IAC FORUM

IAC General Discussions
Frank Maxwell

IAC FORUM

Post by Frank Maxwell »

Having joined this forum for a few months, I have a question? Who is this forum for? and why do we have very few posts from other members?
The pattern seems to be that the same few keep answering and posting new material.
Michael Slowe

Re: IAC FORUM

Post by Michael Slowe »

The forum is mainly for members of the IAC enabling them to keep in touch with fellow members and (more importantly in my opinion), to discuss and share opinions on topics of specific interest to film makers. The forum also serves as a store of knowledge that a subscriber has access to, there are very few questions that can't be answered by someone out there listening.

The answer to your second question is not so easy to provide. The membership of the IAC is surprisingly passive in their attitude to film making, contrary to what one might expect. They tend to 'view' rather than 'do', consequently they may feel that they don't have much to contribute to a forum such as this. This is unfortunate and many efforts have been made to widen the participation of members. There are readers from outside the IAC membership I believe, but I'm not sure whether they have full access, no doubt our esteemed leader (a vey large and genial Scotsman), will enlighten us.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Hi Frank,

The forum is simply a chance for anybody who is interested in amateur or non-commercial filming to discuss any related topic.
There are five sections:
  • Advice on Films
    Club and General Issues
    Equipment and Technical Issues
    Competitions, Festivals and the Art of Film
    Help and Advice for Newcomers
The first one is strictly moderated - that is every post has to be approved before it appears. That allows people to put up a film and receive thoughtful, helpful comments ... compare that with YouTube where some people delight in adding rude, unhelpful remarks. Its main function is for film makers without a suitable club near them. The others are open to all.

We have many "lurkers" - that is people who read the posts without ever writing anything. That may be because they are shy, or want to avoid possible confrontation. The biggest disappointment is that IAC Council members have an agreement among themselves not to respond to issues. They want to avoid confrontation and endless exchanges (understandable) but appear to have forgotten that they serve the membership and that their decisions are not always well explained through other means.

When an issue of concern comes along - and it seems to happen at least once a year - we get a flurry of posts.

So it is best regarded as a service available for people when they want it.

Oh - and since it is an open forum, it can help non-members to stumble upon the world of the IAC and perhaps get interested enough to join.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Dave

You have lit the blue touchpaper!!!!!

The Council members not responding........what planet are these people on?

The IAC is a failing organization which desperately needs new blood and ideas yet the very people who run it grossly fail the membership by doing nothing to elicit debate and response.

We had the one post by Ivor and that is it.

So come on you guys get off the shelf and participate

Col
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Indeed they should dive in. Like many of you I belong to a local forum (matters about my town) which can get very heated from time to time - we can get party political, but if you really want a fight mention badgers, foxes or immigrants. One or two local councillors dipped their toes in the water and I'm now delighted to say we count at least half a dozen as posters with three being very frequent posters. Yes, the anonymous moaners can have a go, but they tend to either be shouted down or simply ignored by those who want to get on and debate. The councillors who have taken it on board find it a very useful tool for getting a feel for what some of the people they represent feel about issues (although no substitute for meeting in person) and gives them a chance to elaborate on decisions where we've only heard the headlines.

It also gives them an opportunity to just be human - a member of the community rather than a community representitive.

Whadddya think Council members? "Come on in,if you think you're hard enough" :lol:
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
ned c

Post by ned c »

There are lots of forums and sites devoted to all aspects of film making for the professional/wannabe professional. This is the only one I am aware of that is devoted to the amateur/n-c film maker. There is the problem of awareness of both this forum and the world of amateur film making; as far as I know neither the International organisations nor the IAC make a real attempt at promotion to a wider audience. Given the number of devices capturing motion pictures I am surprised how few want something more than to be insulted on YouTube.

Surely a responsibility of the management of any organisation is to be responsive to the needs/expectations of the membership and avoiding discussion on the grounds of avoiding conflict is a hallmark of disrespect. If the Council wish to speak with a unified voice than they should agree a spokesperson who regularly represents them on the forum.

In my view the IAC has the potential to be an important voice for the n-c film maker as it has been in the past; vide the Copyright licence.

