A Look At 2013

IAC General Discussions
Frank Maxwell

A Look At 2013

Post by Frank Maxwell »

As the year 2013 is closing down, one can sit back and think what a year it has been. For some it will be good and others think it could have been better.
On the media front from video to computer and all the other gremlins associate with it, it has been a bit like World War3. We are constantly bombarded with new software to make our video much better. But what they dont tell you you need the main ingredient....SCRIPT.
So what about the IAC and video clubs?. This topic has been covered so many times and we all have come to the conclusion it needs shaking up on all fronts. I think with both clubs there are to many general sitting pretty and live in the past.
I took the plunge and joined a video club out of interest and request and fell into the trap of thinking we were still in the 60s to the 80s mould when cine clubs/video clubs were the must. Today few good clubs still run and others are declining fast. Not through the lack of members but not understanding how to improve and taking risks,and the generals are happy to go along with the old trend. Many will be up in arms me making this statement.
The biggest downfall with clubs are the constant holiday video which are shown. With cine one had to edit and soundtrack them. Today include...bit of music,,,,,bit of edit....bit of title..... and no concern about time.
Do video clubs have a future????? yes they do as they play a important part to capture history in the making. Also with todays technology video clubs have a battle on their hands.
For me 2013 has been a good year with media. I have learned new software seen how a Video club runs and video talked to many global people on the internet regards video.
The best gift of all??? I got my health to write this. :D
col lamb

Re: A Look At 2013

Post by col lamb »

Frank

May you have an even better 2014

For me 2013 has been mixed, my PC has remained static in great working order and my Adobe CS 5.5 suite works a treat and as bug free as I could hope for, elsewhere Adobe have kicked all non pro users in the teeth by making Premiere only available on an expensive monthly subscription and Encore has been dropped.

My first visit to BIAFF took place this year and what an eye opener, some great, some good, some OK and one or two dire, awful movies on show. That said a great day out, just a pity I can only manage one day. Will not be there in 2014 but if it is in chesterfield in 2015 I'll be there

Clubs flounder and will continue to do so, it's not just movie clubs but all seem to struggle. I wish I knew how to get and keep new members, one thing about myself is that just to sit there on uncomfortable chairs watching one movie after another is boring, there has to be ways of getting discussion and creativity going

I'll make a prediction.......when the 2014 BIAFF results come out there will be yet another heated discussion on the grade of the movie you submitted. Just be thankful that I am not one of the judges, most would have at least one less star, at least they would based on my own analysis of the movies I saw at Chesterfield
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Col, I had the pleasure of meeting you (briefly) for the first time at BIAFF. I seem to remember that the day that you attended was the Saturday? In which case it would be difficult for you to comment on the general standard of films without seeing the Sunday shows. I do agree though that there were some which were not showing any improvement over films that were being made forty and fifty years ago. That is not all that surprising when you consider that humans have not changed much over that period! There are however some film makers trying to innovate and the modern day kit does allow them to concentrate on the art rather than the technical, a point we should all bear in mind.

As for 2014, well, I for one am quite happy with my Sony EX 1 (superseded by the PMW 200 and 300), my MacPro tower (superseded by the new MacPro), and OS Mountain Lion (superseded by Mavericks). Also my edit system Media 100 with Boris Red, Compressor, Studio Pro and Toast Titanium Pro 11. Should see me out for the type of films I make, I'll leave fixture progress to the young ones with all their fancy graphics.

Happy New Year to all readers and posters, let's be nice to one another, at least our Moderator would approve.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Hi Michael

I did watch all the "Sunday" movies as soon as they went online.

The higher graded movies were generally the better ones but even then some for me were graded higher than they should have.

Agreed about fancy graphics, and now I am an Apple convert even if it is just with my iPad mini.

Saw an add on TV of a youth constantly on his iphone during the festive family meal, it ended with him walking into the lounge and beaming his newly made movie of the family Christmas onto the TV, very moving and poignant
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Peter Copestake

Post by Peter Copestake »

I am glad Frank mentioned the value of clubs for recording 'history in the making'. As a documentary maker this is all I have ever wanted to do and it's what our club (Pendle) seems to do best, or at least mostly.
Local councillors organised a public showing of our 50 year-old film 'Nelson '62' recently and apart from the 200 who watched it live many have since bought the DVD. There is huge nostalgia for the past here. Any film is in some sense an historical document.
There was, between the wars, a sport in the north of England called Knurr & Spell and there was a revival after WWII during which time local men were 'world champions'. Well it's a small world, you know!
I have filmed footage over the last 20 years and recently put some of it together. It will not be a winner, and I'm disappointed in it myself, but even in its cut down form (18 minutes) it carries information that is now almost impossible to come by any other way and in 20 years time may have only a few relics and archive newspaper reports to show it had ever occurred.
Peter Copestake
Frank Maxwell

Post by Frank Maxwell »

Thanks Peter for pointing that topic out. Perhaps more clubs will take note, as the public with the correct advertising will support these events. But not if clubs keep on making silly stupid comedy videos where the punch line takes ages to materialise on the screen.
Going back in time down the nostalgic road. Chaplin, Buster Keaton, (Whom I met in Canada) and many of the other greats in that era. Were masters at comedy.