Edius 6 BEATS Premiere CS5.5

IAC General Discussions
col lamb

Edius 6 BEATS Premiere CS5.5

Post by col lamb »

We all know that Edius 6 is a great piece of editing software, I have always promoted it as a very good editor (it is the other bits and support that are lacking).

Anyway I went to Liverool on Saturday and Sunday to see the Sea Oddessey, you may have seen the giant marionettes on the News, a 60 foot diver, a 30 foot girl and a 6 foot dog walking around the streets. If you missed it shame...................awesome.

Setting the scene, I am there with my Panasonic TM900 with Rode VideoPro mike all set up in manual mode and the sound level cut way down for the very loud music being played and it is set to record 1080i to the 32Gb Kingston SD card which had been re-formatted by the TM900 after previously using it in my Panasonic 151.

Part way through I get a data write error message.

Quick switch to the internal memory and continue.

Back home the video on the internal memory transferred to my PC and all played back great

The video on the SD card copied OK to the PC

In Premiere and Edius the file that caused the data corruption message would not load

In Premiere another file would not show or play audio but the video played OK then froze on a single frame of an event that was on the SD card before it was re-formatted (the timeline continued to play it was just an image that froze). After tweaking the file (cutting it before and after the freeze point) I tried to export the timeline to an MPG4 file and it kept failing.

Now into Edius 6, the same file would freeze visually at the same point as Premiere but the audio would continue with no problem. then after unlinking the audio from the video I took out the frozen section of video and successfully exported the unedited rushes to an MPG4 file that I could watch on the TV.

Well done Edius
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
col lamb

Re: Edius 6 BEATS Premiere CS5.5

Post by col lamb »

Just an update.

The file that gave me the problem was critical to my workflow and I needed to be able to use it.

Within Edius I broke the large file down into 5 minute sections and from each produced a Canopus HQ AVI, when I eventually got to one section where the data problem resided Edius fell over.

Then by trial and error I found a short 10sec section where the fault resides, omitting that and producing another Canopus HQ AVI for the remainder of the footage worked.

The result is that I now have all files available to edit and my resulting timeline of the event is 55 minutes in length.

Incidentally the event I shot was the Liverpool Sea Oddesey where the Giant Marionettes were walking the streets of that great City in a homage to the Titanic, literally is was the greatest theatre I have ever seen, well done to the City of Liverpool and Royal de Luxe who put on the show.
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Glad you tracked down the problematic footage - inchage? - centimetreage? - but it is still intriguing ... what caused the hiccup in the first place?
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Dave Watterson wrote:Glad you tracked down the problematic footage - inchage? - centimetreage? - but it is still intriguing ... what caused the hiccup in the first place?
Whenever I come across any sort of corruption in the digital world, it causes me to take a step back and be staggered at just how little corruption there is given the almost infinitely large amount of data stored in almost infinitely smaller spaces with even more infiniltely miniscule tolerances transferred at phenominal rates.
I've been in computers since working on ICL 2904s in the late 70s and I still struggle to come to terms with how these things can be manufactured to be so incredibly reliable.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Dave

I am not sure what caused the error, the scene concerned was a very long continuous shot and the problem occurred some 22 minutes into it, I am assuming that it is a problem with the SD card that caused it but as I only have two 32Gb cards by the same manufacturer (Kingston) I am going to do a test over the weekend by way of a continuous shot to fill the card completely to see if it was just a hiccup or a permanent fault.

Glad I got the TM version with the internal memory as I'll use that as primary in future.

Tim
Very true, and that is a principle reason why I generally only use 16Gb cards. Without doing further research I am unsure of the memory densities involved but the larger the card the individual memory cells must be smaller hence more potential for error. To manufacture these cards and most other precision electronics requires probably the cleanest environment on the face of the planet, a factor of somthing like 1000 compared to a standard operating theatre, I once had to set up a clean room for Pharmaceutical manufacturing and the level of filtration of the incoming air was such that not even a virus would get into the working environment and the staff had to wear space type suits to work (sorry to digress).

Times have moved on quite a way since I did electronics as part of my Engineering degree and I am a bit out of date with the technicalities of memory manufacture.
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.