Val Ellis

IAC General Discussions
fraught

Val Ellis

Post by fraught »

Just heard the news about Val Ellis. Very sad to hear that she has passed.

I have fond memories of her from when i went to the IAC festivals in London back in the late 80's, and early 90's. She would always stop and chat with me as a young whipper snapper. Full of encouragement. Over the last couple of years when i have managed to see her, she would always remind me that she has been keeping a keen eye on my work. Such a lovely lady.
Only Boring People Get Bored
http://www.fraught.net
Michael Slowe

Re: Val Ellis

Post by Michael Slowe »

Couldn't agree more with those words concerning the dear departed Val. She was a wonderful person, great sense of humour and so encouraging to fellow film makers. She was a schoolteacher at one time I believe, all I can say is, lucky pupils.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Her great friend for many, many years - Gerald Mee - spoke to her on the phone in the morning. She passed away in the afternoon. She was able to stay in her own home, with the support of her sister, until the end. She retained her mental capacities too.

Those things would be very important to her.

She will be greatly missed.
Willy

Post by Willy »

She was a fantastic lady. I loved her speeches at the BIAFF gala dinners when she was president of the IAC. I loved her sense of humour. She was so friendly! She was always very positive! Ken Wilson and I received the diploma of "Master Movie Maker Fellowship" from her at Royal Tunbridge Wells in 2007. That was quite an honour. Michael Slowe filmed the ceremony... She will deep in my thoughts when watching that moment again.
Willy Van der Linden
Ken Wilson

Post by Ken Wilson »

I have just read this tonight. It is so sad. We spoke at the Burnley festival back in March and she was telling us she had only a few months to live. Then she came to our presentation at Cheadle and Gatley club several months ago along with our FVM editor Garth. She was looking quite well then, but it was hard to say "So long" at the end of the evening knowing that this would likely be the last time we saw her. Val was always a fan of Phase 4 Films and came for a chat with us at the IAC festivals we attended. Her comments as a film competition judge were always fair and balanced. It`s another big loss to the IAC and film makers everywhere.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

I have just been told that Val's funeral will be
on Wednesday 7th February
at 12:30
in Altrincham Crematorium, Whitehouse Ln, Dunham Massey, Altrincham WA14 5RH
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Val's funeral was very well attended. I think Michael & Linda Gough and Brian Dunckley came from furthest North, while the farthest journey from the South was by Richard and Afifa Rouillard.

David Andrew, her long-time friend and club colleague had written a super eulogy, which was read perfectly by Ray Johnson. It captured Val's constant curiosity about what was new to her, her sense of fun, her academic achievements, her sporting exploits, the fun she and Celia had in their open-top sports car and on their boat. It highlighted her enthusiasm for all sorts of film, but especially animation and work by young people.

The service was led by John Gleaves - another long-time friend. His final words left me close to tears. He faced the coffin and quoted Val's catch-phrase: "Keep smiling, kid."
Betamax Kid

Post by Betamax Kid »

I was saddened to hear the news at our 9.5mm film group meeting. Val was a great support to me in my time as youth officer for the NW IAC region some years ago and I will miss her enthusiasm.