Attracting New Members

IAC General Discussions
ned c

Re: Attracting New Members

Post by ned c »

I promise this will be my last post on this subject. Thanks Mike for the vigorous and stimulating exchange and thanks to Ivor for posing the question; let us know what you think and where we go to from here. John; your presence has been a welcome blast of fresh air; make movies and keep us up to date on your adventures. Tim; yours is the post that gives a solid reason for why the many n-c film makers out their need the IAC or something like it that is willing to face the issues and discuss the future of the digital age. If any of you are in SW Utah stop by for a beer/wine/single malt and a chat!!

ned c
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

My oh my what a lot of interesting posts since I added my own ages ago.

Clubs are irrelevent.........get a grip Ned, we are based in the UK (not thankfully the USA) and from where I live there are in excess of twenty active Movie Making Clubs within 1 hour's drive. Each Club is affiliated to the IAC and pays a fee to the IAC every year. Within each club there are many members who each are individual members of the IAC. So one way or another Clubs help considerably in keeping the IAC solvent.

Getting those club members who are not IAC members to join is one avenue that should be actively pursued

Lose the magazine, well yes and no, keep it in its present format but also offer a version to members for online download thus keeping printing and distribution costs down. I for one would prefer an electronic version.

Maybe the tack should be different!!!!!

We definately need a considerably bigger online presense, a UK version of Vimeo, our own movie hosting website, the very members we want are posting on Youtube and Vimeo, learning from online tutorials, learning from forums, learning from just doing their own thing. Web video hosting with subscriptions for capacity/quality etc (like Vimeo) could raise revenue to help pay costs and also as an incentive to make movies for a monthly competition where the viewers (paid up subscribers) vote for the best and the top places win prizes (cash, kit etc)

Finally John, given the vast amount of advice and help that you have received since you joined this forum then surely that is reason enough to join the IAC
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Alan

Post by Alan »

Well these 6 pages created a lot of hot air! Hehehe...

Although there seems to have been a few idea thrown about there seems to be no positive way forward to evolve and transform 'The IAC' into an organisation that any film maker would want to be a part of.

I guess things will just carry on as they are...

Alan
john ingham

Post by john ingham »

Never say never alan, I will give the IAC a go in march for 1 year, it only seems fair to give back some of what i have received on here alone,
Keep trying, for one day you will get it right
Chrisbitz

Post by Chrisbitz »

I think it's a little too modest for you to think this is a one way street with the forum.

The thing that a lot of IAC members don't realise is that you're not taking, by using the forum, you're actually GIVING. If people didn't use the forum, then it would be dead, and people would visit and then leave.

The members arguing for the forum to be members only would surely kill it off!

In these startup times of this forum before it becomes self generating, the few individuals that regularly use it are absolutely vital, as the less active it is, the less active it gets.
I like to make films, this is- my Youtube account. What's yours?

"all of the above is nothing more than nonsensical ramblings, and definately should NOT be misconstrued as anyone's official policy"
Chrisbitz

Post by Chrisbitz »

Alan wrote:Well these 6 pages created a lot of hot air! Hehehe...

Although there seems to have been a few idea thrown about there seems to be no positive way forward to evolve and transform 'The IAC' into an organisation that any film maker would want to be a part of.

I guess things will just carry on as they are...

Alan

There are no answers that could be - Until the management realise that there is a problem, they're not going to start any sort of procedure to solve a problem!
I also am concerned that the management are getting very browbeaten over this - they are very generous with their time, and there probably isn't enough people prepared to do their job either. But unfortunately, it does appear that they're somewhat out of their depth with regard to the huge changes required to bring a 70s organisation into the 10s. (is that how its put?) :-)

OVFM is having the same issues on a smaller and lower budget scale, but to the club's credit, they're aware of the impending issue, and are happy and prepared to make significant changes to attempt to stem the problems, not least admitting them in the first instance!
I like to make films, this is- my Youtube account. What's yours?

"all of the above is nothing more than nonsensical ramblings, and definately should NOT be misconstrued as anyone's official policy"
john ingham

Post by john ingham »

Hi Chris
i don't think for one minute that its a one way thing... i know only to well how good a forum can or can not be..
i help run certain sections on the kayak fishing site...its up to the members to make a forum work ..with questions and answers..ive seen many times where people ask something , get no reply then leave the site

on that site i joined the Angling trust to see what it would do for me...one year later..nothing... so i left

many people will join forums and just enjoy the reading of threads ... that don't make a good forum..we all need to get involved .....
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

john ingham wrote: on that site i joined the Angling trust to see what it would do for me...one year later..nothing... so i left
But, if the environment agency or some other body started lobbying parliament in a move to do something which would curtail your angling community, wouldn't you want a body that would stand up for the anggling community, to support it and to be part of it.
I was 10-15 years a member of the Musicians' Union. Only once did I directly get anything i might call tangible out of it (assistance in going to court over a music shop which went bust before paying me for a guitar I sold them - a rather nice Ibanez George Benson, if you must know) but knowing that I was helpiing to support a body that was fighting the corner of musicians was more than enough for me.
Having said that, I accept it was slightly different in that I was earning a bit of pocket money playing, whereas film making is a hobby.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

What was the saying ... "Ask not what they can do for you, ask what can you do for them..."

