Ooops, we had a slight problem

IAC General Discussions
col lamb

Ooops, we had a slight problem

Post by col lamb »

I have a couple of motorcycles, I also have a couple of those cheapish HD action camcorders, so it seemed like a good idea to fasten them to the bike and record a run on said motorbike.

One camera is fitted to the engine bars at low level and I thought that A good head height sequence of video from a camcorder mounted high up on the screen would be good.

Attached the screen clamp and also a tether just in case it became detached.

All set off we go, 1/2 hour later was when the problem occurred.

The clamp fell off taking the camcorder with it, the camcorder unscrewed itself from its fitting and flew though the air at shoulder height. Freddie Flintoff would have been proud of my catch, not bad seeing I was travelling at 60mph.

The moral of the tale? Things do not always go according to plan.

A new tethered mount with a better locking mechanism is now fitted to the bike waiting for my next ride.

Wait.

What am I doing telling you good folks about my woes when the roads are dry, the sun is shining, the open road becons.......bye (he says singing to himself......get my motor running, head out on the highway)
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Dave Watterson

Re: Ooops, we had a slight problem

Post by Dave Watterson »

That could have been VERY nasty. I am glad your reflexes were so good.

Every time I see a lecture hall or public space with screens hung on chains from the ceiling, I ask myself if they really need so much fixing. I guess the answer is that they do ... just in case things do not go according to plan.

This is one aspect of the much-derided "health and safety" with which I will not argue. Make sure your cameras are firmly fixed and that you have a safety system in place too ... belt and braces.

Enjoy the new bike, Col, but be safe. We need you!