Anyone good on lighting? Or documentaries/travelogues?

IAC General Discussions
TimStannard

Anyone good on lighting? Or documentaries/travelogues?

Post by TimStannard »

I'm in the process of finalising the Staines Movie Makers 2012/13 calendar and I could do with a couple of guest speakers.

Something that's never been covered in my few years at the club is lighting. Does anyone know of anyone who might be available to give a talk/demonstration on basic lighting setups for different situations, basic lighing kit etc...?

It's also a while since we've had anyone talk about how to make a good documentary or travelogue (Michael S, I'd dearly love to have you come and show and talk about some of your material, but I fear we're too far away for you).

We meet Friday evenings in Laleham (a few minutes drive from the M25)

If anyone has any suggestions or wants to volunteer themselves I'd be very grateful.

In fact does/should the IAC maintain a list for clubs of recommended speakers?
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Michael Slowe

Re: Anyone good on lighting? Or documentaries/travelogues?

Post by Michael Slowe »

Tim, you've got to be joking, too far away? I go to Scotland to present to SAM, to Dorset, to Chichester to Norfolk, you are local!! The only problem is dates since I'm under a bit of pressure as I'm finalising a complicated edit and haven't been very good company for 'her indoors' for quite a while. Would have to be late October or anytime November. You can get my E Mail and telephone details from our esteemed regulator if you want.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Very kind of you to respond, Michael. I'll send a personal email.
Tim
Willy

Post by Willy »

If you ever want me to tell everything about my travelogues or documentaries... But not at this moment, Tim. I am recovering from ... but I already feel much better. In Weymouth I still felt awful. Now I realize that health is the most important thing in life. Just like Michael I already presented films in Stirling (Scotland) and Tonbridge (Kent).

I love telling stories. Making a film is always an adventure. An anecdote: Once I made a film about James Ensor. The painter lived in Ostend, a Belgian seaside resort. For my film I needed a cobbled street with houses that were built in the beginning of the 20th century. I found one. But there were only houses belonging to prostitutes. A pink electric light meant they were still available, but in the beginning of the 20th century there was only candlelight. So I rang the bell and asked one of the prostitutes to switch off her pink light. She laughed and did so. Maybe she was disappointed because she thought I was a new client. One minute later I was lying on the cobbled street filming James Ensor while he was passing that very kind prostitute's house. I always tell anecdotes like this, but also about editing my films, about choosing music, et...

But you can't have a better choice than Michael Slowe, Tim. He makes the best films. He made "The Hounds of Baskervilles"* for instance. It is a great film. I have already shown some of them in my club. Success guaranteed! There is only one bad thing about Michael : he is an Arsenal fan. Luckily the Gunners still have Thomas Vermaelen, our Belgian defender.

The day after tomorrow I will be back in England to attend "Just for You" on Saturday, this to enjoy a number of vintage films that will be screened, also to meet some SERIAC-friends again who are they organizers, to enjoy the atmosphere of the Tonbridge Oast Theatre again, to enjoy lunch time at the "Hilden Manor" next door and also to film a scene for my next documentary called "Chagall Remembers Sarah". The main actor will be Alan Whippy, the fabulous Master of Ceremonies at BIAFF 2007.

[* editor: I suspect Willy means "Hounds and the Huntsman".]
Willy Van der Linden
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Willy wrote:If you ever want me to tell everything about my travelogues or documentaries...
Maybe on one of your future trips, Willy. We all love hearing the anecdotes of what happens when we make films and I'm sure you make a fantastic raconteur.
Tim