As the IAC is a charity and voluntary organisation, if nobody put anything into it, there'd be absolutely nothing for anyone to take out of it.

Even this IAC forum - rightly open to all and everyone (except spammers!) and not confined just to IAC members - is here thanks to the sterling freely given efforts of Dave and the man behind the scenes, Richard Palmer. Without it there'd be one place fewer where people of like minds and interests could find answers, help others, discuss and debate.

There's much more to the IAC than a few 'what-do-they-do-for-me' ticks in boxes.
Alan

Post by Alan »

Welllll....I must admit I was trying to be semi-provocative in my post.

I guess what I was, perhaps naively, hoping to see was a load of ideas banded about on how to grow...transform...make accessible...make enticing...'make it the corner stone of British hobbyist film making for all types of film maker'. (PHEW! That was a mouth full!)

However, there seems to have been talk about 'name changing' (which I must admit I contributed to), 'should it be for club or not', 'the only thing good about 'The IAC' is BIAFF...or BIFF!', etc.

I just thought it would be really cool that if there were a shed load of ideas here then this thread could be trawled by the powers that be to either engage in the chat or pull together a proposal for comment and volunteers to take on certain 'research' aspects to find out what direction 'The IAC' really needs to start moving in. Then the plan for transformation can be put out there, agreed upon and enacted by the whole organisation in a controlled way. (I'm a kinda 'reach for the stars, hoping to make it to the sky sort of bloke!)

Yeah, I know these things fall on the shoulders of the few. As a volunteer organisier for an international gathering of Avatar fans I know only too well, but it doesn't have to be. In volunteering, the thing I have picked up is not to 'just ask for volunteers', but get very specific about what you are looking for. Then people can easily see how they can contribute.

For instance:

"We need someone to go 'out there' and trawl the internet to find out about the world of Indie film making, determine how it all works, how big the network is, ask that community what they need, do a survey/poll, see if there are any opportunities to be filled and report back".

You might find a young film maker out there who would love to do that!

Similarly so for all other types of film making groups, from clubs, to one person film makers, schools and colleges, those into animation of all types, the techie crowd, the family movie makers and so on.

Publish this in the mag and ask for contributors. See if a web page could bet set up to provide more info and guidance?

Each of these reasearch avenues can yield good useable intel to help 'The IAC' plan the way forward and at the same time spread the load out.

I guess, all I'm hoping for is to see positive, energising even(!), ideas and suggestions to push 'The IAC' forward.

Alan
john ingham

Post by john ingham »

Ref the angling trust... my fishing is mainly sea ... the AT were really not the right body to join,as they are mainly freshwater but they did support a safety course i backed... the safety course is now up and running and the AT get a high percentage of the takings
how ever..they did not support me on one of their ventures.... infact they let me down very badly

I also belong to BASC .... they work hard for one of my past times

I agree with you mike... many will sit back and just expect everything.. but if a member does work hard towards a project that would be of interest to the organisation then i would hope the organisation would back the member (un like the Angling trust)

For those interested

The AT ran a comp in 2010.. £20 per head... 20 fished it £400 the cost of the comp (renting the sailing club for a weekend (£200).... AT profit £200

2011 AT wanted everyone to pay up front for same comp before paying out for sailing club.... Anglers refused and said they would pay on the day like year before..AT refuse to pay for sailing club
I paid for sailing club..£200... 36 fished at £20 per head £720........ I took my £200 back ..bought £100 worth of prizes and gave £420 to RNLI ..... even if we were down on numbers ...they still would have made a profit, not as much as the £200 they already made the year before as they would have re invested that with the sailing club rental..but they still would have received the takings on the day (thats if the numbers were down
Suziedave

Post by Suziedave »

Hi
I have enjoyed reading all the posts in this section, and what we need is to take a little from all of you!

I actually preferred the original "Institute of Amateur Cinematographers" name, to the now used, IAC Film & Video Institute. Good memories I suppose. I loved going in school on a Monday, waiting for the teacher to say " what did you do this weekend" I used to say We went to a film festival run by the NW IAC (the full title every time of course).

Perhaps we could be known as " International Association of Cinematographers"

Mind you I can't talk, I have just left my local club after 51yrs of membership, mainly due to rising fuel costs, and living over an hour away. I will still be making films, and of course, I will still serve on iac regional council.

Suzie x :lol:
john ingham

Post by john ingham »

one thing i have noticed is.... since i found out about the facebook page and clicked like..a lot of my friend s from the shooters group can see the IAC page now and have been looking in on the IAC page .... ile bring it up at the meeting in the pub on monday
Ian Woodward

Post by Ian Woodward »

International Association of Cinematographers – a good name, Suzie.

And, into the bargain, we’d keep the venerable, iconic initials IAC.

Ian Woodward

Post by Willy »

Yes, you'are right Ian. That is also my feeling. I like Suzie's suggestion: "International Association of Cinematographers". A very good idea. A bit like SAM, the "Scottish Association of Moviemakers". I referred to it some time ago. But as quite a lot of IAC-enthusiasts are not real movie makers ... The word "cinematographers" has a more general meaning I think.
And the organisation is International with headquarters in Britain. Maybe it will encourage more overseas film enthusiasts to join the new IAC. How to attract new members ?.. that's what the new chairman has asked us to discuss about.
Willy Van der Linden