Facebook Page

IAC General Discussions
TimStannard

Facebook Page

Post by TimStannard »

Following the lead of one or two other clubs, I've set up a Facebook page for Staines Video Makers.

Whilst personal pages tend to be full of all sorts of rubbish, I can see some genuine benefits of using this for clubs and businesses. If you "Like" a Facebook page, your own page receives all the updates to that page, just the same as if you "friend" someone. The difference is, of course, that an organisation's page, assuming it's managed correctly, will have only information relevant to that organisation. Compare this with becoming friends with a person - poor Dave Watterson, Mike Shaw and others who've recently responded to my "friend" requests (thanks to all) will not only get any updates I put on my page about film making, but also my responses to inane comments made by my sisters, along with (if I wa that way inclined) jokes, posts about my favourite footbal team, where I'm having lunch with my wife etc.

Facebook "Pages" seems to overcome that issue. I've "Liked" Reading Film & Video Makers' page and now I can keep a careful eye on what the opposition are doing, without having to remember to visit their website. I've done the same with the IAC FB page so if anything happens ther I'll know.

I think it's a good way of keeping in touch with members of your own club and other clubs. It's also less formal and more immediate than a website (and it feels less of a chore and obligation to update) and, assuming it is set up to do so, invites comments from other people (Thanks Dave for being the first person to comment on it).

One significant argument for setting it up is that younger people in particular live on Facebook and in the same way that we all now expect any organisation to have a website, it seems teh under 50s expect every organisation to have a Facebook page.

It's free. It takes little or no time (and no skill) to set up. The biggest problem is persuading the committtee of its benefits and that there is no downside.

If you have a Facebook account, please take a look at our embryonic page: facebook.com/StainesVideoMakers (it seems most browswers cope without the http://www. at the beginning) . Feel free to leave comments and if you want to keep an eye on what our club is doing then please "Like" the page.

And if you have your own club page, why not post the name here so I can follow what you're up to?
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
col lamb

Re: Facebook Page

Post by col lamb »

Tim

I was the world's most sceptical person about using Facebook until my own club set up a site, now I am not so sceptical as it has proved out to be very useful in keeping us all up to date about activities and matters affecting the club

As for any downside, if people do not want to be bothered then they can be; as you have to opt in unlike round robin e-mails or having to log into the website and check for updates

Main plus is that it is so easy to use, far easier than a forum and if used correctly it can be a great showcase for the club

Good luck with your site
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

It is funny that when journalists are finally catching on to Twitter, we are still dipping our toes in Facebook ... but as Col explained, FB does suit our purposes well. It allows members to interact directly and quickly as well as making a public presence which might help potential members find the club.

FB works to its own weird and wonderful rules, so you do not necessarily see everything that goes onto a page you "like" ... FB follows an algorithm of its own to decide what each member is most likely to want to see! But in practice that does not seem to be a huge problem. Any member who thinks they may have missed a message can go to the club's page and check for themselves.

Fraught - who has been responsible for several innovations in th IAC's online presence - started our Facebook page which does have a steady trickle of news and films.
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

poor Dave Watterson, Mike Shaw and others who've recently responded to my "friend" requests (thanks to all) will not only get any updates I put on my page about film making, but also my responses to inane comments made by my sisters, along with (if I wa that way inclined) jokes, posts about my favourite footbal team, where I'm having lunch with my wife etc.
Not happening here Tim ... I think you can determine who sees which of your messages when posting them - 'private/family friends/public' - something like that anyway.

The FB page looks good. We have one for OVFM - started out with a lot of enthusiasm, but hardly gets used now.

On another tack - I don't and won't ever use Twitter ... to me, its a bit like a toilet wall - crammed with stuff I neither need or want to know!
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Mike Shaw wrote: Not happening here Tim ... I think you can determine who sees which of your messages when posting them - 'private/family friends/public' - something like that anyway.
Probably not happening because I rarely post on my own page, though I sometimes comment (basically because even my ego isn't big enough to think all my "friends" want to know what I'm up to all the time). I've just posted a fairly innocuous comment about dragging my nephew along tomorrow night.

Perhaps you'll let me know if you see that on your own page.
Tim
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

Yes - it appeared! First one I've seen from you though, I think.

Does this mean you're seeing all the dozy messages I put up for my family to see?

Oh dear!

Back to the drawing board...
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Mike Shaw wrote:Yes - it appeared! First one I've seen from you though, I think.
Thanks for confirming, Mike.

That makes sense. I don't think I've posted anything else since you "befriended" me.
Mike Shaw wrote: Does this mean you're seeing all the dozy messages I put up for my family to see?

Oh dear!
Don't worry, I have a family too (as you may remember from teh Merry Xmas 2010 video) so I completely understand!
Tim