HOW TO QUIT FILM MAKING

IAC General Discussions
Dave Watterson

HOW TO QUIT FILM MAKING

Post by Dave Watterson »

Jan and I just got back from Regensburg, where we helped to celebrate the end of a very successful film making career.

Oskar Siebert has been making films for 40 years or so, but health problems have made it harder for him to hold cameras ... and so having hummed and hawed for a few years he finally decided to make a formal retirement from amateur movie making.

You may recall some of his films which were successful in the British Isles: Mother, A Prague Romance, Danke, The Key, The Golden Knight and as late as BIAFF 2011 Seoul - Asia's Pearl. So he could have simply screened a collection of his greatest hits for club members and friends.

But though he has always sought success, Oskar really values more the friends and contacts he has made in many other countries around the world. He and his daughter, Daniella, have visited many festivals including the Guernsey Lily. So he chose a different kind of retirement party.

He organised a short film festival by inviting people in the countries where his films had had success to send up to 15 minutes of film programme. Over 40 films were received from Australia, Austria, Bulgaria, Canada, Czech Republic, England, Estonia, Guernsey, Italy, Korea, Macedonia, Malta, Norway, Russia, Scotland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Switzerland and the USA.

Financial support proved hard to come by especially when some earmarked funds were withdrawn to help deal with clearing up after the June floods. As a result a 3-day event was compressed into one-and-a-half days. Visitors attended from Germany, Czech Republic, Norway, Malta and UK.

It all worked very well with a happy atmosphere, people getting together in pavement cafes in the breaks and chattering in a mix of languages, smiles and gestures. Obviously towards the end Oskar found it hard to keep a dry eye. But overall it made a sad/negative occasion into a positive and happy one.

Now I am not suggesting any of us on the forum are about to give up the hobby of film making, but if you were to do so ... how would you like to mark the occasion?
Michael Slowe

Re: HOW TO QUIT FILM MAKING

Post by Michael Slowe »

Well Dave, you've hit a raw nerve! At the age of 78 I often wonder how long I can keep on film making. On location, carrying camera bag with camera, batteries, cables, microphones, tripod etc etc I do find it hard. My sort of shooting does require concentration, mobility (sometimes even agility), endurance and much more, things we took for granted years ago.

So, to address your question, how to give up? With great difficulty I imagine, but when one's films are no longer of a decent standard might be the time. Oscar's idea of a festival seems wonderful, but of course, people have to be willing to attend! Something, maybe in an art cinema, might be an idea speaking personally, but also publishing a programme on disc might also work, always providing people want to see the films, but then they have a choice! I well remember Oscar from my old Ten Best days in the 70's, seems like yesterday to me. There were other great names that seem to have disappeared from that era, but today a few still producing. Willy Van der Linden and Michael Gough spring to mind, and, of course, the great Sheila Graber, who is due to address the AGM meeting I read in our splendid magazine.

I'm just cutting my latest documentary but I hope it's not my last just yet.
Frank Maxwell

Post by Frank Maxwell »

In honesty if you come from the old brigade film making is hard. Today it is all different and as a old timer carrying filming equipment is a breeze. One camcorder and two good pair of hands and a good pair of glasses.
The past was fun the present is just mind boggling but exciting.
Too give up would be hard and to encourage younger generation is hard work to take this hobby up.
As long as i got my health i'm in the rank of many amateur film and video makers to keep going.
Willy

Post by Willy »

Some weeks ago I was in England to make my new film "The Sparkle and the Splendour", a documentary about a silversmith whose husband called Michael made jewellery for celebrities like Rowan Atkinson, Judie Dench, Lady Di etc... It was quite a adventure.

