You Tube & copyright music

IAC General Discussions
Peter Stedman

You Tube & copyright music

Post by Peter Stedman »

As we know, You Tube occasionally picks up on the use of copyright music used in our videos. I have been flagged up for the use of a small part of a band in a street procession. A friend of mine recently went to a summer garden party where a big band was playing. He made a very good video using his mobile phone, mainly of the band and it was placed on YOU Tube. Despite that it was all music throughout the quite long video, not a whisper from You Tube.

Any comments or observations on this?

Pete.
John Roberts

Re: You Tube & copyright music

Post by John Roberts »

Hi Peter,

It's an automated system - it has to be due to the sheer number of videos being uploaded - and therefore it's a fallible system. I have been picked up for copyright infringement on my music videos, of me playing, in my band, playing our own original music, and when I questioned it twice I was threatened with a 'strike' against my account and possible banning from YouTube... yet I posted a fun documentary which contained a good portion of a 'New Model Army' track I copied from CD and not a peep from them! :shock:

Luck of the draw, I'm afraid...
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

As John says the system is automatic. It usually informs the registered copyright holder and leaves the decision on how to respond to that organisation. Some don't care, others are very strict and demand that the soundtrack be removed ... and so on. Some leave standing instructions for YouTube others do not.

There are sometimes hilarious confusions between pieces of music, sometimes doubt about who owns the rights and other complications.

The only safe rule, if you are not sure of your right to use the music, is to delete the movie from your YouTube collection. (The ball belongs to YouTube so it is their game and their rules.)

There are other video hosts worth considering: vimeo and the awkwardly named dailymotion for example ...
Peter Stedman

Post by Peter Stedman »

Thanks for your replies. Sorry for delay in replying - I've been busy counting my money. :roll: Pete.
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

John, I seem to recall seeing a similar story to yours, it may even have been from you, about you being threatened after using your own music and your own playing! I most certainly would not have accepted this as you appear to have done. Surely there must be someone you can contact concerning the management of You Tube? it's actually an affront to human expression, these big (USA?) corporations are getting too big for their global boots, you really should have taken it further.