Rant of the Week !

IAC General Discussions
Bob Lorrimer

Rant of the Week !

Post by Bob Lorrimer »

Following my RANT of the WEEK, which concerns Video and Audio presentation, published in the current issue of FVM....I thought I would quote this unintentionally hilarious write- up from the current NOR'EASTER supplement Magazine:

The NECA OPEN & HOLIDAY COMPETITION 2013. (the Block Caps are mine)

"The usually popular show was a bit THIN on the ground this year. The number of entries were down as were MEMBERS of the AUDIENCE. The Projection team had a difficult job FILLING the SRCEEN (!) and the projector had a pronounced BLUE CAST. The SOUND came from VERY SMALL SPEAKERS and was almost INAUDIBLE at the BACK. (!) The DVD player played up or it wouldn't work AT ALL after the tea break. It was eventually sorted out......"

The winners are then listed

"It was disappointing for the audience and the organiser ERIC PARR that NONE of the winners were able to collect their cheques and trophies...although it must be said that as the film NO WAY BACK by Robert Lorrimer got a very BLEAK RESPONSE from the RANKLED AUDIENCE - it could be thought BEST that he was ABSENT".

The WINNERS were "THREE DAYS IN THE MASAI MARA" "HOLLINS HILL FARM July 2013" and "NO WAY BACK". (!)

OH MYYYYY!!!

I have entered films into the NECA competition for several years and I have won the Overall Prize certainly 4 times. Eric Parr must make an enormous effort to put on the Show year after year......but I cannot deny that I felt a flutter of relief that I had not made the 280 mile round trip to collect my prize after I had read the above 'write up' !
Frank Maxwell

Re: Rant of the Week !

Post by Frank Maxwell »

What a wonderful topic. "Rant of The Week". This should be followed up with "Rant of the Year".
Over the years video clubs make competion videos throughout the year in their clubs. Followed by a trophy and a photograph until next year. Many members are so happy for this to happen and it is part of the British formula.
There are many outside the club competitions held with the same formula.

What would happen if every club joined into a competition just for clubs to be held every 2 years with challenging themes e.g......silent movies....Cowboys and Indians......The 60s. etc. They have a year to make the video only one entry per club. Each entry is viewed by the clubs and scored out of 10 points.
One club is selected or volunteers to host the event every 2 years.

You may say the IAC do this and other clubs do inter-battles. But as video clubs the big and small are not united and this could be a opportunity to get back as it was with the 10 best many years ago.

This would be a mammoth task if the idea was taken up but................
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

Bob - unfortunately the write up doesn't state whether 'No Way Back' rankled the audience or if they were already rankled! :D

I am eligible to enter this competition, but this is the first time I have even heard of it! Unfortunately the rather negative aspect of the write up doesn't do anything to encourage further entries or attract new members, although I'm sure the organisers did their best to overcome the issues stated.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Frank

There is already such a competition in the North v South.

Each club submitting an entry as to abide by the chosen theme such as ...................... hot off the press

RANT
want a rant!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Are you up for a rant???????????????
Just wait until the BIAFF results are out
Then you will have some rants

:P :P
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Frank Maxwell

Post by Frank Maxwell »

Is it a IAC format. As you can see if it is then the advertising is poor. A RANT....
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

The 'North v South' competition is NOT organised by the IAC. It is run by people who happen to be IAC members and most of the participants are IAC members so it does get friendly coverage in our magazine and website.

The competition was started by a columnist connected with a commercial magazine for amateur film making, who regularly wrote about club news. It has been hosted by different clubs over the years and is always great fun.

You can find out more at http://www.n-v-s.co.uk/
Lee Prescott

Post by Lee Prescott »

:) :o :? :oops: :(

Pleaseforgive my "hignrance"!

What is NECA? - that Bob's gumshoeing about?
Maybe I could enter it next time and give 'em something to get really "Rankled" about!!!!!!

Chars: Lee.
Bob Lorrimer

Post by Bob Lorrimer »

I think NECA film and video probably stands for North East Cine Association. The Competition is run by the estimable Eric Parr...Tyne and Wear....and it is one of the few that offers a cash reward of £50 for the 'overall' winner.

I have won the 'overalls' on several occasions and as the entry list is usually 20 or under it represents far better value than a Lottery Ticket!
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

NECA = North East Cine Association and is a group of clubs in that part of England, which stage an annual competition between the clubs concerned.

It is similar to the Teign Cup, Gloucester Clubs, Midlands Chocolate Soldier, the Albany Cup and other regional competitions which restrict entry to specific clubs.