Nigel Barton

IAC General Discussions
Ken Wilson

Nigel Barton

Post by Ken Wilson »

Hi all;
It was the Burnley Film Festival on Saturday. I was shocked to see in the programme that a film entered by Southport Movie Makers which was made by Nigel Barton had the brief note attached that he was recently deceased. At the interval I spoke with a Southport member who said it was recent and sudden and a shock to the club, but he knew little else.

So yesterday I did a search on Facebook and saw that there was a posting from his brother Phil that Nigel died of a massive heart attack on January 16th.
I only know Nigel Barton quite vaguely. He send films into our Phase 4 Film competitions and I had cause to ring him up when his film "Rent-A-Mate" won the best entry at one of them. He didn`t drive and so without a lift, he couldn`t come to our premiere show. So I had to speak to him to reveal that he was in fact the overall winner. He offered to send us a video message thanking us for the award, which we showed at the end of the evening. But I told Nigel about the IAC International competition and that he should enter "Rent-A-Mate" (even though it was likely he would be competing against us.) He did enter it and it won the comedy award.

Since then, I have seen his name on several Southport films.

I cannot add any more as I didn`t know him personally and I am surprised that his club haven`t announced it unless it appears in the next FVM.
So I thouhgt that I should post something so readers of the forum will know.
Ken
Dave Watterson

Re: Nigel Barton

Post by Dave Watterson »

Thanks, Ken.

The sad news of Nigel's death appeared in the North West newsletter, Tripod.

It is - naturally - on his club's website http://southportmoviemaker.blogspot.co. ... arton.html

Rent-a-Mate got a 5-star award, Best Affiliated Club Entry (Denham Gold Cup) and the Best Humour Prize at BIAFF 2009. It represented Britain at UNICA 2009 where it was awarded a unanimous gold medal and Best Film of the Festival.

He was a very nice man and a talented film maker (the two do not always go together!)

Dave

PS Congratulations on having your film The Contract win Best Humour Award at the Burnley Festival!
Ken Wilson

Post by Ken Wilson »

Hi Dave; Thanks for that. We don`t see "Tripod" so knew nothing about it. I read the tributes on the Southport link you posted.
His latest film "Ransom" was in the Burnley programme of course which is why the message of his death appeared at the show.
Thanks for the congratulations on "The Contract." Linda and Michael Gough were the judges. They chose us for the best overall entry too which came as a real surprise.
So hope my posting has informed others who didn`t know about Nigel.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

We at Preston have been lucky to see many of his works and to know Nigel.

Talented does not do justice to his movies, which were very varied but all extremely well made.

It was only last December when we last saw him at our annual social that we hold every year with Southport, he had been missing for a while but was back full of enthusiasm to get back into making movies.

He will be missed by all who knew him

RIP Nigel
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Sorry, Ken, I did not know you got the top award at Burnley too. Well done.
---------

As they say at BAFTA and the Oscars each year, Nigel's work remains behind him to delight audiences today and in the future.