What is New?

IAC General Discussions
TimStannard

Re: What is New?

Post by TimStannard »

Lee Prescott wrote:The point I was trying to make is that surely Artistic Merit outweighs and comes before technology? So much time is spent on the latter and it seems to me, very little on the former. I think that is wrong.
But it is pretty inevitable. When discussing technology there are plenty of facts and figures we can bandy about. 4K has more pixels than 1080 or 2.5K. We can measure the difference in dynamic range between two cameras. We can measure how one lens has more chromatic aberration or barrelling than another. We can measure how codecs compare and can even coment in measurable terms on how one NLE performs certain tasks better than another.

But when it comes to Artistic Merit, we are talking about someting far less tangible. I've little doubt that I find artistic merit in things (not just films) in which others on this forum find none. And vice versa. I also supect that we (mainly being of an older age) are likely colletively to find less artistic merit in films made by younger folk - films which their peer group may consider contain much in the way of artistic merit.

Who are we to judge?

There does seem to be a small number of people here (and, I suspect a much larger number outside of this forum) who seem to think that if one has not cut his of her teeth on cine stock, then one cannot possibly produce anything of any artistic merit.
Lee Prescott wrote: Anyone can learn to push buttons et al even, as in my area, 90+ year olds courtesy of the local council!
Which is a "good thing". It opens up film making to those creative and artistic people whose ideas previously might have remained no more than ideas.

And let's be clear, a lot of what we criticise as "lacking in artistic merit" can also be easily learned (camera craft and composition, effective edditing, sudio recording, lighting).
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Frank Maxwell

Post by Frank Maxwell »

O.K. Lets drop the cine days and nostalgic era at the moment.
What do I really want from this forum?. Young members who belong on this forum to ask questions on video techniques and to help us with editing software.
Do any members need help with shooting a specific video.
How many members belong to the IAC and what age group they are in. Is the IAC still a world organisation?
My biggest hope is for more unknown members of this form to contribute on here. :)
I use Final Cut Pro-X and a review of what members think of this Apple software would be a starting point. Also any troubleshooting tips would help.
Mind you any software information can be obtained on YouTube. But it would be nice to hear from members young and semi-young and senior citizens who are learning or need help.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

1 O.K. Lets drop the cine days and nostalgic era at the moment.
Agreed

2 What do I really want from this forum?. Young members who belong on this forum to ask questions on video techniques and to help us with editing software.
I am unclear about what you actually are after, many of us have been here for years and have used NLE systems for up to 20 years

3 Do any members need help with shooting a specific video.
If anyone wants help we usually point them in the direction of the Movie Making Club closest to their home

4 How many members belong to the IAC and what age group they are in. Is the IAC still a world organisation?
I am unsure to the breakdown, Dave and Jan Watterson are the most likely ones who will know about this forums members. Personally I have been making movies since the early 70's and a member of the IAC for 20 years

5 My biggest hope is for more unknown members of this form to contribute on here. :)
Its a puzzle why we have lurkers, and why they do not participate, but that is not unusual with internet forums

6 I use Final Cut Pro-X and a review of what members think of this Apple software would be a starting point. Also any troubleshooting tips would help.
Generally FCP X has been almost universally panned as being in a far lower league than its earlier versions, indeed many users have dropped it and moved over to other editing software. I am a Premiere and Edius user and have not used a MAC but I have tried a friends MAC with FC Express, I was not impressed

7 Mind you any software information can be obtained on YouTube. But it would be nice to hear from members young and semi-young and senior citizens who are learning or need help.
Youtube is not the best place to search for advice, forums specific to the software are best (Adobe, Edius etc), and then there is the Creative cow website which has masses of great video tutorials, for movies made by more competent people then Vimeo is the one I usually recommend. This very forum is also excellent for discussing topics with others like minded and for getting specific advice
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Frank Maxwell

Post by Frank Maxwell »

Thanks Col, for all of that wonderful information. Sorry to hear FC Express was not very good. I could not agree with you more. Regards FCP-X I could argue with you.
After reading all your answers I will do more browsing then asking questions.
I now have a good view of how this forum works after being on here for a few months,
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

I am not a Mac user but read reports that Apple seem to have listened to the complaints and have been returning "professional level" tools to Final Cut Pro.

