Website providers

IAC General Discussions
Peter Copestake

Website providers

Post by Peter Copestake »

Pendle MM made the mistake of not arranging a deputy web site manager when we set up ours (www.pendlemoviemakers.com) and now Frank Walsh has died in circumstances which gave no possibility of arranging for someone to take over we are left with trying to arrange something with Wix. But they want details of Frank's card, which his widow is unwilling to provide, AND a copy of the death certificate which we are unwilling to ask her for.

Could someone suggest an alternative provider? The site needs be simple to operate as none of us is expert, easy to navigate for any enquirer (I've just looked at one where the choices of other pages seem to disappear when the first is chosen) and inexpensive.
NB. It doesn't want to look sophisticated because we aren't!

Thanks,
Peter.
Peter Copestake
Jameela M Boardman

Re: Website providers

Post by Jameela M Boardman »

Dear Peter,
There are actually two issues, the domain name (www. - ) and the hosting provider (where your files are stored on the internet). ...There are many companies that would do this for you, but there is hassle and expense.

For what you need, setting up a Facebook group might be easier, more effective, and it is free.

Jameela
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

My recommendation is Weebly. It is free - though as is often the case they sometimes tempt you to buy a more advanced system. It does not add advertisements to your website as some free services do. It asks only for a mention of its name in the page footnote. You get a free domain which includes the word weebly.

Domain name is not so important as it used to be. Most people find websites through search engines, so a short snappy address which looks good in print in less essential.

You can still find on the IAC website, under the clubs menu, notes on building a website, which I wrote with Peter Kidman some years ago. It is a little outdated but still broadly correct.

Above all the system is "what you see is what you get" - which means you do not have to know about the code behind the scenes.

Quite a lot of clubs use this system.
Peter Copestake

Thanks, Dave. Will pass this on to someone with a more active brain.
Peter.
Peter Copestake
Peter Copestake

Thanks,Jameela. Frank used Facebook himself. I don't think it brought us any enquiries. Glad to see you are still in touch with the IAC.
Peter.
Peter Copestake
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

The key to generating any interest is contantly updating Facebook (or indeed any social media). A static Facebook site will never be found. Websites, from a club point of view, are probably more useful for comparatively static information.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it