Do we live in the past?

IAC General Discussions
ned c

Do we live in the past?

Post by ned c »

A new thread to continue the comments under the "end of consumer camcorders."

Tim implied that I live in the past and my posts this will have a negative effect on "young" film makers. I don't inhabit the past but my experience is built on many years of film making and if sharing this from time to time is a deterrent then I will desist. Growing up in the era before film schools we started as amateurs or had a an uncle who worked at Pinewood. Now film schools and media studies churn out graduates with little hope of working in any branch of the industry so what becomes of them? Ideally the IAC should attract them through the BIAFF although I imagine the strain of several hundred entries may prove too much. It's interesting that outside relatively few regulars this is an under-subscribed site. I have a feeling that the IAC would rather like to disown it as the "real" sites are the NLE and General sites for members only or am I imagining this? Why do they reprint all those posts in F&VM?

Just rambling

ned c
TimStannard

Re: Do we live in the past?

Post by TimStannard »

Good post, Ned, and worth exploring further.

I'd just like to clarify that I am not accusing you of living in the past nor did I mean to infer it so my apologies if I did so (indeed I get the impression you are one of the more forward thinking people here). I was deliberately careful in my choice of words hence "when these opinions are expressed in such terms" and "give the impression that ...".

To expand on my response to Roy in the other thread, I believe this is an ideal forum for lively discussion in the "old school/equipment/years of experience" vs "new school" debate, but until we get some strong advocates of "new school" here arguing their case, we are indeed in danger of coming across as living in the past.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Ned

Far from being the "real" sites, the e-mail NLE & General are now a complete waste of time and should be dropped in favour of users posting on this forum.

I have ceased to be a member of both after repeadedly only getting part of the thread, often with the initial e-mail and subsequenty replies not being received by myself, nor are they in my spam folder or in the server my e-mail accesses.

With the number of posts being very, very small, its now not worth the effort.

Its not just the IAC that has issues, take the DV Doctor website, please someone take it, it is another that has nothing at all to offer anyone apart from one particular idiot repeatedly posting requests for help and then ignoring the advice only to post a similar request for help a few weeks later. DV Doctor also has very little traffic.

I live in Preston and we have the University of Central Lancashire in the City, it has Media Degree courses and from time to time we do get students joining us but they never last long, just long enough to use our expertise for their own ends then they dissapear, never to offer thanks and never to return. By the way DSLR's are the norm now with the students who have visited the club.

What is the new school anyway?

If its shaky footage, blurred video, pulled focus, then this is now rife especially with the BBC and has been a mainstay with many Youtube videos. If it detracts the user from enjoyment or from absorbing information then it sucks, if it enhances the pllot the so be it.

A movie called Cloverfield is on the box tonight, if you have not seen it then do have a look, handheld point of view footage in a very well crafted movie.
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
ned c

Post by ned c »

Tim; thanks for getting my brain cells up and running.

Broadening the IAC membership has been a topic of discussion here and elsewhere and I assume the Council are reviewing the possibilities. May I make a strong plea for a Student section in the BIAFF with a mix of judges drawn from academia and the IAC? Plus some worthwhile awards to students; e.g. tuition fees. OK more money in hard times but with an incentive of IAC membership for film schools; reduced entry fees to students it may lead to a much more diverse membership.

Keeping up to date in the world of film making at any level is a challenge; I try to get to one trade show (usually NAB in Las Vegas) and one seminar a year plus the Philip Bloom and Lennie Dennie websites. Many years ago I learnt much at the IAC weekends first on editing film and later the NLE sessions. The Internet has moved much information to our computers but there is still a need for some face to face contact. What about a session on the latest technology at BIAFF? I really will try and come over for next year's BIAFF.

ned c