Club Insurance

IAC General Discussions
Peter Copestake

Club Insurance

Post by Peter Copestake »

We have club third party liability insurance for £2Million.
Does anyone know whether this is still enough?
The Leeds & Liverpool Canal were originally insisting on £5 million but they were acting as though we were professional with a crew of several
and not being helpful. Still aren't!
Thanks.
Peter Copestake
Lee Prescott

Re: Club Insurance

Post by Lee Prescott »

'Lo Peter,

Re insurance: I'm not sure if £2m is OK but that seems to be the ballpark figure in comparison and e.g. with car insurance legal protection et al.

Might I suggest that you try <Info@imaginginsurance.co.uk> 'phone 01277 243016.

I deal with this Company and have done for several years. I'm sure they'd be helpful and you also might find their premiums cheaper!

LEE.
Peter Copestake

Thanks, Lee.
I've contacted your firm but was a bit put off when they offered a proposal form that was obviously related to domestic property cover but they say they do cover some clubs and charities.
Regarding how much to be insured for my neighbour runs a technical consultancy business and "thinks" his cover is 5-10 million but he deals with escalators and lifts in large premises though he also feels 5m is the general figure.
For myself, or rather for the club, I feel brokers should know the sort of claims that are being made on the sort of clients whose insurance they arrange else what are they doing for their fee? These were the firm recommended by IAC but they freely admit they don't look for other insurers.
I'll try to remember to post an answewr if I get satisfaction.
Peter Copestake
Lee Prescott

Post by Lee Prescott »

'Lo Peter,

The response you received seems very odd to me. Seems like it was picked up by an "apprentice"!!!

Ask 'em specifically about video equipment insurance including public liability - and when filming etc.

All my stuff etc. is with them and has been for a number of years. Low premium, in fact hardly ever increased and then
only related to Govt. Tax for a whole range of equipment including 30 days abroad. inc. theft from a locked unattended
vehicle etc. and public liability! ---

When my car was broken into and the boot smashed open in on street parking in France once some years ago, they paid out for
a new semi pro Sony digital video camera. All I did was send them a copy of the Gendarmerie report.

Property / buildings insurance I did NOT include as it wasn't necessary.
Peter Copestake

Yes, Lee, but they did say I should phone them which I have done this morning and got a quote within a couple of hours. Unfortunately it was 40% more than we are due to pay to the brokers we normally deal with and as I feel the likelihood of a claim is minimal I'm afraid we'll have to stick with them and we'll stay with the 2 million too.
But thanks for the recommendation.
Good to be in contact again. I'm so sorry about your experience regarding youngsters and the IAC.
Peter Copestake
Lee Prescott

Post by Lee Prescott »

Hello Peter,

How strange re the quote you got from Imaging Insurance being 40% above your present arrangement. If this wasn't an open forum I'd
tell you how much I pay per month. Still could do by e-mail, then we could compare. Mind you, it's due for me in another months time so I'm now
wondering if they're going to do some "catching up"----Grrrrr!!! "Norty"!

Re your comment and our Youngsters -v- the "IAC Happening"; that's completely another story which should never have occurred. All I'll say now is that the average age of what I was officially recently told was the 1500 members must be way up the scale....nothing wrong with that UNLESS of course PPL, unlike me / us, fail to appreciate and connect with the much younger age group et al. Best summed up with a phrase I've often used in that connection: "Daddy Knows Best", how wrong -- Time moves on! Then of course certain smart*** IAC'ers start making up "excuses". :P
Peter Copestake

Sorry for delay. I ought to say that our renewed insurance is with the brokers recommended by IAC.
They didn't come back to me with quote for 5 million third party but I'm pretty sure that 2 million is sufficient.
Peter Copestake
Peter Copestake

I see there has been no further chat about this subject but it has come round to that time of year again. The quote from Gallaghers this year is less than last year's but is for a policy called Tradesmen & Professionals. Seems odd as we are neither. Wouldn't invalidate our amateur status, would it? :)
Peter Copestake
Brian Saberton

Post by Brian Saberton »

I'm a member of a Photographic Club and our public liability insurance is for £5 million via a deal negotiated by the Photographic Alliance of Great Britain.
Brian Saberton
Peter Copestake

Sorry, Brian, I've missed responding to your post. Thanks. I am still waiting ti hear from our town council and doubt I ever will until they ask us to do something for us again, possibly November '18 remembrance.
Peter Copestake
Peter Copestake

I HAVE heard from the town hall. Their insurers will NOT cover us as we are 'not under their direction'.
I don't really see why a club should need higher insurance than these guys who go around filming on the move on their phones whithout looking where they are going!
Peter Copestake