PAUL BAGSHAW R.I.P.

IAC General Discussions
Dave Watterson

PAUL BAGSHAW R.I.P.

Post by Dave Watterson »

I have just heard, through the good offices of Ken Wilson, that Paul Bagshaw from Southport film makers has passed away.

He was a fine, intelligent film maker who tackled a wide range of film genres and supported fellow club members.

He contributed several articles in the 'Making of ...' series on the IAC website dealing with his films Background Figure, Behind the Wire and The Secret.

His experimental film Blood Lake won a UNICA Bronze Medal.

A former schoolmaster, he was interested in a vast array of ideas and always willing to work with others. He makes a memorable appearance in Chocolate Moon as Alfred to a comedy Batman.

We send our sympathies to his family, friends and fellow film makers.
Willy

Re: PAUL BAGSHAW R.I.P.

Post by Willy »

That is very sad news, Dave. I would like to express my sincere condolences at the loss of this great movie maker. I have some copies of his films thanks to my friend Geoff Harrison. Also "Blood Lake".

It was Geoff who asked me to be the only judge at the Mersey Ten Competition at Preston about 6-7 years ago. That was quite a challenge. Geoff sent me the 24 films. I could watch them at home in order to judge them. It was a wonderful experience. I remember that I showed Paul's films in my two clubs before attending the proclamation in the north west. It was quite a relief to know that all my friends shared my own decision. "Head in the Sand" was the winner. Paul had made a fantastic film. The story was very touching. The photography in both his fiction films was sometimes superb. The actors were excellent...

I noticed Paul's name in lists with results of festivals that took place the following years. I was happy.

Paul Bagshaw was very interested in art I remember. His films were sometimes mysterious and fascinating. The power of emotions in his movies was very deep.
Willy Van der Linden
Lee Prescott

Re: PAUL BAGSHAW R.I.P.

Post by Lee Prescott »

I didn't know Mr. Paul Bagshaw personally but I have excellent memories of films from his Club, Southport Film Makers.

It is always sad when anyone passes away but perhaps the more so where a fellow film maker and of repute is concerned. The "time" comes for all of us eventually but it's nice when they leave an "archive" of quality films.

My condolences to Mr. Bagshaw's family and also to the Southport Club whom I'm sure, will miss him.

Sincerely: LEE.