When I arrived at Calais my wife had to pull me out of the car. The back ache was terrible. Probably a disc had moved in the vertebral column. Hopefully I have written it in the right way in English. It was difficult to go to the upper deck of the ferry. We stopped in Leeds Village. The lady of the B&B was very kind. She gave me some painkillers. Her husband had similar problems some time ago. Some days later I went to my friend Brian who lives in the Far West, in Okehampton (Devon). He took me to the Okehampton Medical Centre. I showed Doctor Jamie Hamilton all the pills and tablets I have to take every day and told him that I suffer from diabetes (insuline twice a day and three times a tablet). The doctor gave me some more painkillers and hoped that I could film all the things I had planned.

I could, but ... I had to climb Saint Michael on the Rock. Luckily I had some 'sherpa's' with me who carried my tripods, my lights and my camera. I was out of breath on the top of Saint Michael's. 20 years ago I suffered from sarcoidosis just like King Willem-Alexander of Holland. I lost 30 percent of my lung capacity. Each time when I film I must try to control my breath. One scene was at Bude, on a Cornish beach. I was lying on my stomach. I filmed my actress. The water was rising and rising. Margaret was already standing with her feet in the water and I could not stand up anymore. Luckily my wife saved my life. She pulled me up together with my friends Brian and Cynth.

Now I am back home. I am happy with the shots that I have taken, but I have the feeling that my diseases (in particular arthritis) have affected my filming. Now I think:I should have done this.... I should have done that.... things that I had planned but at the crucial moment I felt too weak to do these things. Maybe it is wise to go back to the Far West next year to film the things that I might have missed, but .... now I have already enough rushes to do some editing in the winter months. I also have my second film... and why not skipping one BIAFF?

I have seen your name so many times. Your films were very successful.
When I came back home my house doctor asked me to go the physiotherapist three times a week. The cortisone has given me a moonface but it has also weakened my muscles and tendons. Time to quit filmmaking? Not yet. And how? The end will be the end.

Anyway I understand Oskar Siebert. He is a monument in the amateur film world. Congratulations, Oskar!
Willy Van der Linden
Peter Copestake

Post by Peter Copestake »

I hesitate to come in on this but as I have the age problem but not, thank goodness the medical ones, (I'm so sorry to hear of yours, Willy, and hope you soon get some better relief) I'd just like to say that, although we probably all started as camerapersons, 'making' a film includes editing, and as I wind down I hope to be able to help my club in this way. We have film and video going back 50 years and this may be my next-but-one project.
As competitions are now for the general audience and this will have only local appeal you will probably never see it but I hope 'Posterity' will be able to and in another fifty or 100 years it may have more general appeal.
Peter Copestake
Lee Prescott

Post by Lee Prescott »

:) Hi All and especially Oskar if seeing this:-

Sorry to learn that you Oskar are "packing it in" now after a very successful and long run.

For myself, seemingly a few short years older than Oskar, I've given it a bit of thought but decided NOT to give up but to slow down a little - as long as I can get the "porterage" to hump the tripod and some of the bits and pieces for me - Golf Caddy fashion - I aim to carry on "God willing"!!!

Fortunately I only have a "twinge" in my left shoulder thus far, so since it's only my right shoulder I need to use from time to time, tripod apart, I intend to continue albeit to a lesser extent.

So all the very best to you Oscar - your films are all very well remembered here through the past Cotswold International Film and Video Festival.

Best wishes to you and Daniella and much happiness continue to come your way.

Kindest regards....LEE.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Thanks, Lee. I have passed on your message to Oskar in my "strange" German!

I have passed on diplomas and medals to the people from the British Isles who took part in the festival:

Brian Saberton & Pat Mahon (aka XDL Club) from Scotland, Bob Lorrimer and Phil Martin from England, Peter & Mary Rouillard from Guernsey. Naturally they all sent thanks and best wishes which I have also passed on.

Dave
Lee Prescott

Post by Lee Prescott »

:P Hi Dave,

Thanks very much re your posting and for fwdng on my comments to Oskar and Daniella.

Reading Michael's, Willy's and Company's postings - seems to me we're all "get'n" a bit thin on the ground now. Never mind, when film making reaches the cubic point of holograms, (3D. will be "old hat"), no doubt we'll all be filming on the other side of the "great divide"!

8) Cheers....LEE.