Use of Replica Firearms

IAC General Discussions
edin

Use of Replica Firearms

Post by edin »

I am planning a production that requires the use of a matched pair of 17 th Century duelling pistols. Has anyone else carried out a duelling scene using replica firearms in a public space such as a park. Are there any local authority, public and police notification/approvals needed prior to shooting such a scene.
TimStannard

Re: Use of Replica Firearms

Post by TimStannard »

Whether they are needed or not, I would absolutely inform the local council and the police of your intention. They will let you know if/what permission is required, but even if it's not required (which I very much doubt) you don't want your shoot interrupted by the sudden arrival of armed response units!

A few years ago (and one would imagine the police are even more alert now):
http://www.scotsman.com/news/replica-gu ... -1-1304121
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

Certainly inform the Police, tell them exactly what you're doing and I doubt they'd have a problem with it.

For the last Carnival Of Thieves album we took some photos of a man being held hostage with a pistol pointing at his head, in the middle of Rotherham town centre, directly in front of the police station! We told them what we had planned and they said it was fine after showing them the replica firearm. It also helps to indicate to any passers-by exactly what you are doing, i.e. make the cameras and crew very visible so it's obvious you're filming.

Good luck :D
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

John Roberts wrote:a man being held hostage with a pistol pointing at his head, in the middle of Rotherham town centre, directly in front of the police station!
I have a nephew who is a minister in Rotherham. He says that's just normal goings on there :)
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

TimStannard wrote:
John Roberts wrote:a man being held hostage with a pistol pointing at his head, in the middle of Rotherham town centre, directly in front of the police station!
I have a nephew who is a minister in Rotherham. He says that's just normal goings on there :)
Yep. That's about right :lol:
Lee Prescott

Post by Lee Prescott »

a response to edin:
:)
Replica FIREARMS!

A few years ago we produced a film recording a local historic event from way back in the early 19th. century. (go to https://vimeo.com/136194799) if you so wish.

Of necessity it involved the use of duelling pistols. We visited the Police and discussed what we wanted to do. This involved one pistol required to fire live. (No ammunition.) They seemed more interested in the story than our requirement! We employed an officially licensed armourer - checked. Also again, the IAC Membership Card helped. We pointed out that we would be using a field (miles from any habitations) for the actual duelling scene.

We were able to proceed. At the shoot we awaited the supervision. No one arrived so we went ahead and did the shoot - Bang - the pistol NOT the actor! We also ensured that it would be OK with just the one take. Didn't want to be banging off all late afternoon. Of course in this case I guess that in the countryside anyone hearing it would assume some ethnic was out with his "Bunny Gun"!

Everyone was co-operative but - it is important that with anything "different" the Police should be consulted. If you do so or with any of the Authorities - present your IAC Membership Card and with a full explanation. These days things being what they are - it might now be a little more difficult.

As an aside I recall that a few short years back a group of Students, in Southampton - if my memory serves me correctly, rolled out of a car armed with rifles! Members of the public did a very quick 999! In treble quick time the SWAT Squad arrived and rounded them all up! Seems they had failed to "get permission". The result could have been much worse!

LEE. 8)
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

definitely inform police first !!

it can sometimes work to your advantage!

you should be given an incident number ...

tell them what time you will start and what time you will vacate how many peeps involved...

did a beach scene with modern soldiers running about in full desert cam with very good imitation machine guns

bonus was the police helicopter did a low pass exactly where I wanted it !!!

that will do nicely sir!

PS although duelling 17th c pistols and helicopters might clash... ahem
Stephen

Film making is not a matter of Life and Death
It's much more important than that.
Lee Prescott

Post by Lee Prescott »

Response to Stephen.
although duelling 17th c pistols and helicopters might clash... ahem
Nah Sir, I'd have deploy my Light Sabre's to achieve that - far more dangerous!!
May "The Force Be With You".

LEE. :roll: