have an easy time shifting the latter.

The camera you want is the Canon MV-20, no doubt about it. If that doesn't appeal then go for the Sony HC7. It's not as good, but hey, the nut behind the shutter has far more influence on the film's outcome than ever a camcorder did.

tom.
Thanks Tom. As always you give excelent advise. I have taken your advise and will be going for the Canon. I assume you meant the HC-20. Assuming I can find a supplier then all this nutter will have to do then is learn how to make good films after nearly 50 years of trying :lol:

Bunny
Growing old is inevitable growing up is optional
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

Actually Bunny we both got it wrong. I meant the HV-20 (under £700), and you can see it here:

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/?/photo ... .html#hv20

Sorry for confusing you.

tom.
somebody1997

Bargain 3 Chip Camcorder with external microphone socket

Post by somebody1997 »

After a little research, I think I've found an absolute bargain 3 Chip Camcorder with external microphone socket, which I hope may be of use...

I have bought, and received, a Panasonic NV-GS230 Camcorder, which cost me £245.99 (pounds sterling). I got mine via the 'pricerunner' shopbot.

To doublecheck this camcorder definitely has an external microphone socket I wrote to Panasonic, who confirmed this for me:

------------------

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have visited the panasonic customer Support download centre and found Operating Instructions for the NV-GS230EB and NV-GS230EP. Both of these cameras have external microphone sockets.

Would I be safe in assuming that any Panasonic NV-GS230 Camcorder, regardless of whether they are 'EP' or 'EB', all contain external microphone sockets?

There are a variety of confusing product specs online for the Panasonic NV-GS230 Camcorder, such as currys who list the item as "Panasonic NVGS230EBS Digital Camcorder 654234".

It would put my mind at rest if I knew that every single UK model of the Panasonic NV-GS230 Camcorder have separate microphone sockets.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Peter

------------------

ISSUE RESOLUTION: Dear Peter,

Thank you for your email enquiry.

In response, the EB suffix denotes that the unit is of UK specification. The S suffix is for the silver finish. All UK specification NVGS230 units will have the microphone socket.

I trust that this information has been of assistance to you. However, of course, if you should have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us by phone on 0844 844 3852, by fax on 01344 853213 or at customer.care@panasonic.co.uk and we will endeavour to assist.

Regards,

Customer Support

-------------

:D
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Hi Somebody,
I have bought, and received, a Panasonic NV-GS230 Camcorder,
Just to be 100% sure that I am pissed off can you confirm that you have the beastie in your hands and it does have a mic socket?

Why should I be pissed off? Because I sought a cheap miniDV camcorder to take on a trip last year and hunted in vain for one with a mic socket that cost less than £500.

I won't sulk.

Much.

Dave
Roy

Post subject

Post by Roy »

Hi Dave, The panasonic GS300 is 3 chip and has an external mic socket and bracket. You can buy this excellent camcorder for under £400. Roy
somebody1997

Post by somebody1997 »

Dave Watterson wrote:Hi Somebody,
I have bought, and received, a Panasonic NV-GS230 Camcorder,
Just to be 100% sure that I am pissed off can you confirm that you have the beastie in your hands and it does have a mic socket?

Why should I be pissed off? Because I sought a cheap miniDV camcorder to take on a trip last year and hunted in vain for one with a mic socket that cost less than £500.

I won't sulk.

Much.

Dave
Yes Dave I can totally 100% verify that I have the beastie in my hands and it does indeed have an external microphone socket in addition to the onboard built-in microphone.

Sorry to hear about your expenditure, although I'm sure your camcorder is good quality nonetheless.

All the best

Peter
Betamax Kid

Re: Your next Camcorder?

Post by Betamax Kid »

stingman wrote:What would you look for when purchasing your next camcorder?

Would you go for price? Brand? Features? etc....

I`ve just bought a Cheap JVC model for £149 to replace my orther cheap one that broke. I went for price and features. My old one was a Canon Model and gave great service. Canon wasn`t available in the shop so I went for this one. There was a Samsung model but this looked tacky!

If I had a bit of spare money, I would have brought the Sony FX1. I have used this model in semi-pro situations and would recommend this to anybody?

For me I would look at the front end first then work backwards.

1/ A good quality lens
2/ Optical steady shot (Not digital)

And so on. The lens for me is the most important thing of all.
billyfromConsett

Post by billyfromConsett »

I'll get a tapeless camcorder next. It will be something I can take on holiday, probably the flash memory type. The Canon cams seem to get most of the awards in the consumer charts.
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

I'll stick with miniDV tapes until you have to buy them from the museums. Cheapest form of storage there is (?) - around 16gigs for just over £1. That's unlikely to be bettered in my lifetime.

Anyway, having recently bought an FX1 to go with my HC7 (and TVR900), I'm a bit committed to the format.
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

Mike, I'm pretty sure SD cards will be cheaper per GB than tape pretty soon. Already it's closing in on £1/GB for SD cards - ok, nowhere near the 13 GB per pound for Sony Premium Mini DV tape, but if it's a straight line graph from the cost of 512 mB 10 years ago, they'll be giving away 2 gig cards with Cornflakes in 2011.
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

Yep. I'm pretty sure you're right Tom.

But I really can't see me changing horses now - I'm pretty close to the other side of the stream. I really think what I have now - with the possible exception of the editor - will have to see me through.
Willy

Post by Willy »

Mike Shaw wrote: .
It was terrible. In my footage little drops out from the beginning till the end. My Sony 2000 failed again. That was about a month ago. In the mean time I bought a second hand camera on ebay. A sony 2100. Price : 1300 euros. I bought it in Germany. Of course it was a bit risky. So, not yet a high definition camera, though I know that Michael and other friends are very happy with their HD-cameras. It was not easy to find a second hand sony 2000 or 2100, but finally I got it. In a cardboard box. It was like new and the quality of the images seems to be excellent.

I think I was a bit careless with the old one. Sometimes I lie on the ground to take the best and most impressive shots. Also on the beach. Then I take risks : sand in my camera or forgetting that a sony 2000 is not an underwater camera.
Willy Van der Linden