Viewing BIAFF videos

IAC General Discussions
edin

Viewing BIAFF videos

Post by edin »

The BIAFF videos that are available on the IAC website require a Flash player to view them. This does not allow the videos to be viewed on an IPad or I Phone. Surely this is restricting the number of people who may want to see them. Flash seems to be on it's way out now that HTML5 is being promoted as the way forward for viewing video material across all types of computer/ tablets/ phones. If I want to view these videos on my IPad what solutions are there! Is the IAC considering what format future videos should be uploaded in to be viewed by as many people as possible?
TimStannard

Re: Viewing BIAFF videos

Post by TimStannard »

My understanding is that the IAC site does not host any of the videos. It simply provides links (via embedded players) to the hosting sites (usually Vimeo or YouTube). I thought ipads now play YouTube vids, or am I mistaken? I can't really see film makers stopping uploading to Vimeo (for quality) or YouTube (for "market penetration") - especially if those formats are playing fine on YouTube. Perhaps the method of embedding is the issue?

Over to Dave!
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Youtube and Vimeo are usually offering everything in html5 format - it just takes time to update from the old codes to the new.
I'll keep you posted.

Later that same night ... or earlier the next morning ...

BIAFF 2012 films in the Diamonds, 5-star and 4-star sections

Edin, would you mind checking some of these, please? I think they are all now html5 and ought to work on Apple kit as well as PCs with a reasonably up-to-date browser.

Would others, please take a look at some of them and let me know if you have any problems.

Dave
edin

Post by edin »

Thanks for the information Dave. Updated my browser and can now play the BIAFF videos on my IPad. Just me getting too old to keep up with the times.
:wink:
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

No, Edin ... it was not your fault in any way! You were right.

I had used the old style video code to be sure even PC users with pretty old browsers could see the films ... but that old code does not work on most Apple systems and on many mobile devices. The new code works on all of those ... but a few PC users with very old browsers may have trouble.

Things change too quickly - on that we definitely agree.

Dave