Freddy Beard FACI

IAC General Discussions
TimStannard

Freddy Beard FACI

Post by TimStannard »

I know that many of you here will be sad to learn that Freddy Beard passed away last night. Freddy was secretary of Orpington Film & Video Makers and Treasurer (and I think former Chairman) of SERIAC. She was a regular at BIAFF and a frequent attendee at other club & regional events. For many years, with Rita Hayes, she has organised the SERIAC Festival and her boundless entusiasm and energy put many of us to shame.
RIP Freddy.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Dave Watterson

Re: Freddy Beard FACI

Post by Dave Watterson »

Freddy's death was a shock. She was, among all the things you mention, also a regular UNICA visitor. She could not come this year, but was being positive about coming to UNICA in 2019.

She was always a positive presence and ever-willing to help in any way.

Jan and I send our sympathy to her family and friends, both in the UK and in Poland.
Willy

Post by Willy »

This is very sad. Last time when I met her was at UNICA in Dortmund last year. She was always very friendly. I thought of seeing her again at SERIAC in April, but I missed it. Indeed, it is quite a shock!
Willy Van der Linden
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

I now have details of the funeral arrangements for Freddie.

It will take place at 2pm on Wednesday 1st August at Kemnal Park Cemetery/crematorium, A20 Sidcup By-Pass, Chislehurst BR7 6RR
There will be a wake afterwards at the Bull’s Head, Royal Parade, Chislehurst BR7 6NR.

It’s a long time off but the family would like an idea as to how many might attend the wake afterwards for catering purposes. If you plan to attend then please let Annabelle Lancaster know. If you do not have her address, please pm me here or write to asstweb@theiac.org.uk
Brian Saberton

Post by Brian Saberton »

That's terribly sad news.
Brian Saberton
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Freddy's Facebook page has just been updated by her family. I reproduce the message here:

Frederica (Freddy), née Brown, sadly passed away at Princess Royal University Hospital, Farnborough, Kent on 8th June 2018, aged 79.

The widow of Leonard (Len) Beard, she is survived by three children: Alan, Andrew and Michael; and two grandchildren, Timek and Thomas - all of whom will miss her very much.

Born in Birmingham on 30 November 1938, she moved to South Africa with her family, before returning to the UK to live and work in London, then settling in Orpington with Len, where they lived together for 40 years.

Freddy always liked to be busy. Once the family were self-sufficient she worked locally in administrative roles, and volunteered at many organisations; Oxfam, St Mary’s Cray Primary School, Orpington Video and Film Makers, and the Institute of Amateur Cinematographers.

Freddy loved to travel, experiencing the culture, language and the food, as well as capturing her adventures on camera. Her travels took her to Rio de Janeiro, South Korea, Dubai, Tunisia, North America and repeatedly in to Europe.

One of Freddy’s proudest moments was when she collected her BSc in environment and development watched by friends and family. She also loved driving an E Type Jaguar for her 70th Birthday.

The funeral is at Kemnal Park Crematorium at 2pm on 01/08/2018. We invite Freddy’s friends to join the family for the service and after to celebrate her life.

Donations in lieu of flowers to Oxfam.