Classification

IAC General Discussions
fraught

Re: Classification

Post by fraught »

Depends if you are worried about the answer? ;-)
Only Boring People Get Bored
http://www.fraught.net
fraught

Post by fraught »

I emailed the BBFC... and here is their response to clear all this up.

"The VRA refers specifically to works released on DVD, Blu-ray or any other 'video' formats. Unless you plan to release your films on a video format for distribution within the UK, and these works are not caught by the exemption criteria (outlined in the Act), you will need to submit them for classification. For further information on this matter, you are advised to contact your local Trading Standards office. You will also find information on the 'customers' page of our main website.

If, on the other hand, you only plan to have your work shown at film festivals, or as part of a dedicated programme, it is not necessary for them to be classified by the BBFC for exhibition in cinemas. Under the Licensing Act 2003, cinemas can obtain permission from their local licensing authority to show unclassified films. This is often the arrangement made between the cinema and their licensing authority for festival showings, etc. The cinemas where the events are being held will be able to provide you with further information and advice."

So there you have it... i think we're all quite safe for the moment. :)
Only Boring People Get Bored
http://www.fraught.net
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

Surely any licensing at all is for public performances - meaning performances that the general public can wander into willy nilly. I'd say virtually all - certainly the overwhelming majority -of amateur films are shown to club members (not just members of their own club), their families and friends. I think this is a storm in a teacup, and almost reeks of the 'health and safety' syndrome that has kids wearing eye shields and gloves to play conkers, and the wretched "If you've had an accident .." ambulance chasing solicitors pushing up the cost of everything.

Who would even consider paying to licence every film they make?: the hobby would die overnight.

I do believe that the BBFC has been approached, and they're not interested - its a red herring. But I could be wrong about that.

Today's life is already full of restraints and ridiculous regulations: lets not tempt fate by even considering adding to them.