PAMELA RETIRES and IAC OFFICE MOVES

IAC General Discussions
Dave Watterson

PAMELA RETIRES and IAC OFFICE MOVES

Post by Dave Watterson »

Pam Harrison, the IAC's part-time secretary at the Leatherhead Office is retiring.

IAC will now share two members of staff with The North East Music Cooperative in Gosforth near Newcastle upon Tyne. The new address is:

The IAC Film and Video Institute.
McCracken Park
Great North Road
Gosforth
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE3 2DT

Tel: 0191 303 8960

Email: admin@theiac.org.uk

Pamela Harrison has been invaluable to the IAC for several years. She not only handled membership matters and enquiries, but dealt with many of the financial aspects of the IAC as well. Those who have been in touch by phone know just how friendly and supportive she was in her work for IAC. She has given to the organisation far, far more than the work for which she was paid. Her successors will have a lot to learn and a very high standard to meet!

All of us thank Pamela very much for her devotion to IAC and wish her well in a "retirement" which promises to keep her just as busy with all her family and other commitments.
TimStannard

Re: PAMELA RETIRES and IAC OFFICE MOVES

Post by TimStannard »

Apart from my membership application/renewals which were handled without any personal interaction, I don't think I've ever had to deal with Pam. I don't think I've ever heard a word of complaint about the administration of membership or finance - and that's pretty unusual in any organisation. I often thought I ought to pop in, simply because the office was local to me. but then again it would be a bit weird for Pam!

So may I echo Dave's words of thanks for a job efficiently and effectively done.

Well done Pam.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Pam and Brian have attended a number of BIAFFs and - I guess - may be at the AGM weekend. So you might have bumped into them without realising it.
Willy

Post by Willy »

Sometimes we do not realize how important people are who work behind the scenes. I am sure that Pam must be one of them.

When I wanted to be helped then Pam always replied very soon. Problems with my overseas IAC-membership for instance. Pam knows what I mean. I am grateful to her and I wish her all the best.
Willy Van der Linden
Lee Prescott

Post by Lee Prescott »

:( I'm very surprised and saddened at the tiny number of postings herein on the subject of Pam's retirement.

I had a umber of contacts with Pam over the years and she always assisted me helpfully "within the rules"!

She became the "backbone" at Leatherhead and my guess is that the job cannot have been easy knowing
certain of the hierarchy as I do and as far as I'm concerned, that is reflected in the facts as they have transpired!!!
Patience would need to be more than a virtue!

I don't know IF Pam will see these postings and since I do not have any direct contact with the Lady I hope she sees this.

Have and enjoy a sweet retirement Pam and all happiness be yours.

LEE. :)
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Lee Prescott wrote::( I'm very surprised and saddened at the tiny number of postings herein on the subject of Pam's retirement.
I wouldn't be, Lee. The number of people who post on this forum is but a handful - a very tiny percentage of IAC members. Given that most people within the IAC have, like me, had no direct dealing
with Pam, I suspect all those who both post here and who have had any dealing with her, have posted.
She also received recognition and the thanks and good wishes of all those present at the IAC AGM.

That's often how it goes with unsung heroes - they're unsung!
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

TimStannard wrote: The number of people who post on this forum is but a handful - a very tiny percentage of IAC members.
As pointed out by some long-haired 'youth' at the AGM :wink:

I have had no direct dealings with Pam and have only been an IAC member for a comparatively short time, but I joined in the thanks and well wishes given to her at the AGM :)

John
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Since we posters are only a 'handful' I must contribute by penning my thanks to Pam for so ably ensuring that the administration of the IAC was conducted to efficiently.

Whilst we are all bemoaning the apparent lack of interest in this forum among the wider membership, I would say that whenever I mention this to club audiences I get very blank looks. It simply has not occurred to most people that joining in with our discussions can be very rewarding. Maybe Dave (our forum moderator), you could find an opportunity at say, BIAFF, to address the audience on the merits of this forum?
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

Agreed, Michael.

Without wanting to hijack this 'thanks' thread for Pam, I did bring the issue of this forum up at the AGM, suggesting that the promotion of it might have a more prominent place on the home page of the IAC website. After all, a members forum - aimed squarely at, and with contributions from, the current demographic of IAC members - is a benefit to all members.

I agree that BIAFF is an ideal opportunity to address a captive audience, although that is but one instance in the year and I would hazard that the majority of filmmakers who put the effort in to attend BIAFF (if they can) would probably be aware of the forum as well. The forum requires a 24/7 promotion to casual users/surfers/members, and we have a network through the national magazine, regional newsletters and local clubs that can be prompted to promote interactivity on the forum, as well as the main IAC and individual club websites, Facebook etc.

With apologies to Pam :D

John
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

I should mention that Pamela's retirement was also announced and noted on the IAC Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/IAC-the- ... 96?fref=ts

The main link to the Forums has always been on the IAC Home Page but maybe I can ask Jan to plug it a bit as well.