Publicity

IAC General Discussions
fraught

Publicity

Post by fraught »

What sort of publicity/media do you get when you make your films? Do you try and get any at all? What does it do for you if you get it?

As some of you will know i've been on the sharp end of the Publicity stick, but i still try and get some whether its for furthering the chances of people seeing the production i'm working on, or to help further other peoples work.

Just had an article published in a local magazine that's quite nice... http://issuu.com/artonsleeve/docs/locipannum_issue05/8

So tell me your stories! :-)
Only Boring People Get Bored
http://www.fraught.net
Peter Copestake

Re: Publicity

Post by Peter Copestake »

Personally, I only make films for specific purposes and they usually need no further publicity. On behalf of our club we try the local papers and local radio, really just to keep the club's existence in the public eye. We have allowed regional BBC to use clips from a 50 year old film which they have done twice and always credit us.

It makes little difference Folk still don't get who we are but the council calls on our services from time to time.

Peter.
Peter Copestake
john ingham

Post by john ingham »

I am very new to this filming game, my films at the moment are based around my hobbies, so i guess i have a 300 to 400 audience already as they get put on the forums,
in a way its nice to get so many people to view, but you don't get the feedback on the technical side of things..thank gawd for this forum :lol:

in my 1st sentence i said i didn't get any technical feedback, but there again, getting feedback saying they really enjoyed that, does give you a buzz, after all thats why we do it, we enjoy producing something ..and when its admired, it gives us a little high.

I will write a short film one day, Not based on my hobbies, but something that will really mean something to many
Keep trying, for one day you will get it right
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

I make movies for my own enjoyment and very rarely submit them into any competitions although I do put them on Vimeo I do not tend to push them.

As a club we put our movies into competitions and on the web but again we do not tend to push them

I did produce a movie quite a few years ago with the aim of it winning a local competition which is outside the IAC but it is within a group of clubs who hold the competition annually, it worked and it won the competition for our club, the first time in 15 years that we had won this competition.

John, its great that you enjoy your new hobby, but getting feedback is an emotive topic within the IAC and one where I am at varience with many as I firmly believe that movies entered into IAC competitions should be given technical feedback on the mechanics of the movie in addition to the enjoyment factor. Why not enter some of your movies into the competitons and see how they go. If you are local to a movie making club then they will also have competitions and other memebrs who will be very technically minded and hence feedback could be readily achieved.
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb