IAC-FORUM- IN HOUSE COMP

IAC General Discussions
john ingham

IAC-FORUM- IN HOUSE COMP

Post by john ingham »

Ok ! Here we go....lets see how this kicks off..I hope as many of you as possible will join in... I know many of you will have club projects and personal projects..as i do myself
but I think it would be great if we had our own little fun in house comp..... now if this takes off..we could have 4 a year....but lets not run before we start walking

the AIM...... we have until the end of April to do this one....

You can work on your own or with someone... your Film.or AV or animation ... can be as short or as long as you want.. but !!!! it must be on topic...

The Topic.... A special moment between Grandad or grandmother and grandchild..it could be a fishing trip or in the kitchen making a cake.. a football match...or even washing the car..you get the idea (the actors do not need to be related in real life) it could even be a grandad talking to a pram....

Once your Film or AV is done..keep it on either Youtube or Vimeo ....and then i will ask you to submit it to the dedicated thread on here.... i really hope most of you will join in..any questions..just ask..come on folk..lets see what we can do

john

ps..add your name if you are going to get involved...
Keep trying, for one day you will get it right
Mike Shaw

Re: IAC-FORUM- IN HOUSE COMP

Post by Mike Shaw »

Remind me - do you belong to a movie making Club John?
Chrisbitz

Post by Chrisbitz »

So I need a particularly old person, and a particularly young person for this film?
You certainly believe in limiting the potential entrance candidates, don't you? :-)

I'd suggest making it as open and vague as possible, in the vain hope that you get swamped by entrants. And then deal with the problem in the unlikely event that you do. :-)
I like to make films, this is- my Youtube account. What's yours?

"all of the above is nothing more than nonsensical ramblings, and definately should NOT be misconstrued as anyone's official policy"
john ingham

Post by john ingham »

No club or Organisation Mike..just me, my camera , and my gear...i do meet up with the shooters group to talk projects and have a pint, and a lot of them do like to get involved with others projects

Chris ! :lol: I didn't say it was going to be an easy comp :D but ! think outside the box... the grandchild could be represented by a pram where the grand parent is reading a story or telling tales of years gone by

it could be a grandchild talking to a photograph of nanny or grandad... and lets not forget a grandparent could be 40 years old these days ....(please don't say thats old) :lol:

I really hope as many of you do enter ....we can all have fun with this...there will be no need for judging comments but we will all vote for the winning film/AV

this is a great time to participate on a forum project ... we all talk on here about what is going on in clubs or there and everywhere ..but never Here (this forum)
it will be easy to sit back and not take part...but just think how good it will be to get involved and do what we all love doing.....there will be no looser's we will all gain something

john
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

It is an interesting challenge, but the point behind my question was that anyone in a club (as I believe the majority of the somewhat limited number of people on this forum are ) will already be faced with making films for their own club's competitions and theme nights. Hence, you may be a little disappointed in the response level - particularly, as Chris has pointed out - by focusing the subject matter so sharply.

The North V South competition for example has far more generic competition themes (like "No way back", "Tension" or, the next one - "Revolutions") - and the number of entries for that, bearing in mind it is ALL the clubs up North competing with ALL the clubs down South, are surprisingly few.

I didn't want you to be disappointed and disillusioned by the response ... I for one have so much on my plate at the moment that, even though I could drum up the 'actors' at a moment's notice, I won't have the time to add another movie to the list ... I'm not going to be able to make all those I'd like to make this year (and have already semi-scripted) as it is, unfortunately. :(
Chrisbitz

Post by Chrisbitz »

Yeah.....umm.... That's not really what film-makers need - a difficult competition! :-)

At OVFM we have enough trouble getting people to enter competitions, without making them difficult. That's what I was trying to hint at.

The bottom line is that you want entrants. And it's not like film-makers are sitting at home thinking, "I'd love to make a film, but I can't think what to make" - We already have ideas, but just temporarily lack resources or manpower to make them. The club gets one call a month from an local stamp collecting or something club with "a wonderful opportunity for you to film our next event" as if we're stuck for things to film! :-)

If you want entrants, then have a vague theme, like "Water" or "Outside" and that way people are more likely to have an idea that they can craft to fit your theme.

All merely my opinion - it's completely your baby! :-)
I like to make films, this is- my Youtube account. What's yours?

"all of the above is nothing more than nonsensical ramblings, and definately should NOT be misconstrued as anyone's official policy"
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

I'm afraid I won't be joining in for exactly the same reasons as Mike and for that reason I don't join in comps on other forums either - so many films to make, so little time.

However the question of the challenge of a narrow theme is an interesting one.

There are two sorts of people*** - those who like the challenge of a blank canvas and those who like the challenge of having to create something within very clearly defined parameters - the more restrictive, the better. Chris and Mike presumably fall into the former category and make the mistake of assuming that everyone is like that: thay they are more likely to come up with something if they are given a fairly broad theme. Well, I'm in the opposite camp. Give me something like "Water" and I find the prospect daunting - there are just so many possibilities and so i'll struggle to come up with anything (like an artist who can't get started looking at a blank canvas). Give me something like "Friday afternoon, 2:15pm" and my mind immediately goes into overdrive, playing with various ideas.

Having played around with our one-minute and four-minute competitions at Staines, sometimes themed, sometimes not, we have found that how tightly themed (or not) a competition is has no measurable effecit of the number of entries received.

*** I've just realised what a ridiculous statement that is - obviously there are millions of "sorts" of people, but you know what i mean.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
john ingham

Post by john ingham »

totally understand guys ...

are there any forum members who do not belong to a club interested ? ... i take no offence at NO

i am more than willing to run a comp for those who who don't have the opportunities like club members ...its up to you guys

john
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

Tim ...
*** I've just realised what a ridiculous statement that is - obviously there are millions of "sorts" of people, but you know what i mean.
Actually Tim, there are 10 sorts of people....

Those who understand Binary.

And those who don't.

I don't mind tight or loose themes - probably, like you, faring better with the tighter theme as it focuses the mind more: 'loose themes' during my career were a definite no-no and highly groan-worthy - give us the USP (unique selling point), and we'll create a hard-selling product-shifting ad campaign... say it's an 'us too' product (we make the same as they make) ... and we'll probably come up with something that simply sells the genre :) (Mind you, yonks ago when I worked on Raleigh Bicycles - that's exactly what they wanted - "Sell cycling, not Raleigh - we have 95% of the market, and aren't looking to increase it. Sell bikes and you sell us!" Interesting!)

John - I wish you luck: the alternative is for you to join a club (if one is local enough) ... and be inundated with competitions and themed films. Hopefully there are enough non-club members here to generate at least a few films - and I for one would like to book my seat here and now to see them...
john ingham

Post by john ingham »

Thanks Mike,

to be honest Mike, i don't think i am club material.... thats why i enjoy the shooters meets... its very easy going..no club politics .. just a load of people wanting to make films

I can understand why many like the club route ... and i would imagine its easier to obtain things like props, actors and so on ...

lets see if we get any response..if not, well nothing lost nothing gained

I will still knock up a short film .ive seen it in my head now :lol:
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Mike Shaw wrote: Actually Tim, there are 10 sorts of people....

Those who understand Binary.

And those who don't.
Groan! If I've heard that once, I've heard it 1024 times.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

:oops:

Sorry.

That's another drink I owe at BIAFF ... :roll: