Phil Martin

IAC General Discussions
Howard-Smith

Phil Martin

Post by Howard-Smith »

The first BIAFF I attended was in 2008. The main film I remember from that year was the 5 star award winner IN THE NATIONAL INTEREST, an excellent drama made by Phil Martin. I saw Phil and more of his films at subsequent BIAFFS but not for the last few years. Does anyone know if Phil is still with us? He was a really good filmmaker.
Howard-Smith

Re: Phil Martin

Post by Howard-Smith »

A week has gone by since I asked about Phil Martin but there has been no response yet.
In addition to IN THE NATIONAL INTEREST, Phil also submitted the following films to BIAFF:
A GENTLE WOMAN
I JUST KNEW
THE PRODIGY
SECRETS
His films were entered up to about 7 years ago. I enjoyed them all and just wondered whether or not he was still making films.
John Simpson

Post by John Simpson »

Yes they are great films all round, have you tried messageing him on Vimeo? PS Your new thumbnail taken from the film "Sean" gives you an different image!
Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith »

Yes John I did send Phil a message via his Vimeo page a few days before posting on here, but I haven’t received a response.
I had a decent chat with Phil at one of the BIAFFS and would be interested to know if he’s still around and still making films.
I remember saying to him that whoever I heard the phrase “In the National interest” in the news, I always thought of him and his excellent film with that title.
There must be someone out there who knows something!
Oh and, yes, I finally cracked the problem of uploading an image to be my avatar. I had to considerably reduce the dpi of the image to around 75 x 100.
Yes, my new avatar shows a cartoonised version of me as “5 Star Sean”.
Howard-Smith

Post by Howard-Smith »

Oh dear. I found the following two posts from late 2020 with regard to Phil Martin.

Post by Willy Van der Linden » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:54 pm
... On the IAC-web I noticed "A Gentle Woman" by Phil Martin. 4 stars at BIAFF 2011. I wanted to see that "old" one, too. I met Phil at BIAFF in the good old days and we had a nice chat. I always enjoyed his movies. I remember he even won a gold or silver at UNICA. Phil helped me once. I needed a good voice of an old lady for one of my films, "Dancing in the Air". He asked his neighbour who was in her nineties to help me. "Dancing in the Air" received 5 stars and was shown at BIAFF. I sent her a bunch of flowers to thank her. But I wonder what's happened to Phil Martin. Has he stopped making films?

Michael Slowe » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:20 pm
Willy, I fear that Phil Martin was very ill after the time that you refer to. I too very much enjoyed his films, he was talented.