Amazing sound!

IAC General Discussions
Chrisbitz

Amazing sound!

Post by Chrisbitz »

I was watching this video today, and I was generally impressed by the quality of the sound.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYkZkYiKBj8[/youtube]

...Especially with the mic so far away from them - I'd expect lots of room echo from that position, and would have expected that quality of sound to come from nothing further away than a decent tieclip mic!

is that a zoom something or other they're using?
I like to make films, this is- my Youtube account. What's yours?

"all of the above is nothing more than nonsensical ramblings, and definately should NOT be misconstrued as anyone's official policy"
john ingham

Re: Amazing sound!

Post by john ingham »

Hi Chris,
I have been looking at the Roland RC26, the sound quality is amazing,some say its better than the zoom,
A friend of mine did a great test ..i will try to find it tonight, and post it on here..also still on topic..one of our local film makers just used kick starter and has broken his target of £5K
Keep trying, for one day you will get it right
TimStannard

Re: Amazing sound!

Post by TimStannard »

Certainly looks like a Zoom H4n to me. I agree with you thet the mics are doing a particularly good job. It almost sounds too dead - unnatural for the camera position. To my mind a bit or room noise & reverb could be added to the sound. It is also clear how directional those mics pickup patterns are. As the guy holding the mic turns away, there is quite a noticable drop in volume/change in characteristics. It also sounds like the audio has been mixed hard left and hard right whih adds to the unnaturalness of the sound - from the camera position the sounds of the talents voices should be panned only slightly left and right.

None of this is, of course, is a fault of the Zoom - all it does is highlight what a very good job the zoom does.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it