Virtual Video Group IAC Membership Application

IAC General Discussions
edin

Virtual Video Group IAC Membership Application

Post by edin »

I wish to make an IAC membership application for the Virtual Video group and on looking at the membership application form it is based on an individual membership/club at a fixed location. In the case of the VVG the group coverage is the UK covering all the Regions and not fixed to one location. Advice is therefore sought as to how I should complete the membership application form. I am already an IAC member and get my copy of the F&VM in the case of the VVG a digital edition would be a great asset.
I look forward to your advice and comments.
TimStannard

Re: Virtual Video Group IAC Membership Application

Post by TimStannard »

I am surprised the VVG isn't already affiliated. The IAC should make this possible, poste haste as the VVG is a fantastic initative. There are many groups who meet online and whilst at present it may seem the IAC might not appeal to them, this certainly one area we should look at expanding into.

To answer to OPs question, whilst you have no fixed location, you presumably have a Secretary or someone whom you could nominate as the "address" of the group. It is far quicker and more practical for yoj to do this now than to wait for the IAC machinery to catch up. You are operating NOW. Even with the best will in the world it is going to take two or theree editions before FVM goes online (and we all know there are many implications with this).

Choose an address. Become affiliated and fight your corner from within.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
John Simpson

Post by John Simpson »

Even with the best will in the world it is going to take two or theree editions before FVM goes online (and we all know there are many implications with this).
Firstly "Is FVM going online?

Secondly: I did not know about Virtual Video Clubs, this is a whole new area for me to explore.

Thirdly: Existing video clubs could explore further the possibility of becoming more virtual, setting up virtual competitions open to anyone at very little cost, even spending some club funds on prizes - and see where it leads. Membership of the iAC may be good for virtual movie makers not least because they get the music copyright exemption.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

John Simpson wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:22 am
Even with the best will in the world it is going to take two or theree editions before FVM goes online (and we all know there are many implications with this).
Firstly "Is FVM going online?
Sorry if I misled. I simply meant IF it went online. I have no knowledge that any such plans exist.
John Simpson wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:22 am Thirdly: Existing video clubs could explore further the possibility of becoming more virtual, setting up virtual competitions open to anyone at very little cost, even spending some club funds on prizes - and see where it leads. Membership of the iAC may be good for virtual movie makers not least because they get the music copyright exemption.
It's already happening, John. Earlier this year, when planning our calendar at Surrey Border Movie Makers, it wasn't clear whether we'd be back meeting by October, when our Inter Club Competition was sheduled. This is normally by invitation to LOCAL clubs and a good excuse to meet up with other film makers on the night of the competition. I suggested that for this year we invite people from far and wide and hold it on Zoom. We had clubs from Scotland, the North, the Midlands, the West and the East as well as the Virtual Video Group (in their first competition, I believe). The latter extended the reach of people to Nothern Ireland and Wales as well as other parts of England.

It was very successful. The tech held up, we had several good conversations, people who wouldn't normally meet up were able to and people want to do it again!

With regard to the IAC copyright thing, technically it doesn't cover us for YouTube/Vimeo (and this might be an issue for the VVG). However, we had an invited audience only and the films were not accessible by the public, so it was much like people attending a meeting at our normal venue. I'm sure it wouldn't stand up in court, but I'm equally sure it is within the spirit of the deal we have with PRS/PPL/MCPS. (My own views and not necessarily those of SBMM or the IAC)
Tim
John Simpson

Post by John Simpson »

Not as easy as I thought then!
I only uses music from the YouTube Music Library, that solves the YouTube problem.
Well done with the Virtual Surrey Boarders Comp, I will try and put a film in if you do it again. Did you arrange and chair the Zoom Tim?
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

John Simpson wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:59 pm Not as easy as I thought then!
I only uses music from the YouTube Music Library, that solves the YouTube problem.
Well done with the Virtual Surrey Boarders Comp, I will try and put a film in if you do it again. Did you arrange and chair the Zoom Tim?
Nah - that was above my pay grade and skill set. If you want to know the details (it includes pay for software) I can put you in touch with our technical whizzes?
Tim
John Simpson

Post by John Simpson »

That is one of the problems, film making and showing films at film clubs ceases to be fun and it becomes pseudo work. This is a trap many sorts of clubs fall into, they are no longer pleasureable they just turn into another chore. With me it is making a film out of an idea which is the fun bit. Or just taking film clips or rushes and seeing what I can make of some of them.

I am not saying organising stuff cannot be rewarding but we all need to be aware if the cause is worthwhile and why we are doing it.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

We are fortunate in having members who find this sort of technical challenge fun. Of course once they have solved the problem it ceases to be fun, so we have to provide them with the next problem - in our case creating a hybrid meeting, where we meet in person, but the meeting can be streamed to remote members who can also participate. They have solved this.

Whether we actually want to do this is a whole different discussion!

I enjoy the technical challenges of film making - for example my green-screened films. Once I'd achieved satisfactory results, that aspect ceased to be fun - it became, as you so rightly say, "work". However, the fun was still to be had in creating the script, imagining and later realising the shots, getting the kids to sing and recording them, creating the MIDI tracks for the backing, getting the kids to sing, mixing the audio, getting the kids to act and filming them, assembling the rough cuts, creating as smooth a flow within the film from the shots as I can. The actual techie bit of removing the green screen was work, but necessary and still enjoyable, because I could see the results appear before my eyes.
Tim