In theory there are 396 users of this forum. Of those 182 have never posted.

Willy Van der Linden. Ned Cordery, Mike Shaw, Tom Hardwick and I have all posted over 500 messages.

We do not keep track of the ages of people who join the forum.

So far as the IAC is concerned the AGM papers on the main website say we have "approximately 1,750 members" and I reckon that of those 244 are clubs.
We do not generally record the ages of members.

Dave (stats for fun) Watterson
Frank Maxwell

Post by Frank Maxwell »

Thank You Dave. Yes FCP-X is a much better editing software now than at the beginning. Beats working in FCP-7.
I think most people in forums are more on the problem issue of computer or software help.
I think the IAC logo and word institute could now display the wrong message this day and age of technology.
If I did not know what the IAC stood for no way would I be looking in this forum.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Frank Maxwell wrote:I think most people in forums are more on the problem issue of computer or software help.
I agree this is generally true, but there are forums where more general movie making discussions take place. Indeed there is a section here specifically for critical assessment. I'm sure it is with good intention that the section is moderated in that posts have to be approved, but this possibly hampers people posting. I'm not sure the moderation is entirely necessary. In a similar section in a forum I belong to (I'll post the link if desired, but don't want to be seen as promoting a "rival" forum) we find that people who do comment are serious film makers and genuinely helpful. I don't think I've ever seen a YouTube type comment like "this sucks" or similar. Ditto Vimeo.

Edit: For clarification I mean that in my experience Vimeo also only offers constructive comments (and not that Vimeo is like YouTube)
Last edited by TimStannard on Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Don't hesitate to post links to useful forums or other sites ... this one is a service and not jealous!
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Dave Watterson wrote:Don't hesitate to post links to useful forums or other sites ... this one is a service and not jealous!
Thanks Dave,

The site in question is http://www.videoforums.co.uk Look in the User Videos section. It's fairly low volume and the number of movies posted for "constructive criticism" and receiving such is fairly small (though larger than here). Most movies only get one or two comments, but now and then some spark off some interesting debates. As you might expect, mostly critics agree on the technical stuff, but often disagree on artistic stuff. I declare an interest as a significant contributor and a mod.
Tim
Lee Prescott

Post by Lee Prescott »

:(

So What IS New?

Dave quotes: - So far as the IAC is concerned the AGM papers on the main website say we have "approximately 1,750 members" and I reckon that of those 244 are clubs.

Dave (stats for fun) Watterson

As I recall at the time Garth took over from Liz Donlan as Editor of FVM and I was "Voluntary Advertising Manager"
IAC Membership was around 2,600 with 400 clubs affiliated.....so, considering Dave's "statistics" above
the IAC has lost 32.69% membership and 39% clubs in the interim................... Where IS it going?

Just a simple question.

LEE. :roll:
Frank Maxwell

Post by Frank Maxwell »

Lee's comment said it very nicely.
If you open your kitchen cupboard there are well established brands of goods. IAC and Video Clubs are in that category, but the volume of people supporting these brands are down. IAC float on the internet and support clubs. I don't know if the support Colleges or Media Schools. Video Clubs are not gaining members like they did. I think the technically advancement on capturing images has improved in leaps. I think the very keen person will venture into a club.
I had a wonderful experience of knowing different clubs and the changes from cine days to video days. What really has taken me by surprise the way iPad or tablets or mobile phones can take pictures and video.
There will always be room for the two above product. But both need to wake up and see and address the situation. HOW??????? by testing different methods, Market research would be the first target.