OK Frank; why are you here and what are you looking for? Do you have suggestions on how to expand our horizons?

ned c
Frank Maxwell

Post by Frank Maxwell »

Over to me i guess. I joined the IAC in the 60s as it was the only platform for getting ones cine films show on a big venue once a year and getting copy right material. Plus the IAC was a strong organisation for the amateur movement at that time. Today with so many outlet for showing ones work the IAC has become a bit like the Post Office. Still delivering but the internet is faster.
If it was not for video clubs who would know what the IAC stood for today and what can they offer besides wedding video makers using the symbol as a member.
I found this forum by accident.
How about the IAC holding a yearly festival for non-amateur video and calling it the 10 best in England?
One might say they do that but after the cine era all that disappeared.
So my question is? What does the IAC stand for in this day and age for people in the amateur status?
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

It is a problem all similar federations around the world seem to be facing ... when making films was more technically difficult they were helpful. Now that so much is automated and kit can be relatively cheap the role of such organisations ... and of club ... is less clear.

By the way: IAC forbids the use of its diamond symbol and the honorary letters like FACI, LACI and so on in connection with commercial work like wedding videography. (!)

Occasionally there are suggestions that we should have a British national amateur film competition. (Our event, BIAFF, has always been an international one.)
Problems:
1) running a festival takes a lot of time, energy and has a risk of losing a lot of money
2) sorting out amateurs from semi-professional, film-school students etc is difficult
3) what would the standard be like?

BUT

People still want some social contact, some sense of "we are not alone." When new technology appears they want to know what relevance it has to their way of working. Most film makers know that their work benefits from friendly comment and criticism.
Frank Maxwell

Post by Frank Maxwell »

One could have an annual festival regards amateur. All videos must be from video clubs and an entry fee should cover the cost.
When the 10 Best Film Festival was around that was the normal procedure.
I feel one could keep on with this topic and there is no magic solution. But we have a forum and it is up to the people who are watchers to this forum to contribute besides the normal brigade who anticipate day in and day out. Without them this forum would not be here I guess?
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Frank, since I was the first to reply to your initial post I'm returning to the thread.

There is already annual festival for 'amateur' films, called BIAFF as Dave mentions. It doesn't get quite the range of entries that the old Ten Best used to get, mainly I fear because of the dreaded word 'amateur'. The Ten Best was promoted by a commercial organisation, The Fountain Press, publishers of the magazine Movie Maker. They were so successful that we had the award winners not only on television but shown at the National Film Theatre. Entries were encouraged from budding professionals and film schools, contrary to (I believe), the IAC who mount BIAFF. If the entry conditions were widened I think that not only would BIAFF enjoy a higher public profile but would display a higher standard of entries.
Frank Maxwell

Post by Frank Maxwell »

Hi Michael, Yes we remember the 10 best as me and Robbie Burns put our films in many years ago and won a Eumig Projector.
The word Amateur and professional always jarred with me. Too me it means one gets paid and people pay to see their work and the other is for love and free viewing.
I think every Video Club should be informed that there is a film festival under the IAC banner and perhaps things could improve.
I thank all those people who have contributed to this thread and i now have a better understanding.
Lee Prescott

Post by Lee Prescott »

:roll: Hi Frank, Dave, Michael, Col. Tim, Ned and all,

Yeah It's "ME"! (Apart from the autonomous SoCo News this is the only place the """IAC""" seemingly allows me outa the woodwork")! ..........Thanks Dave and Jan:

WOW Bros! Your responses to Frank's original Post are all soooo Spot On!

You guys should all BE the IAC National Council. Why? 'cos the manner in which it currently "Exists" is kerazy! It is an organisation within and organisation and moves heaven and earth and for me, not in "mysterious ways it's wonders NOT
to perform", to protect that position! Members can read this Forum, (who's to stop 'em)? - But contribute, oh dear no and certainly NOT without express permission. Members of "Council" are treated like members of a Court Jury going home for the day from a trial! i.e. Shut it (<O>) and keep it shut!

They're terrified of their own shadows and THAT folks is you and me and the membership.

IAC is currently 81 years old and wallows in the past so its future is virtually non existent. My first contact with the IAC was back in 1960 and little if anything has changed due, I suggest, to the "historical handing down" on every subject. It is a form of "inbreeding" and look where it's getting or got the IAC! Oh yeah, proud of its past but clueless as to the constantly changing and updating future!

So this Forum is of paramount importance. I do know that many unregistered people world wide read it out of interest but
do not contribute 'cos, as they see it, they're not IAC members! (My address list from the late lamented "Cotswold International Film Festival").

"Time For A Change as Dave writes in the current FVM -- well I have responded to that BUT I doubt if my piece will get past the "censors"!!! No, don't laugh please! I'll say nothing further, (at this time), except: Dave and Jan,
do not let 'em browbeat you - retain your "independent franchise"!

Best wishes to all......LEE. 8)
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Lee

Thanks for the kind words

Don't change, keep posting, however contentious
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb