WILLY VAN DER LINDEN has been very ill

IAC General Discussions
Mike Shaw

Re: WILLY VAN DER LINDEN has been very ill

Post by Mike Shaw »

Thanks for the feedback Dave. It is indeed good news that they have now identified the problems and have set the treatment in motion.

Willy is an inspiration to us all - and not just for his superb film making.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Dave Watterson wrote: Despite all this, he is confident that he can complete his new film in time for BIAFF and is making plans to come to BIAFF with Vera and several club mates if he can do so.
His optimism and dedication is an inspiration to us all.
Fingers crossed for Willy.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Just had another call from Willy ... after a couple of weeks of exhaustive and exhausting investigations in hospital, all the most horrible possibilities have been ruled out. The main issue is an extreme from of rheumatoid arthritis. He is back on steroids but for a short period on lower doses and feels much better.

He needs a cataract operation but has postponed that until after Christmas. When that has been done he should be able to read emails, letters and newspapers again.

His spirits are up and he is even starting to think that his presents movies may not be his last ones.
Lee Prescott

Post by Lee Prescott »

Hi Dave 'n all,

Hi Willy:

I'd decided to post a couple of days ago but for no apparent reason the site keeps rejecting me or my password then suddenly, as now, I'm in ---- hooray!

I wanted to say that the news about Willy, now clearer, is good knowing the problem helps with the battle I guess.

Anyway Willy - from myself and my colleagues here in The Cotswolds ----- I / We sincerely hope everything works out for you and that in hospital or not, that you, Vera and your family and colleagues, all enjoy a good Christmas and that the New Year will be far far better for you.

Sincerely....LEE.

P.S. Hope Dave that if Willy is still not reading e-mails etc. you'll be kind enough to pass this on.
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

WILLY. BEST WISHES FOR AS SPEEDY RECOVERY. I ONLY MET YOU ONCE AT MY HOUSE BUT ENJOYED YOUR COMPANY
ROY ALEXANDER-WILLOW COURT STUDIOS.
Willy

Post by Willy »

Hello my friends. Here I am again after so many months.

I am not going to tell you the whole story again. I am very grateful to Dave Waterson for telling you what has happened and I thank you very much for your very kind words. They were heartwarming.

Sometimes I even thought that the end was near. In the beginning I was not even able to think as I lapsed into a coma for one week. I can only remember the voice of my wife and my daughter who told me that they were with me. Strange, isn't it? There was water in my lungs and I could not breath anymore. Some months later I was taken to hospital again. A "hospital bacterium" was the first diagnosis. They took a sample of my backbone and I had to "glide" through all sorts of tunnels. But the scans of my limbs, of my brains and other things didn't show any pernicious things. So now I still suffer from a lung disease (sarcoïdose), from diabetes, and from rheumatoid arthritis which is very painful.

The worst thing that I remember: one evening a nurse had tied up my legs! She feared that I would jump out of my bed. The following day I wanted to escape. I had pulled out all the things. My bed was full of blood. They called my wife Vera. She had to stay with me at the hospital until dawn. Hallucinations! Such things often happen at the hospital a doctor told me some days later.

2013 was an "annus horriblilis" and I hope that 2014 will be a positive turning point. When I stayed at home I could work on my film for BIAFF 2014. That was very positive. It was the only thing I could do as I also suffered from cataract. I was not able to see the traffic when I was in the street. Now I know what it means : being a wheelchair patient. Walking is still difficult but there is some progress. And after 6 months my left upper arm can move again for about 60 percent. Two days after the eye-operation I can read my newspapers, my magazines and my computer again. That's quite a relief!

Many thanks again, my friends See you soon.
I love the IAC more than ever before.
Willy
Willy Van der Linden
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

Wow Willy! That sounds like a horrendous journey. It's really good to know you're now back getting into the swing of things again - hopefully full recovery to 5 mile jogs etc will be quick and smooth (and painless)!!

Looking forward to meeting up again at a festival somewhere - and seeing more of your superb films.

Best wishes!!!
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Hurrah! Willy is back in person.

I know that an operation to help his eyesight should take place soon, so that will be even better. In the meantime I am making my messages in this thread in large type so that he can read them more easily.

From his message, you can get a flavour of our phone calls. He would tell me the most frightening events, but still with his humour close at hand. He is a survivor, someone whose willpower will get him through all of these problems.

Willy: we hope it will be possible for you to come to BIAFF - even if you have a moonface. But we do not wish you to put yourself at any risk. You are much too important to us.

col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Great to have you back.

Best wishes for a full recovery.
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Ian Woodward

Post by Ian Woodward »

Good on you, Willy!
john ingham

Post by john ingham »

Best wishes to you willy
Keep trying, for one day you will get it right
Lee Prescott

Post by Lee Prescott »

'Lo Willy,.....

I've deliberately left the "hell" off 'cos I think you've had enough of that!

Truly glad that you're back amongst us and I sincerely hope that your ongoing treatment will be hugely successful and that this year, 2014 and onwards, will prove to be a good and far better one for you, your wife and family.

Great films, great memories Willy - keep 'em rolling.

Best wishes, Very sincerely,

LEE. :)
Bob Lorrimer

Post by Bob Lorrimer »

WILLY,

Great to hear that you are on the road to recovery, take your time.......YOU will soon be back at the TOP of your Game.

My very best wishes to you both

Bob
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Sadly Willy will not, after all, be coming to BIAFF - though he is feeling very much better now. He plans to come to BIAFF 2015 ...

I could only respond that we will miss him a great deal, but that health must have first priority.