Edinburgh Cine & Video Society

IAC General Discussions
edin

Edinburgh Cine & Video Society

Post by edin »

Edinburgh Cine & Video Society (ECVS) celebrates its 75th anniversary this year and has a special event in its programme to mark the occasion. Please see the club website www.ecvs.co.uk for event date. All welcome to share in our celebratory event.
TimStannard

Re: Edinburgh Cine & Video Society

Post by TimStannard »

Many congratulations to EC&VS! From all off us "youngsters" at Staines Video Makers (est 1955)
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Edin - maybe I am being daft ... but what and where is the special event? All I can find on the ECVS website are some Google calendar links with mysterious references like:

"75th Annversary Film Screening & Kevin Brownlows's "Hollywood" Part 1
When
Fri Oct 12 7:30pm – 10:30pm London".
edin

Post by edin »

The 75th Anniversary film screening is on Thursday, 11th October at 7.30pm at the ECVS Clubrooms, 23aFettes Row, Edinburgh.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Thanks for the date ... now what is happening? What are you showing - or at least what are the highlights?

And why not push it more on the club website?

Dave
FredD

Post by FredD »

I thought it was all quite obvious from the EFVS site, if you read it properly ! :roll:
"Films are never released, they escape !" Ben Burtt
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Website issue ... on the left Internet Explorer on the right Firefox:
--------------------------------------------------------------------

So something in the web design is not showing up in Firefox. As I usually use Firefox you can see why I have been puzzled. The paragraph headed in red simply does not appear in my browser. In fact it does not even appear in the frame source code.

I have no idea why the two major browsers are not even seeing the same code. Any clues?

So my half-apologies to ecvs webmaster ... the info is there if you view with Internet Explorer.

Dave
For other baffled Firefox users it says:

"DON'T MISS: 11th October
ECVS 75th Anniversary

The World Premiere of our commemorative film marking our 75th Anniversary. All welcome!
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Whether this has beeen updated or not I don't know, but it's appearing in my Firefox (15.0.1) browser OK.
(in extremely annoying flashing red text which would have me going to another site with some urgency as it happens, but that's a style issue)
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

After some experiment - it seems to be a Java issue. Why that should cause this odd difference I do not know.
Brian Saberton

Post by Brian Saberton »

I didn't get the newsflash about the 75th anniversary film either and I'm on internet explorer. I also have Java installed so don't know why this was.
Brian Saberton
edin

Post by edin »

This response from our web master (or whatever you call your web person) should provide the answers to your browser problems:-

This looks like a browser cache issue. Dave Watterson reports that he can see it with Explorer (which he doesn't usually use) but not with his usual browser, Firefox. When he looks at the frame source in Firefox the code for the new text isn't there, when he looks at the source code in Explorer it is.

That means the source code for the page is different for each browser.

But it is the exact same page on the server. The code presented to each browser should be identical, regardless of whether they they render it properly or not.

The only reason the two browsers could have different source code for the same page is if his Firefox browser is looking at an old, cached version of the page from a time he visited it before, while Explorer is loading the new version afresh, as it has no copy in its local cache.

There is no java code in that section of the page. Nor would I expect java code to make the source code of a page change like it being reported.

I can't replicate the issue they are reporting, but I'd suggest they try (in firefox) Tools - Clear Recent History, (ensure cache is ticked), then Clear Now, then revisit the page. If that fixes the issue, then the problem is the cache settings on the users browser, which is not expiring pages and checking whether they have changed since the last time they visited.

If the above fixed the problem, then it may be something has changed the cache settings on the individuals versions of Firefox.

To check the caching settings on Firefox:

Go to URL: about:config

Check the setting of
browser.cache.check_doc_frequency

Possible values are:
0 – Check for a new version of a page once per session (a session starts when the first application window opens and ends when the last application window closes).

1 - Check for a new version every time a page is loaded.

2 – Never check for a new version – always load the page from cache.

3- Check for a new version when the page is out of date. (Default)

Setting 3 is the usual one, if it is set to 2, the user will never see updates to any webpages they have visited previously unless they clear the browser cache as detailed above.

There is some other info on a similar issue here:
http://www.weatherzone.com.au/help/article.jsp?id=22
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

That is a very helpful reply, thank you.

The mystery remains to some extent. My Firefox has the browser.cache.check_doc_frequency set to 3 and besides my first reaction if a page appears to be misbehaving is to refresh it. That should clear the cached version of the page and load it a-fresh.

But certainly now I can see the notice properly, though the flashing text has gone ... is that a clue?

At any rate, thanks for following this up and making sure we all know about the club's amazing anniversary!