Exterior Filming in the 'North' this Summer

IAC General Discussions
Jameela M Boardman

Exterior Filming in the 'North' this Summer

Post by Jameela M Boardman »

As will become apparent in the upcoming edition of our Film and Video Maker magazine; at short notice I have been asked to take over from Peter Copestake as Northern News Co-ordinator for the magazine.

In this respect, I would be very interested to come and visit as many as is possible for me, of Exterior video-film shoots in the loosely defined 'North' which involve multiple people and with our Northern scenery as backdrop. I would be taking "Behind the Scenes" still photographs for possible inclusion our 'Northern News' page of the magazine... I am looking for newsworthy subjects that would inspire other members.

If your productions this summer might fit this, please contact me.

Jameela M Boardman
solar.stirling@btopenworld.com
Dave Watterson

Re: Exterior Filming in the 'North' this Summer

Post by Dave Watterson »

I know there has been a certain degree of despondency as much-loved and respected regional officers retired or in some cases passed away ... but the North-West and North-East of England is packed with talented film makers. You must be out and about shooting this summer, so do contact Jameela and let her know about it.

Are you spending hours in a hide waiting for the perfect bird or animal shot?
Are you trying to find a camera position to give you a fresh angle on a local ceremony or parade?
Are you battling with holiday schedules to get the cast together for a couple of weekends?
Are you on a cruise ship, lolling about in an airport waiting room, fidgetting on a train as you read this? Where have you been, what are you shooting.
Are you off-gassing after some breathtaking dives?
Are you locked in your workshop determined to complete a project?

Tell her !

I look forward to reading all about it.
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

Dave Watterson wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:00 am Are you locked in your workshop determined to complete a project?
You know me too well, Dave! And you should know by now that my projects are always top secret :wink: :lol:

Welcome to the forum, Jameela :D

John
Jameela M Boardman

Old generations go and new generations come; such is life... The difficulty of finding news to write about from active members in the north, shows I think, that the IAC is not attracting many people from this 'new' generation! There is a massive interest in media studies and user made content on-line today, but the IAC is not picking up on it. I have written articles for our FVM magazine before, and have more to say in the future on why I think the reasons are for this – but this is just my opinion. The fact is, membership is declining.

A corollary to my difficulty in finding news from the north, is that I myself have a powerful Script ready to make, entitled 'To Think Creatively', which is set in the Yorkshire Dales and Liverpool – but try as I might, I cannot find collaborators to help me make it.
(Synopsis at https://www.northspirit.org/synopsis-to ... tively.pdf )

I want to try to help our Institute become attractive to the next generation, because I feel: independent, not-for-profit, profound, artistic expression of ideas, is so important to encourage and support.

I feel inspirational news stories with dramatic northern scenery would be a good help towards this end.
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

Hi Jameela.

To attract the 'new' generation requires the use of the tools used by them, such as social media and in particular Facebook. The CEMRIAC Region has a fairly active page updated by the awesome Simon Sumner and often promotes the competitions and events of the region, as well as other items of interest to its members. NERIAC (my other region as I am 'dual nationality' LOL) also had a page but very little was made of it and it disappeared for a reason I thought to be more of an excuse (I'll PM you details if you're interested). The most successful clubs in various regions also have active Facebook pages, which of course allow practically anyone in the entire world to see what is happening, and is the best kind of free publicity one could hope for.

Of course, one must actually have something to print, which is an issue in itself, but even if not, regular 'how to' articles and links to online resources keep the page active and in the mind's eye. Unfortunately, even if one has something to print, adding it solely to the excellent member's only magazine is a little like preaching to the converted. Clubs, the IAC and BIAFF events are littered with stories of people who had never even heard of any of them before - myself included.

John
Jameela M Boardman

Dear John,
Most people seem to like engaging with social media, but it is not for me. It seems to suit what is popular, not that which is "different".

So while your comment is probably true, I myself could not add any further constructive comment to this line.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

John, if by "new generation" we are talking about younger people, I think you'll find most under about 35 now shun Facebook and everything is Instagram (at least this is what I'm told by the next generation in my extended family who range in age from 14 to 32). However Facebook seem sto work well for people of any age above that (and the youngsters do dip in - and are more likely to do so if theres' a club or other page dedicated to their interests.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Jameela M Boardman wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:10 am Most people seem to like engaging with social media, but it is not for me.
I can totally understand not wishing to engage with social media, but if that's where the "new generation" is, that's likey to be the most productive sea in which to fish.
Jameela M Boardman wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:10 am It seems to suit what is popular, not that which is "different".
I think you're wrong. Sure, if you just become "friends" with people you know, you will be treated to trivia and posts by everyone competeing for attention. However, among the personal stuff you will, I am sure, find pages and groups dedicated to just about every "different" there is. Having said that, i douby wheher there are many pages dedicated to "living off the grid" :)
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it