a quick question...

IAC General Discussions
john ingham

a quick question...

Post by john ingham »

when you make your film..... in which format do you give your films to lets say a film show..would you burn it to Disc or SD card or what?
something i've never thought about until now or do you upload to vimeo/YT and give them the link ? sorry for sounding thick :lol: but i have no idea
Keep trying, for one day you will get it right
tom hardwick

Re: a quick question...

Post by tom hardwick »

I always ask the client. Films submitted to BIAFF can be on anything as long as you include a DVD, and this surely tells us something. The ubiquitous DVD is cheap, reliable, easy to post, easy to lable, and can be played by anyone anywhere, in the player under the telly, on their laptop, in the car, on the portable, in Australia and so on. Vimeo and YT require internet access with a decent turn of broadband speed, especially if you want it shown full screen and in hi-er-def.

SDHC cards are too expensive to 'give away' just yet. Their 50p/gb is exactly 10 times the cost of the 5p/GB DVD-R, so the ancient spinning disc still has life in it yet. But maybe not if you've just spent many hundreds on a new disc-less MacBook Pro.

tom.
john ingham

Post by john ingham »

Thanks tom
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

John

It all depends upon who, what and where

Generally a shiny disc is the way to send a movie into a competion like our own BIAFF etc

Do take note that there are special requirements like no motion menus, a leader before the movie starts

If sending to the USA then some difficulties may exist when playing back PAL, its seems some players can and some cannot

I would join Vimeo, its free and you can upload a certain amount of HD material in a given time period

720p format tends to give the best playback for most viewers, also you can enable the movie to be downloaded so say a relative or friend hundreds or thousands of miles away can see and aquire the movie in minutes.

For presentations or showing my movies at my club I have a media player and use a memory stick with the movies in MP4 format, but I also take along backup Blurays and DVD's. The media player by the way is a £30 Raspberry PI with OpenElec operating system, its small (same size as an iPhone except 2x as thick), its real cheap and works a treat

If you are not sure about how to make a file of your movie then check out my tutorials on Vimeo that I have mentioned before they also show how to make a file for uploading to Vimeo and Youtube
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
john ingham

Post by john ingham »

Hi Col

I already belong to Vimeo and do subscribe to the Vimeo Plus.... as my camera don't know what a kb is :lol: it only makes mb's (i know i can compress) :lol:

i can understand they like a DVD ... it makes sense...

thanks mate
ned c

Post by ned c »

John you may consider signing up with www.withoutabox,com the central website for the majority of festivals and contests in the world. It is free and every day you will receive information on upcoming festivals and details of how to enter, costs and the required format. The Festival I have been associated with here; DOCUTAH; is a documentary only festival run by the local college and open to anyone; Michael Slowe had a well received entry a year or so back. We receive about 500 entries and screen about 150.

Most of my films go on to DVD and I do have a Blu-Ray writer and make BD discs for those with players. You can also make AVCHD discs which are HD and can be written to regular DVDs up to a run time of about 20 minutes. Blu-Ray players will usually play them.

Unlike Europe where most players will play both PAL and NTSC here the well known makes of players will not play PAL. I have found that the cheapest players with unknown names are often capable of playing PAL; I have two I paid about $30 each for; a Trent and a Cyberhome.

ned c
john ingham

Post by john ingham »

Thanks Ned..good one buddy
daveswan

Post by daveswan »

I usually burn DVDs and the occasional Blu-Ray, though our BD player will also eccept USB sticks.

I have done the occasional HD file for upload though.
john ingham

Post by john ingham »

Thanks Daveswan,,

must confess on knowing very little about blu ray